All Mountain Skis That Are Great In Moguls - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    I say Volkl Kanjos. See this thread: http://forums.alpinezone.com/showthr...ght=mogul+skis

Quote Originally Posted by Domeskier View Post
    Dynastar Twisters are great on icy Pocono bumps. It takes a bit of effort to carve them on groomers. Never skied them in deep snow, but that's not likely to be an issue in PA.

That being said, I've seen plenty of people rip bumps on all kinds of skis. I wouldn't recommend a rockered ski for someone who spends a lot of time in bumps, but I think technique is far more important to good bump skiing than ski choice. A dedicated bump ski will probably be lighter and quicker edge to edge and will help you get out of the back seat when your technique flounders, but it won't dramatically improve your bump skiing the way a shaped ski will improve your carving or a rockered ski will improve your powder skiing.
    Looking for an all mountain ski . My leg strength is good and can muscle some stiff skis around but a dedicated bump ski might not be great for groomers .I ski on Nordica steadfast with a dynafit radicals when skiing groomers as an alternative but need an all mountain I really love the steadfast's for most everything but bumps , the bindings wont hold up to constant bump flexing so I'm gentle with them.

The problem with modern All Mountain skis in bumps is too much sidecut, too much stiffness towards the tip and a wide tip shovel.

All mountain skis aren't designed to ski straight. They want to always be on edge and have flex patterns that performs best at a high edge angle.

All of this goes completely against what you want to do skiing bumps. To zip a line, you want to pretty much forget your edges entirely. You ski flat. Sidecut and wide shovel are not your friends while skiing flat.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Holy crap. I gotta say, I'm impressed. Yall have already been incredibly helpful. Thanks for all the input.

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    that's when you are most likely to fall into the backseat as your weight position becomes more neutral. Having soft tails exasperates the potential for this
    The backseat is certainly where my problem is. I've mostly skied flexible park/all mountain skis the past few seasons, probably because the all mountain carvers I was usually recommended (Volkl Kendo, etc) were too stiff and had too much sidecut. I guess I liked the soft shovels on the Kinks, but the soft tails aren't doing me any favors. Maybe that's why when I move the demo bindings to the furthest forward position, I feel more stable (longer tail makes it feel stiffer?? )

Quote Originally Posted by mister moose View Post
    go rogue and say none of the above
    I love rogue opinions. Saving the cash to be better used elsewhere is definitely an option.

There's a lot you're doing right...Lets look at some photos:
    Mister Moose, you really didn't have to put that much work into helping me, but I am stunned and sincerely grateful that you did. You helped me more in one post than an entire $100 lesson did. I mean, the lesson was fine, but everything he told me was essentially from the Bumps For Boomers text book. Anyway, that's irrelevant; thanks for your help.

Here cresting a small bump, look at your lower leg. There is no forward shin pressure...A few seconds later in the stop, weight way back.
    I see what you mean. I noticed last season that coming out of right hand turns I seem to be in the backseat more often than left turns. I can see from your write-up that I have got to really focus more on driving the tips into the trough and maintaining strong forward pressure.

They are divergent. Ask yourself what is going on
    I'm either over-steering my downhill ski or under-steering my uphill ski; likely both. I'm guessing it's a result of learning to ski by the snow plow --> stem christie method, and some of those ingrained habits cropping up.

Buy the skis you like...you aren't yet where you can make the best evaluation on what those skis should be
    This makes total sense. Honestly, the skis I like are the ones that will help (or at least not hinder) my ability to ski bumps better. The list in my OP was just a bunch from a class of ski that I thought would do that. But you're right, I don't know enough to make that judgment.

Get some coaching on edging, timing, hip position and stance in general, weight distribution, perfecting your turn and different kinds of turns, line selection and honing your ability to ski different lines of the same bump.
    Will do. I've got my eye on the Mary Jane bump clinic.

a sin for someone who lives in Colorado
    Ooooooh man. I probably should've been clearer in my OP, but I figured if I wrote another word I'd be banned permanently. The San Juans are just where I ski, almost exclusively. If any citizens of Colorado had heard you say that, their collective white-hot rage would've burned bright enough to melt down the host server for this forum. 'Cause I'm the creature most despised and reviled by Coloradans: a Native G@#D&?n Texan. Residing in, being raised in, and born in Texas, 12 hours southeast of Taos is as close as I've ever lived to a ski lift. So 2 trips a season = 10 days = about as much as I can hope for. Sorry if I mislead anyone.

read mogul books & watch mogul videos to make the most of your time on hill, there's lots of material out there. Look at Pugski.com, tons of mogul advice and videos there. Find a good mogul coach or instructor. Take at least 3 classes in those 10 days. Get more video of yourself, (preferably better quality video*) and study it.
    On it. I've read DiPiro's book (I should probably revisit that), Jean-Claude Killy's "Situational Skiing" and R. Mark Elling's "The All-Mountain Skier". So I have some understanding of what I'm supposed to be doing, I'm just not always sure what I'm doing wrong. I just know I look like shit and wanna ski bumps like I see some folks do it (smooth, clean, and tightkneed). I've posted on PugSki, but I haven't dug around much on there for bump content, I will be sure to. And I'll follow your pointers next time I get someone to film me.

Again, thanks Mister Moose. Are you a coach or an instructor? If not, you should be. I'd pay for feedback like that.

Dynastar Twisters
    get out of the back seat when your technique flounders
    Well, this is definitely a big flaw in my skiing. I liked the Originators... and it sounds like the Twisters are on the softer side. I'll probably keep an eye out for a cheap set...

Quote Originally Posted by Siliconebobsquarepants View Post
    His skiing isn't bad . If I had to critique it would be a lil back seat and not enough knee bending.

edit . I'm sort of in the same boat as far as a ski need goes . So I'm glad the OP posted the subject.
    Thanks, man! And let me know what ski you end up on.

Quote Originally Posted by tumbler View Post
    I can only imagine the constructive feedback (ridicule)
    I welcome the feedback and embrace the ridicule! Keep it coming!!

"I just know I look like shit and wanna ski bumps like I see some folks do it smooth, clean, and tightkneed"

I have an old ski buddy that never progressed past intermediate. His biggest impediment was his stance If I had to pick one flaw I see it's "Your stance is to erect in the bumps" Lower your upper body and move your hands forward and your tips will almost automatically drive into the next trough. With an erect stance in the bumps when you crest the next bump you have nothing left to drive your tips into the next trough . Try standing straight up and pressing on the balls of your feet ( backseat instantly ) . Now squat and try the same thing ...big difference !

Quote Originally Posted by CS2-6 View Post
    I'm either over-steering my downhill ski or under-steering my uphill ski; likely both. I'm guessing it's a result of learning to ski by the snow plow --> stem christie method, and some of those ingrained habits cropping up.

Yes, but it goes deeper. Why are you doing that? It's a short grainy video, and I may very well be wrong, but it looks to me like on right turns you delay or never really commit to the outside foot, or if/when you do, it doesn't last. The left foot drops because it isn't edged/weighted, and then ask why isn't it edged, and you get to lateral body position. Steering. This is why I said you need to deconstruct your turn. Wax on, wax off. Do you understand that reference? If not, go watch The Karate Kid.

Residing in, being raised in, and born in Texas, 12 hours southeast of Taos is as close as I've ever lived to a ski lift. So 2 trips a season = 10 days = about as much as I can hope for. Sorry if I mislead anyone.

Oh. Why haven't you moved to Colorado yet?

I'd pay for feedback like that.

Cool. Come to VT and buy me a beer. Better yet, come in late April and hang out on Superstar for a weekend. (Superstar in April and May is probably unknown in Texas, but it is Bumper central in the East.)

Oh. Lose the backpack. You're not off skiing the Hobacks. It messes with your center of gravity, adds weight, and when it moves out of synch with extension/absorbtion it screws you up.
    Last edited by mister moose; Aug 18, 2018 at 11:39 AM.

Whatever happened to Dan DiPiro?

Kastle FX85 without the HP if you want it flexier

There's a lot of ways to ski bumps though and if you aren't trying to zip line I would just go with your top "all mountain" pick. You will adapt.

My above suggestion is probably not too far off the mark though, even though I have no owned nor skied one, it was one of my top picks before I bought Atomic Vantage 90 CTi (no ragerts there but probably would have gone Kastle if I wanted a mogul ski).
    2019/2020 season

Berkshire East [12/20, 1/7, 1/10, 1/22, 1/24]
    Bretton Woods [1/3, 1/30]
    Cannon [2/19]
    Gunstock [1/2]
    Mad River Glen [1/29, 2/11]
    Magic [3/1, 3/8]
    Mount Snow [11/14, 11/21, 12/2]
    Pico [2/23]
    Smugglers Notch [2/12]
    Wachusett [12/16]

Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    That's a question I'd like to hear the answer to myself.

Lower your upper body and move your hands forward and your tips will almost automatically drive into the next trough.
    That makes a lot of sense. I read a lot indicating that you need to have a more upright stance in the bumps, but now I'm thinking that's relative; specifically, relative to the hip angulation you see in slalom and downhill styles.

Why are you doing that?
    You know, I've noticed that I've always been more comfortable stopping to the left rather than the right. It's the first way I learned to stop as a kid and even now on steep stuff I find myself spilling more speed to turning to the left and less in control to the right. And that biomechanical flaw might go really really deep... when I'm squatting heavy weight I tend to twist a little to the left coming up.

I didn't realize it was obvious in steered turns on easy blue runs though.

Watch The Karate Kid.
    You mean that really old movie? With Will Smith's son? Naw I didn't, the previews didn't look that good. I can catch a fly with my ski poles though.

'Cause God Bless Texas.

Cool. Come to VT and buy me a beer. Better yet, come in late April and hang out on Superstar for a weekend. (Superstar in April and May is probably unknown in Texas, but it is Bumper central in the East.)
    Man... you really shouldn't make offers you'll regret following through on. If work sends me up to Yankeeland in April I'll definitely be taking you up on that. Sounds like it'd beat a Mary Jane mogul clinic in a cost/benefit analysis, even though I have no idea what "Superstar" is. Hell, I didn't even know you could ski in May up there.

Just don't call me "grasshopper" or make me walk on rice paper (your turn for the "reference challenge").

Oh. Lose the backpack.
    Ok....... but where am I going to carry this 32oz of coffee, beef jerky, and tall boy then?

Quote Originally Posted by bdfreetuna View Post
    I would just go with your top "all mountain" pick. You will adapt.
    This brings up another question: what length skis would yall recommend for me (5'11", 165lbs)? And I know my poles should be short, but how short? 44-45"?

Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    Lemme know if you find out.

Lower your upper body and move your hands forward and your tips will almost automatically drive into the next trough.
    Thanks, that makes a lot of sense to me. I'd heard you want a taller stance in the bumps, but that's probably in a relative sense, relative to the greater hip angulation in slalom and downhill styles.

Why are you doing that?
    You know, I've noticed that I always feel a little more comfortable stopping to the left than the right. It's the way I first learned, and even now on steep stuff I've seen that I tend to spill more speed turning to the left and less in control to the right. And that bio-mechanical flaw might go really really deep; when I'm squatting heavy weight, I have a tendancy to twist a little bit to the left coming up.

I just didn't know it was obvious even on easy blue runs.

go watch The Karate Kid.
    You mean that really old movie? With Will Smith's kid? Naw, the previews didn't look that good. I can catch a fly with my ski poles though...

'Cause God Bless Texas.

Cool. Come to VT and buy me a beer
    Don't make offers you'll regret following through on. If work sends me up to Yankeeland I'll definitely be taking you up on that. Sounds like it might even beat a Mary Jane clinic in a cost/benefit analysis. And yeah, I don't know what Superstar is; I didn't even know you could still ski in May up there.

Just don't call me "grasshopper" or make me walk on rice paper (your turn in the Reference Challenge).

Oh. Lose the backpack
    But then where am I going to carry this 32oz of coffee, bag of beef jerky, and tall boy?

Quote Originally Posted by bdfreetuna View Post
    You will adapt.

Thread Information