• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Poison ivy spotting

Abominable

I usually get it around Memorial Day and have it until Columbus Day, despite being very careful. I got it BAD as a kid, but as an adult it's just kind of there, always lingering in the melee with the bug bites, bike bruises and other scrapes.

Anyway, as a kid we had all these "survival" type books (Foxfire, Stalking the Wild Asparagus... 70s hippie stuff) and I remember one where the guy ate poison ivy, starting with the little shoots first thing in spring, to basiacally develop an immunity. This thread jogged my memory on that... a little googling, and it is the Stalking (Ha!) the Wild Asparagus guy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Euell_Gibbons

Anyway, rambling post while I sit on hold (45 minutes and counting!) arguing with Wells Fargo over a measly 100 bucks.

Days are getting shorter, September on its way, poison ivy, along with the sugar maple and everything else, soon to start turning.... looking forward to ski season!

Matt Miller

Seems awful mate. Been there but my rash wasn't that bad. Calamine lotion helped though.