• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ikon Pass

Zermatt

Ikon now includes Solitude and Brighton with three more days of "announcements" to come.

For the Ikon Base Pass Solitude is unlimited days with blackout dates and Brighton is 5 days with blackouts.

Hoping they announce more eastern resorts...Pico would really make sense.

speden

The pass wars seem to be heating up. Ikon is adding more resorts and I've been seeing a lot of advertisements on TV for the EPIC pass.

There's a graphic on the Ikon Pass instagram account that suggests they will be adding more resorts to the Ikon pass this week. I'm hoping for some more northeast hills too. Come on Wachusett!

On liftblog.com they speculate the other additions will be from the mountains on the Mountain Collective or the ex-MAX Pass resorts, so Wawa is a possible addition, but probably a long shot.

BenedictGomez

That Ikon pass is really locking up the Wasatch, ex-Vail.

Unlimited Solitude + 5 days each at Brighton, Alta/Snowbird, and even Deer Valley, for $699 sounds pretty tough to beat. I'm beginning to wonder if Vail has somewhat dropped-the-ball on their local strategies in lieu of such focus on bringing people from afar to Vail resorts.

Solitude / Deer Valley - Altera
Park City / Canyons - Vail
Brighton - Boyne
Alta - private
Snowbird - private (1 majority owner)

Zermatt

Now they added Taos: https://www.alterramtnco.com/news/2018/08/28/taos-ski-valley-announcement

Looks like a data leak is showing that they may add the remaining four Boyne resorts tomorrow.

That would leave one more mystery place to be announced on Thursday. Judging from the size of the box in the reveal image, it would be a fairly big resort.

Snowbasin is big and a MC resort.

Still at a loss why Pico isn't interchangeable with Killington. Pico will be absolutely empty this year with the loss of MAX visitors.

TheArchitect

I'm glad to see Alterra continuing to add and enhance the Ikon pass but I admit I'm still disappointed in their eastern offerings. Of the Ikon east resorts I'm only a fan of Sugarbush. I've never been to Sugarloaf but it's too far to be anything but a weekend trip for me. Loon's too crowded and Sunday River is too groomed.

I'm booked for Jackson Hole in February so I'm going to pick up the base pass and use it for Sugarbush here in the east. Maybe I'll go to Killington for the first time in 30 years.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I am not surprised that Solitude is unlimited. It is Alterra's other resort in Utah (the other one being Deer Valley). They had no Alterra resort in Utah that was an unlimited option on the Ikon Pass and having Solitude now gives them that market. Deer Valley will never be an unlimited option on the Ikon pass. Like Aspen, it is the premium brand that deserves a premium price.

Jully

I'm glad to see Alterra continuing to add and enhance the Ikon pass but I admit I'm still disappointed in their eastern offerings. Of the Ikon east resorts I'm only a fan of Sugarbush. I've never been to Sugarloaf but it's too far to be anything but a weekend trip for me. Loon's too crowded and Sunday River is too groomed.

I'm booked for Jackson Hole in February so I'm going to pick up the base pass and use it for Sugarbush here in the east. Maybe I'll go to Killington for the first time in 30 years.

I was really hoping the 4 resorts added as a group were going to be the NY mountains (I mostly just want Whiteface/Gore). I'd absolutely love for the last big resort to be added be an eastern resort, but I just don't see Alterra making such a big deal out of an eastern addition. Only big places that I could possibly imagine being added back east are Jay, Smuggs, or Cannon. All three of those are extremely unlikely too.

TheArchitect

I was really hoping the 4 resorts added as a group were going to be the NY mountains (I mostly just want Whiteface/Gore). I'd absolutely love for the last big resort to be added be an eastern resort, but I just don't see Alterra making such a big deal out of an eastern addition. Only big places that I could possibly imagine being added back east are Jay, Smuggs, or Cannon. All three of those are extremely unlikely too.

Well, I'm sure you've seen me over on Pugski hoping and praying they add Jay, even if it isn't until next year. Jay seems to check most of the Alterra boxes. It's a destination resort, it's "Ikonic", it will get the Montreal crowd and the weekend Boston crowd.

It won't happen but can you imagine if Alterra snuck in there and added/bought Smuggs?! You KNOW Vail would love to have Smuggs under their control and if Alterra took it out from under them.... :smile:

Jully

Well, I'm sure you've seen me over on Pugski hoping and praying they add Jay, even if it isn't until next year. Jay seems to check most of the Alterra boxes. It's a destination resort, it's "Ikonic", it will get the Montreal crowd and the weekend Boston crowd.

It won't happen but can you imagine if Alterra snuck in there and added/bought Smuggs?! You KNOW Vail would love to have Smuggs under their control and if Alterra took it out from under them.... :smile:

Jay or Smuggs would be an awesome buy for my own selfish east coast reasons and as far as eastern resorts go, I agree it checks all the Alterra boxes - unique, decently accessible/valuable. I totally agree. It'd be extra great given Vail's almost certain interest in Smuggs most definitely.

abc

I would second the guess the next announcement could be Snowbasin, as already pointed out. And possibly Sun Valley.

Only because they're both already on MCP.

Would also work out nicely for me from a selfish point of view. I'll be flying into SLC and doing a circuit of Big Sky and Jackson Hole. Having Snowbasin would provide a convenient stopover point.

bushpilot

I'm hoping for Mt. Bachelor! It was on the Max pass this year and they release their season pass prices tomorrow. This could be a nice surprise.

KustyTheKlown

smuggs is gonna be vail's one day. its gotta be. they will interconnect and revamp smuggs' lifts and make the premier eastern mega resort separated by the best lift accessed backcountry in vermont.

i am hopeful that ikon adds jay. even in receivership. seems to be a nice way for them to guarantee some revenue and new visitors, even if its just for one year. even better if alterra is the ultimate buyer. just no vail please.

pretty happy about solitude. right now my western agenda is 6-7 days winter park in december, 3 days copper in january, 9-10 days in uth in february, and silverton/monarch 4 days in late march/early april

TheArchitect

Maybe I am wrong, but I think that the OP was saying that Alterra would BUY Jay Peak.

Yeah, I was thinking buy if possible. From my uninformed POV it seems to make a lot of sense for Alterra instead of Vail. I'd be surprised if Jay gets sold to anyone other than those two; the way they're buying up mountains.

As for Smuggs, Kusty is right that Vail is the likely buyer but it would be funny if Alterra swooped in and stole it from them.

Scruffy

The Ikon is a bargain. I jumped on the full pass early on. Just with 7 days at Killington, 7 days at Sugarbush, and 7 days between Sunday River and Sugar Loaf it pays for itself. Add unlimited at Stratton ( not that I'm into flatton, but hey, no pass fees are good, maybe I'll give them another try ). Then add the three out west trips I planned at Ikon mountains ( like JHole, Steamboat, and Lake Louise), I'm in loving it. Throw in my peak pass and I'm covered to ski every day, east and west, if I wanted to.

Not to mention Ikon just added Taos :daffy: I think I need more days and energy to reap all the benefits.