Jay Peak / Burke Sweepstakes - Page 7

AlpineZone

View Poll Results: Who will purchase Jay and/or Burke?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Vail

    3 10.00%
  • Alterra

    8 26.67%
  • Powdr

    2 6.67%
  • Peaks

    2 6.67%
  • Boyne

    0 0%
  • Other

    8 26.67%
  • Independent/New Company

    7 23.33%
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 82
  1. #61
    Smellytele's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Right where I want to be
    Posts
    7,036
    Quote Originally Posted by from_the_NEK View Post
    Who knows what is going to happen here. Jay is obviously the more attractive property. However, on the Burke side, I have to wonder if the Summer season with weddings and MTB is becoming more profitable than the winter season (Way lower costs to operate). That might make the resort attractive to an entity that is currently not involved in the ski resort game. Would a luxery hotel operation like Omni Resorts be interested adding a biking destination (that also happens to have skiing) as part of their portfolio.
    How many weddings are held at Burke?
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days 2018/19 - 75 days

  2. #62
    thetrailboss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    NEK by Birth; Alta/Snowbird by Choice
    Posts
    27,649
    Quote Originally Posted by Smellytele View Post
    How many weddings are held at Burke?
    Not too many...yet.
    Live, Ski, or Die!


  3. #63
    Quote Originally Posted by Smellytele View Post
    How many weddings are held at Burke?
    Quite a few. I think they have three locations (base lodge, mid-burke lodge, and outdoor weddings on Lower Dipper at the Pavilion). I'm not sure if they can host three separate weddings at a time but I know they have at least one almost every weekend this summer/early fall. However, Burke is also very close to a lot of off mountain wedding venues (Tempson Barn, Inn and Mtn View, and Pavilion in the Pines). Burke benefits a lot from its proximity to these as the nearest nice hotel, use of the large seating capacity in the restaurants for rehearsal dinners, and the ballroom(s) for receptions.

    You can see my photos here - http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

  4. #64
    I doubt many will. What would keep someone from holding one down the street, at a much more VT like farm with the same views, probably for less and you get much more of a custom experience? They'll get some by being a second option. A great wedding is still probably just an average weekend during ski season revenue wise.

    What do you guys think Burke is even worth? It can't be much more than Catamount or Wildcat. Id put the number at 5 million. Whoever picks it up needs to for a song for the financial bath they will take for YEARS, before its ever profitable.
    Live Free or Die
    137 days 08-09
    16 days 09-10

  5. #65
    Checking Burke's website, they could probably make it just a little easier to find out about weddings at the mountain. I had to back out of the site and then Google it. And then the page for it is pretty underwhelming.
    You can see my photos here - http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

  6. #66
    thetrailboss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    NEK by Birth; Alta/Snowbird by Choice
    Posts
    27,649
    Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    I doubt many will. What would keep someone from holding one down the street, at a much more VT like farm with the same views, probably for less and you get much more of a custom experience? They'll get some by being a second option. A great wedding is still probably just an average weekend during ski season revenue wise.

    What do you guys think Burke is even worth? It can't be much more than Catamount or Wildcat. Id put the number at 5 million. Whoever picks it up needs to for a song for the financial bath they will take for YEARS, before its ever profitable.
    Depends on if the sale includes the hotel or not.
    Live, Ski, or Die!


  7. #67
    thetrailboss's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    NEK by Birth; Alta/Snowbird by Choice
    Posts
    27,649
    Quote Originally Posted by from_the_NEK View Post
    Checking Burke's website, they could probably make it just a little easier to find out about weddings at the mountain. I had to back out of the site and then Google it. And then the page for it is pretty underwhelming.
    Yes. That is what happens when this guy was your manager for too long:



    They do need to clean-up the website and make it easier to figure out who does what. They also need to fire up their marketing/special events department.
    Live, Ski, or Die!


  8. #68
    Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    Depends on if the sale includes the hotel or not.
    I put my number at 5 million including the hotel. You are asking whoever buys it to buy it on hopes it will turn a profit. It never has and has proven how many times over to fail? I think we are on round 4 or 5 now right?

    That hotel needs more heads in beds than 60,000 skier visits will provide to not be a boat anchor financially.
    Live Free or Die
    137 days 08-09
    16 days 09-10

  9. #69

    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Barto, Pennsylvania
    Posts
    1,425
    If they end up selling both of these resorts, including all the hotels and lodges, isn't that going to end up as a massive loss to all of the owners? If I was them, I would try to find an operator and keep the ownership. They would basically become a REIT, with a lease back to own operator. In the longterm that would be a better return on their investments. Maybe the Mueller kids would be interested in doing that???

  10. #70
    Smellytele's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Right where I want to be
    Posts
    7,036
    Quote Originally Posted by mbedle View Post
    If they end up selling both of these resorts, including all the hotels and lodges, isn't that going to end up as a massive loss to all of the owners? If I was them, I would try to find an operator and keep the ownership. They would basically become a REIT, with a lease back to own operator. In the longterm that would be a better return on their investments. Maybe the Mueller kids would be interested in doing that???
    owners of what?
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days 2018/19 - 75 days

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 9:40 PM.