• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

CT/NY/MA Bootfitters and when to buy

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
So halfway through this past season my boots starting really hurting me. I took apart the boot and checked the liners, shell- everything. I tried putting in some more padding where the shell was on the "pinch point" I had pinpointed and that did nothing.

I was on the couch this spring after skiing and I had my feet up. I realized my left foot has developed...what I can best describe as... a bone growth resembling a "second ankle" an inch diagonal to the real ankle. This describes what I believe it is...https://www.foothealthfacts.org/conditions/accessory-navicular-syndrome-(1)

Anyway...after this not being an issue in many many "stock" ski boots over the years I'm going to cave and get some done by a bootfitter so my foot is better accommodated.

I'm in western CT and would prefer to stay within 2 hours of home if I can to a good bootfitter. Anybody know who's good in that range? I'm also wondering if I should start this process now in the offseason or wait till the fall...whenever its cheaper.

speden

If you want the best selection, then shop at the start of ski season. That's when the stores have the most inventory. That's also when prices will be the highest.

If you want the lowest price, shop late in the season when stores are looking to get rid of their leftover inventory.

I don't think you'd want to add padding at the pain point; rather you'd want to get padding removed there or the shell punched out at that spot so that less pressure would be put on the problem area.

Are you in a low volume liner? Those give better control, but can get uncomfortable. I switched to a mid-volume liner this past season and it was a lot more comfortable for me without giving up a lot of control.

One type of boot you might want to look into are the Fischer boots where they heat up the shell and mold it to the shape of your foot with pressure bags. For pressure spots they put extra padding on the sore point so that the shell gets pushed out there during the molding process.

prsboogie

Subject has been discussed several times, I bet if you do a search you can probably find the threads.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

cdskier

I'm also wondering if I should start this process now in the offseason or wait till the fall...whenever its cheaper.

Now or the fall may not make much difference from a price perspective. If you go now, most shops probably only have what is leftover from last year as new inventory often doesn't arrive until later in the summer from what I recall. A good boot-fitter won't even bother trying to sell you a boot though if it isn't the right one for your shape foot. They will (or should) point blank tell you to come back when they have better choices. So you might get lucky now if they happen to have the right boot for you, but you also may end up having to wait anyway.

mister moose

Western CT is not the nexus of boot fitters. You ski enough, and you have serious custom requirements. Do what it takes, make the drive. (My recommendations would be in Killington, but there are good boot fitters at Mt Snow and Stratton)

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Western CT is not the nexus of boot fitters. You ski enough, and you have serious custom requirements. Do what it takes, make the drive. (My recommendations would be in Killington, but there are good boot fitters at Mt Snow and Stratton)

Haha yeah...really don't want to go to VT just because if future adjustments are needed in-season that would be a royal PITA.

I hear real good stuff about the Boot Lab at Windham...anyone have any experience with them?

elks

Summit Ski Shop in Framingham, MA have good boot fitters and people seem to like Boston Ski & Tennis in Newton, MA, but I don't have firsthand experience there.

Harvey

Website
nyskiblog.com
Rich Hill has moved to Sports Page in Glens Falls. He's excellent.

Not sure if Garrick is still working at Steiners, he was also excellent when my wife saw him in 2009. He was in Valatie NY.

Last edited:

Scruffy

Where do you ski the most? Go near there in case you need future adjustments.

Keith Holmquist at the Pro in Hunter or Irwin at Hunter ski shop.

Bandit2941

Another vote for Keith @ the Pro in Hunter. Great boot fitter and a great guy, you'll be entertained by his stories. I would go in early fall after new stock comes in. Keith will take a look at your foot and know what style boot will be appropriate and start from there. If he has leftover stock from previous year(s) he will sell that to you at a good discount. It might help if you have either small feet or large feet. This year my wife needed new boots and she has small feet. Keith gave her the option of a smoking deal on a pair from two seasons ago or a more expensive price for the current year model. Only difference was the graphics so she took the new old stock.

Blowhard

I have Surefoot inserts in my boots and have always preferred them. My GF is in need of a custom footbed and fitting. We are more local to Okemo than Surefoot in Killington. I am debating going to BootPro in Ludlow. Their footbeds don't look like anything special, but she'll be able to pop in for tuneups more regularly than Killington. My sense though is once we get it right, she won't need to pop in at all.
thoughts?

deadheadskier

Staff member
I have Surefoot inserts in my boots and have always preferred them. My GF is in need of a custom footbed and fitting. We are more local to Okemo than Surefoot in Killington. I am debating going to BootPro in Ludlow. Their footbeds don't look like anything special, but she'll be able to pop in for tuneups more regularly than Killington. My sense though is once we get it right, she won't need to pop in at all.
thoughts?
Shon the owner took care of our boot fitting needs for about a decade in the 90s at Northern ski works. He's exceptional

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app