• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ikon Pass

raisingarizona

smuggs is gonna be vail's one day. its gotta be. they will interconnect and revamp smuggs' lifts and make the premier eastern mega resort separated by the best lift accessed backcountry in vermont.

i am hopeful that ikon adds jay. even in receivership. seems to be a nice way for them to guarantee some revenue and new visitors, even if its just for one year. even better if alterra is the ultimate buyer. just no vail please.

pretty happy about solitude. right now my western agenda is 6-7 days winter park in december, 3 days copper in january, 9-10 days in uth in february, and silverton/monarch 4 days in late march/early april

I want to see that. It’s gonna be the biggest skiing in the east then, nothing can top that combination of terrain, classic New England ski town, snowfall and side country access.

cdskier

I want to see that. It’s gonna be the biggest skiing in the east then, nothing can top that combination of terrain, classic New England ski town, snowfall and side country access.

Good luck ever getting approval to physically interconnect the resorts. I just don't see that part happening.

robocop

Great news for east coast skiers!! Access to Loon, Sunday River, and Sugarloaf just tripled! Ikon announced that you can now ski each resort 5(base pass)/7(full pass) days, rather than a combined total as it was before. Ikon also added Snowqualamie, Cypress, and the Boyne resorts in Michigan.

Edd

Great news for east coast skiers!! Access to Loon, Sunday River, and Sugarloaf just tripled! Ikon announced that you can now ski each resort 5(base pass)/7(full pass) days, rather than a combined total as it was before.

That was the biggest reason I passed on it. Kudos to them for addressing a clear flaw in the eastern offerings but I’ve missed out on the early price. Still, it’s a good deal if you’re certain to head west.

Last edited:

abc

Good luck ever getting approval to physically interconnect the resorts. I just don't see that part happening.
But Stowe and Smug is already "physically" connected. It's only logistic that prevents people from skiing back and forth (reciprocal lift ticket agreement).

My guess is Smugg wouldn't sell. Or it would have already happened.

So yes, I agree it will happen one day.

That was the biggest reason I passed on it. Kudos to them for addressing a clear flaw in the eastern offerings but I’ve missed out on the early price. Still, it’s a good deal if you’re certain to head west.
Those added days could tip the balance for some who only ski the east.

KustyTheKlown

Great news for east coast skiers!! Access to Loon, Sunday River, and Sugarloaf just tripled! Ikon announced that you can now ski each resort 5(base pass)/7(full pass) days, rather than a combined total as it was before. Ikon also added Snowqualamie, Cypress, and the Boyne resorts in Michigan.

makes total sense and is awesome. but where do you see thsi already announced?

speden

That's excellent news that they tripled the days at Loon, SR, and Sugarloaf. They must have realized their east coast offering was a little thin after Epic added unlimited days at Okemo and Sunapee. Looks like Boyne is going to be a strong partner for Alterra. But I hope this doesn't mean Alterra is done adding northeast resorts for this season.

cdskier

The only issue is the environmental impact, I assume? I don't know if there are other issues. I've never followed what it typically takes to get this kind of thing approved.

I suppose you could say environment impact is the "only issue", however it is a monumental issue considering it would involve crossing or running along the Long Trail between the two resorts on state forest land.

But Stowe and Smug is already "physically" connected. It's only logistic that prevents people from skiing back and forth (reciprocal lift ticket agreement).

My guess is Smugg wouldn't sell. Or it would have already happened.

So yes, I agree it will happen one day.

When people say Vail buying Smuggs would allow Stowe/Smuggs to become a "mega resort", a physical connection via hiking is not what they are typically referring to. If people want to consider hiking access between the two as being "physically connected", then sure, that part could easily happen one day when Smuggs decides to sell. What people like myself and DHS mean when we say it will never happen is that we mean an actual lift between the two would never happen. Without a lift between the two, they will never be considered a "mega resort" by most people as it is logistically very challenging to get from one to the other. Hiking access is something only a small percentage of people would be interested in. Sure many people on here wouldn't mind that, but to most skiers unless there's an actual lift, they wouldn't consider a Stowe/Smuggs combo as one resort even if they had the same ownership.

BenedictGomez

Shouldn't be too hard IMO. The same party that the environmentalists unilaterally support (this is key) is the same party that will receive the $$$ necessary to make it happen. Vermont is politically one of the top-five most corrupt states in America. You're either overthinking this or putting too much faith in the "virtue" of politicians.

it is logistically very challenging to get from one to the other.

It is logistically very simple to get from one to the other. I've done it both on skis & via foot probably a combined few hundred times. How many times have you done it?

speden

If they would just add 5 night skiing days at the Wachusett ice capades I'd be all set. Come on Alterra, throw Boston skiers a bone.

cdskier

Shouldn't be too hard IMO. The same party that the environmentalists unilaterally support (this is key) is the same party that will receive the $$$ necessary to make it happen. Vermont is politically one of the top-five most corrupt states in America. You're either overthinking this or putting too much faith in the "virtue" of politicians.

You're vastly under-estimating the environmental challenges and restrictions. This isn't about politics. In particular, that specific area between Spruce Peak and Smuggs is already designated as a "Highly Sensitive Area" in the Mt Mansfield State Forest Long Range Management plan. I have a better chance of winning the lottery than of any significant development happening along that route.

It is logistically very simple to get from one to the other. I've done it both on skis & via foot probably a combined few hundred times. How many times have you done it?

I was referring to non-hiking methods which should have been quite clear from my entire comment. My very next sentence in fact said hiking is a method that would not appeal to most people in order for it to be considered a single "mega" resort.

BenedictGomez

I was referring to non-hiking methods which should have been quite clear from my entire comment. My very next sentence in fact said hiking is a method that would not appeal to most people in order for it to be considered a single "mega" resort.

Well I still dont know what you mean, because skiing it is even easier than hiking it.

From Stowe to Smuggs it's downhill and if you keep your speed you can make it basically gliding the entire way. From Smuggs to Stowe it requires some light xc skiing over a small section of the pond & then a few hundred feet of uphill skating, but it's not a big deal at all for anyone Intermediate or higher. I dont see why you think this is so "very challenging" of an ordeal. Have you ever done it?