Killington Closing Juggernaut - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Smellytele View Post
    Why is Juggernaut a blue trail anyway. From what I remember of it it was pretty flat. I haven't skied it in almost 30 years though.
    Because ALL trails off Killington Peak were regraded to Blue or above. This was to keep beginners off the peak and spare them from the crazy intersections. Will be interesting to see if K keeps those grades with the new tunnels this year.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

It was a green trail back in the 80's and 90's. I never skied it, I always heard that it was too flat for actually skiing or making turns on.

It was definitely part of Killingtons numbers game back then. The claim was longest trail in the east and the gondola was the longest lift. It's sort of funny how both turned out to be less than ideal ideas. Top to bottom lifts at most mountains don't really make any sense for intermediate to advanced skiers and either does maintaining a ten mile long jeep road that no one cares to ski just to make a claim.

Marketing claims are Killingtons entire reason to be

Quote Originally Posted by jaytrem View Post
    They changed it so that beginners who can't really skate or pole wouldn't ski it.
    They changed it to discourage beginners from trying to ski from the Peak and finding themselves overwhelmed on GE & GN.

That’s a bummer, I had always wanted to try this trail just to say I had done it. The article included a photo of what will be closed, it is the upper portion only:

E98C3C16-830F-474E-BF8D-E038A8F11D51.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by benski View Post
    Killington should also negotiate to cut a narrow trail between Sassafras and South ridge, They could really use more narrow trails.
    Narrow trails at Kmart? What would all the NY/NJ/CT skiers & riders do? Oh right, in a few years it would just be widened like all the rest.
    Sugarbush skier since 1985.........Think Snow!

Completely pointless trail except for the "10 miles long" marketing campaign. I "skied" it once, what a waste of time.

It's completely absurd they have to "swap land" in the interest of some stupid bird that maybe has a couple nests up there. Being that this creature has wings I bet it can build a nest a couple miles down the road just as easily..

Quote Originally Posted by bdfreetuna View Post
    Completely pointless trail except for the "10 miles long" marketing campaign. I "skied" it once, what a waste of time.

It's completely absurd they have to "swap land" in the interest of some stupid bird that maybe has a couple nests up there. Being that this creature has wings I bet it can build a nest a couple miles down the road just as easily..
    It was removed from the endangered species list as well
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days

Quote Originally Posted by bdfreetuna View Post
    The birds always win. I have a summer place on Cape Cod, and every year we lose more beach and fishing holes to a stupid bird called the Piping Plover. Now I have another bird I don't like.
    2017-2018: Rookie season. 6 days at Wachusett so far.

Bird nuts are some of the most intense environmentalists out there. They make PETA look like pacifists.
    Live Free or Die
    137 days 08-09
    16 days 09-10

Thread Information