• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Looking for recommendations for a family ski holiday in April

Ohaber

By the way...
Can you please refer me to forums that deal with planning trips and attractions for families in the Northeastern United States? … In case there is no snow ... I want to be prepared for this option ...
We already been at the regular route from Toronto to New York 2 years ago ... It was on September / October.
This time we are landing in New York in April and we are looking for something that will suit to our children in case there will be a bad weather.
The goal is not to use domestic flights but only by car and also with out of long hours of driving.
So if you have recommendations for different forums on this subject ... that I can ask there .. it would be great ... or if you have a personal recommendations according to what I wrote above ...
Thanks again and a wonderful weekend.

NYDB

just was looking through my kids school calendar. They have spring break after easter. So I was looking heading out 4-5 days. I was thinking a sunshine/ Lake louise/Revy trip perhaps.

Wanted to keep it on the ikon pass. Snowbird might be a good bet with a good snow year.

I figure I'll just wait until a couple weeks before and see what looks good. Worst case ontario we'll do a few day trips to sugarbush / killington.

bigbog

Logistics isn't the issue, whether you know it or not....it's the planet's weather. Further down I mention the American West, but the Canadian Rockies is probably #1 for dependability of cooler weather in late winter!...and probably the last stand of skiing areas/communities.....actually being planned and built, aside from Vladmir Putin's secretive hideout...providing ample terrain to challenge his skiing skills:lol:.
April....in New England, for dependable skiing? = NO. Weather systems are so variable in March and April I'd be calling Killington and Sunday River on a weekly basis to see how long they plan on keeping any instructional staff aboard.

Last edited:

bdfreetuna

Well if you look at the map I put up on the last page -- consider that in mid April all of those trails will probably still be open @ Jay.

I wouldn't call Jay Peak a beginner's paradise but I doubt anywhere else in NE will have as much open beginner terrain in April. Low angle/beginner woods too. Who else can offer that?

BenedictGomez

Well if you look at the map I put up on the last page -- consider that in mid April all of those trails will probably still be open @ Jay.

I saw your map, I just disagree with it given > 1/2 the acreage you highlighted in yellow are actually Intermediate trails, not Beginner trails. And the section of NorthStar you highlighted is often allowed to wonderfully mogul-up, sometimes making it more of a black diamond than an intermediate. For true beginners, I wouldn't count on being able to access anything other than stuff reachable via Metro Chair. If they're advanced beginners or low-level intermediates, then yes, the stuff you highlighted like Montrealer and Angels' Wiggle etc... would be doable.

The reality is, April 15 to April 22nd in the east is likely not going to be a great beginner skier time-frame.

twinplanx

You might consider Great Wolf Lodge in Pennsylvania. Although your chances of finding snow there late in the season greatly diminish, the indoor water park may be a good distraction for the kids. It's probably just over 2 hours drive time from NYC. Better bets for snow are at least 4 hours away.

If your primary interest is skiing in the Northeast, this is your forum. Good news is you have plenty of time to plan. The more you contribute to this conversation, the better your experience will be.

Sent from my LG-K373 using Tapatalk

bdfreetuna

I saw your map, I just disagree with it given > 1/2 the acreage you highlighted in yellow are actually Intermediate trails, not Beginner trails. And the section of NorthStar you highlighted is often allowed to wonderfully mogul-up, sometimes making it more of a black diamond than an intermediate. For true beginners, I wouldn't count on being able to access anything other than stuff reachable via Metro Chair. If they're advanced beginners or low-level intermediates, then yes, the stuff you highlighted like Montrealer and Angels' Wiggle etc... would be doable.

The reality is, April 15 to April 22nd in the east is likely not going to be a great beginner skier time-frame.

Yes my map was designed for "advanced beginners", ie people who are willing to push their comfort zone, but only slightly.

I don't recommend April 15-22 either but given the parameters we have to work with...

As DHS says Sugarloaf might be a better option, however I think for an "advanced beginner" Jay gives you more options. Also slightly more reliable snow pack.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Disagree with the both of those statements regarding Sugarloaf.

Loaf retains snow better than anywhere in the East. They pretty much lead the East April 1st on every year. Aside from really bad years, it's not uncommon for Sugarloaf to have 600+ acres open late April. I think the combination of the Double Runner area + Whiffletree + trails off Bucksaw pod is a far superior beginner terrain offering than exists at Jay. And if you want to include easy blues for beginners to test themselves on, there might not be a better trail in the East for that than Tote Road. Throw in the Timberline area up top for great beginner skiing.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

DoublePlanker

Yes my map was designed for "advanced beginners", ie people who are willing to push their comfort zone, but only slightly.

I don't recommend April 15-22 either but given the parameters we have to work with...

As DHS says Sugarloaf might be a better option, however I think for an "advanced beginner" Jay gives you more options. Also slightly more reliable snow pack.

I skied several times in the spring with my beginner son. Spring conditions can make it much more difficult. The low angle baked in the sun can lead to corn, puddles, barespots, etc. Just heavy wet conditions. Makes it tough for beginners. So even if there is enough base depth, good weather could actually make conditions quite challenging.

skiur

You might consider Great Wolf Lodge in Pennsylvania. Although your chances of finding snow there late in the season greatly diminish, the indoor water park may be a good distraction for the kids. It's probably just over 2 hours drive time from NYC. Better bets for snow are at least 4 hours away.

If your primary interest is skiing in the Northeast, this is your forum. Good news is you have plenty of time to plan. The more you contribute to this conversation, the better your experience will be.

Where in PA can you ski in the middle of April? The op wants to ski, not go to water parks.

danimals

I’ve been able to ski in pa mid April pretty regularly. Big boulder, camelback, and blue are often open until mid April.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

BenedictGomez

I’ve been able to ski in pa mid April pretty regularly. Big boulder, camelback, and blue are often open until mid April.

Regularly? That's total BS.

Even IF it's a year when the Pocono resorts haven't closed the first weekend in April (just to claim, "we were open until April" marketing spin), by April 15 that would almost certainly be closing weekend in a very good year, and likely not with 100% terrain (or even close to it).

As for April 22nd (the end of his ski trip)? LOL Good luck with all that.

EDIT: Here's the last 4 closing days @ Camelback

2019 - April 1 (estimated)
2018 - April 8
2017 - April 2
2016 - March 20
2015 - April 4

https://www.snowpak.com/pennsylvania/camelback-mountain-resort/opening-dates

2Planker

Wildcat will have more terrain open than anyone else in NH.
Sunday River will be open, but prob Barker only w/ no Mt services
Best bet would be The Loaf in Maine

twinplanx

Where in PA can you ski in the middle of April? The op wants to ski, not go to water parks.
Really guy? I made no guarantees of snow. Given the time frame, where he is flying into and the kids, I figured I'd mention the water park. This thread has divulged into the all too typical members arguing amongst themselves. The OP is already looking for other forums!

skiur

Really guy? I made no guarantees of snow. Given the time frame, where he is flying into and the kids, I figured I'd mention the water park. This thread has divulged into the all too typical members arguing amongst themselves. The OP is already looking for other forums!

Yes guy...really, he said he is flying in to go skiing and I'm the asshole cause your sending him to water parks.....can you look for other forums please.

bdfreetuna

Disagree with the both of those statements regarding Sugarloaf.

Loaf retains snow better than anywhere in the East. They pretty much lead the East April 1st on every year. Aside from really bad years, it's not uncommon for Sugarloaf to have 600+ acres open late April. I think the combination of the Double Runner area + Whiffletree + trails off Bucksaw pod is a far superior beginner terrain offering than exists at Jay. And if you want to include easy blues for beginners to test themselves on, there might not be a better trail in the East for that than Tote Road. Throw in the Timberline area up top for great beginner skiing.

I think between Jay and Loaf it's probably close depending on the season and snowpack. Loaf retains better but Jay gets more, type of thing how it plays out each year is hard to predict. But I'm glad to read this anyway as Portland ME area might be in my future and it will mean a real change of game plan but sounds like I'll still be OK early and late season.

If you are that confident in all those areas/trails being open mid April I will change my vote from leaning-Jay to leaning-Sugarloaf.