Vail Purchases Okemo, Sunapee, Crested Butte, and Stevens Pass

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 26 12311 ... LastLast

Vail Purchases Okemo, Sunapee, Crested Butte, and Stevens Pass

http://news.vailresorts.com/corporat...-mnp0.facebook

Not really a surprise considering the move to the epic pass. Wonder what this means for the sale of Burke and Jay.
    2003-2004: 21; 2004-2005: 27; 2005-2006: 31; 2006-2007: 31; 2007-2008: 38; 2008-2009: 43; 2009-2010: 42; 2010-2011: 46; 2011-2012: 33; 2012-2013: 26 2013-14: 18; 2014-15: 17; 2015-16: 7; 2016-17: 14; 2017-18: 23; 2018-19: 34

2019-20 days - 23
    Wachusett: 11/15, 11/21, 12/5, 3/15
    Stratton: 11/26; Mt. Snow: 12/3; Killington: 12/8, 3/2
    Sunday River: 1/21, 1/28; Snow King: 2/9
    Jackson Hole: 2/10, 2/11, 2/12, 2/13, 2/14
    Sugarloaf 2/23, 2/24, 2/25; Waterville: 3/17
    Sugarbush: 3/8, 3/9 (w/MRG), 3/10

Quote Originally Posted by Zand View Post
    http://news.vailresorts.com/corporat...-mnp0.facebook

Not really a surprise considering the move to the epic pass. Wonder what this means for the sale of Burke and Jay.
    Just what I feared. Skiing is basically an monopoly now. Vail resorts really is the worst thing to happen to this sport.

Colorado locals must be pissed. The list of vail owned resorts there must be longer than non-vail resorts now

And it's not like Vail resorts is adding anything to the industry. They are not reviving abandoned ski areas like Saddleback. No, they are taking areas that already do pretty well and buying them out, overrunning the local communities with increased crowds and people from out of state and the super-rich.
    Last edited by gregnye; Jun 4, 2018 at 7:52 AM.
    "Well, they called him Super Skier,
    As he sat around the sundeck,
    For he swore that he would never take a spill.
    When they finally brought him down
    They had to use three toboggans
    To carry all the pieces down the hill."
    --Chad Mitchell Trio

Quote Originally Posted by gregnye View Post
    Just what I feared. Skiing is basically an monopoly now. Vail resorts really is the worst thing to happen to this sport.
    It is interesting, the Walmartification of skiing.

At first skiers were pumped, a 500$ pass to how many resorts??
    Now it's the exact opposite.

Can Vail keep it going? What happens in X amount of years if Vail fails?
    The entire north america ski industry seems to depend on Vail now.

Quote Originally Posted by ironhippy View Post
    It is interesting, the Walmartification of skiing.

At first skiers were pumped, a 500$ pass to how many resorts??
    Now it's the exact opposite.

Can Vail keep it going? What happens in X amount of years if Vail fails?
    The entire north america ski industry seems to depend on Vail now.
    We know that Vail will never fail. If they do they'll just plead innocent to the government for money, kinda like the phone carriers. And I suspect the $500 passes will soon be gone. Once they control enough of the market you'll be forced to pay whatever Robert Katz and the Vail Executives want.

To summarize: The rich get richer, skiing continues to become a more expensive sport, the smaller areas continue to suffer.

Quote Originally Posted by gregnye View Post
    No, they are taking areas that already do pretty well and buying them out, overrunning the local communities with increased crowds and people from out of state and the super-rich.
    I don't get this take. The local communities economies are largely based on tourism - the folks who own restaurants, inns, etc.. in Ludlow are going to be hurt by more business due to Vail buying Okemo? I've never been to Okemo but I have a hard time believing a mountain that size right off of 91 isn't pulling in a ton of business from people in MA, CT and NY. You make is sound like Vail bought out Magic or something.

I can't see the 'super-rich' turning Ludlow VT into Zermatt or Aspen anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn View Post
    I don't get this take. The local communities economies are largely based on tourism - the folks who own restaurants, inns, etc.. in Ludlow are going to be hurt by more business due to Vail buying Okemo? I've never been to Okemo but I have a hard time believing a mountain that size right off of 91 isn't pulling in a ton of business from people in MA, CT and NY. You make is sound like Vail bought out Magic or something.

I can't see the 'super-rich' turning Ludlow VT into Zermatt or Aspen anytime soon.
    I agree with you that these towns already receive tourism and people from out of state. However the ownership of a resort attracts a certain type of people to it. For example MRG gets hardcore visitors, while Killington might get "party-skiers' and Stowe might attract wealthy people from New York.

A change to Vail resorts might change the demographic in Ludlow. I've been to Vail (the actual mountain) a few times, and the people it attracts are obnoxious "powder-hounds" in porsche cayenne's and not the usual vermont "subuaru local" crowds

Not sure why people are up in arms about this. I don't ski either area - so not much personal effect on me. But if i did - I would be very happy, as now I can ski multiple resorts on 1 pass. What's wrong with that?

Vail likes the nice upscale doin’ good resorts to buy. So peak resorts has nothing to worry about

I wonder if this will trigger Alterra to buy some northeast resorts. I wouldn't mind having a few more northeast areas with unlimited access on the Ikon pass.

Okemo and Sunapee seem like a perfect fit for Vail. Overpriced ego cruising mountains.

Thread Information