All Mountain Skis That Are Great In Moguls - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 46
  1. #21
    CS2-6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    Frantically crawling out of the backseat
    Posts
    22
    Quote Originally Posted by JimG. View Post
    Whatever happened to Dan DiPiro?
    Lemme know if you find out.

    Quote Originally Posted by Siliconebobsquarepants View Post
    Lower your upper body and move your hands forward and your tips will almost automatically drive into the next trough.
    Thanks, that makes a lot of sense to me. I'd heard you want a taller stance in the bumps, but that's probably in a relative sense, relative to the greater hip angulation in slalom and downhill styles.

    Quote Originally Posted by mister moose View Post
    Why are you doing that?
    You know, I've noticed that I always feel a little more comfortable stopping to the left than the right. It's the way I first learned, and even now on steep stuff I've seen that I tend to spill more speed turning to the left and less in control to the right. And that bio-mechanical flaw might go really really deep; when I'm squatting heavy weight, I have a tendancy to twist a little bit to the left coming up.

    I just didn't know it was obvious even on easy blue runs.

    Quote Originally Posted by mister moose View Post
    go watch The Karate Kid.
    You mean that really old movie? With Will Smith's kid? Naw, the previews didn't look that good. I can catch a fly with my ski poles though...

    Quote Originally Posted by mister moose View Post
    Oh. Why haven't you moved to Colorado yet?
    'Cause God Bless Texas.

    Quote Originally Posted by mister moose View Post
    Cool. Come to VT and buy me a beer
    Don't make offers you'll regret following through on. If work sends me up to Yankeeland I'll definitely be taking you up on that. Sounds like it might even beat a Mary Jane clinic in a cost/benefit analysis. And yeah, I don't know what Superstar is; I didn't even know you could still ski in May up there.

    Just don't call me "grasshopper" or make me walk on rice paper (your turn in the Reference Challenge).



    Quote Originally Posted by mister moose View Post
    Oh. Lose the backpack
    But then where am I going to carry this 32oz of coffee, bag of beef jerky, and tall boy?

    Quote Originally Posted by bdfreetuna View Post
    You will adapt.
    That brings up my next question. At 5'11" and 165 lbs. and intermediate skiing ability, what length ski should I be using? I know I need short poles, but how short? 44-55"?

  2. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2-6 View Post

    That brings up my next question. At 5'11" and 165 lbs. and intermediate skiing ability, what length ski should I be using? I know I need short poles, but how short? 44-55"?
    I'm your height and have bump skis ranging from 168cm to 182cm. I wouldn't recommend anything less than 175cm. Just make sure you're not getting something to stiff in the tips. A longer, softer ski will help with speed control, which is one of the keys to gaining confidence in bumps. For poles, I generally go with 105cm-107cm (i.e., 41-42 inches). At you height, anything over 44 inches will probably interfere with absorption and keeping your hands forward.

  3. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Domeskier View Post
    I'm your height and have bump skis ranging from 168cm to 182cm. I wouldn't recommend anything less than 175cm.
    Why do you say that?

    Professional bump skiers are on shorter skis with their dedicated mogul skis than their "normal" skis.

    Look at this mogul podium.

    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC



  4. #24
    JimG.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Hopewell Jct., NY
    Posts
    10,661
    Quote Originally Posted by CS2-6 View Post
    Lemme know if you find out.
    It's a great read, especially for an aspiring bumper:

    http://forums.alpinezone.com/showthr...ght=dan+dipiro

  5. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Why do you say that?

    Professional bump skiers are on shorter skis with their dedicated mogul skis than their "normal" skis.

    Look at this mogul podium.

    From dipiro post #34 in 2005 "As for length... with bump skis, I always tend to go with the longest available. (I'm 6 ft. tall.) Shorter skis are good for whipping around in the air, but all bump skis are relatively short these days. (I used to compete on 195s/200s.)"

    Old post but still relevant ? I like longer skis as well . Maybe some springlike effect when you leave a trough and start your next turn.

    I don't know how many of the competitions are zip line vs natural . I would tend to think shorter skis would favor that type ?

    I've only ever entered one competition so just speculating from a recreational point of view.

  6. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by Siliconebobsquarepants View Post
    I've only ever entered one competition so just speculating from a recreational point of view.
    Looking at a bunch of podium shots (here's a recent one below, with all 6 medalists), there's definitely a lot of variability among the mogul pros. But top of head seems like longer than average these days, and top of head obviously isnt that long.

    I also found some pros only going chin height for the other extreme, but I'd say nose to middle of forehead'ish seems to be the average, and that's clearly short for an expert skier. In the below pic, the "longest" mogul skis are only top-of-forehead, and that's Mikael Kingsbury, and he's the best mogul skier in the world.

    Last edited by BenedictGomez; Aug 21, 2018 at 9:28 PM.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC



  7. #27
    My daily drivers are a 170 Volkl Kendo. I went a bit shorter because I like to ski woods and bumps. Not ideal bump skis, but they work very well for all mountain skiing and getting into the bumps and woods every so often.
    SoVT

  8. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Looking at a bunch of podium shots (here's a recent one below, with all 6 medalists), there's definitely a lot of variability among the mogul pros. But top of head seems like longer than average these days, and top of head obviously isnt that long.

    I also found some pros only going chin height for the other extreme, but I'd say nose to middle of forehead'ish seems to be the average, and that's clearly short for an expert skier. In the below pic, the "longest" mogul skis are only top-of-forehead, and that's Mikael Kingsbury, and he's the best mogul skier in the world.
    Those podium shots are a bit misleading when it comes to judging ski length. The skiers are usually resting the skis on their shoulders, so you need to take into account the angle the skis make with the body. Kingsbury is 175cm and skiing what appears to be his ID One signature ski, which only comes in 172cm. ID One has a helpful chart for determining mogul ski length. At 5'11 (approximately 180cm), it would recommend a 177cm:

    idoneusa-ski-selection-chart.jpg

    Most mogul skis max out at 180-182cm. At 5'11, I think it's really a matter of personal preference whether the OP goes 175cm or 182cm. Being 5'11 myself and having skis in both lengths, I find I prefer the longer.

  9. #29
    I have also seen at times that at the podium the skiers aren't holding the skis that they skiied the event on. Sometimes you see them click out of their skis and somebody gives them a pair of skis to hold for the the camera for advertising purposes.

  10. #30
    Quote Originally Posted by skiur View Post
    I have also seen at times that at the podium the skiers aren't holding the skis that they skiied the event on. Sometimes you see them click out of their skis and somebody gives them a pair of skis to hold for the the camera for advertising purposes.
    Yeah, I've seen that too. I guess sponsors don't want to advertise their products with scuffed up tips and scratched top sheets.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 5:42 PM.