• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

what music do you like to ski to?

KustyTheKlown

this varies wildly by mood, location, snow conditions, etc, but generally:

- mellow acoustic music like iron and wine and bon iver, when i'm feeling reflective
- the disco biscuits, when i want to fucking party
- the grateful dead, always appropriate tho probably more in rotation on my way to the mountain than while skiing
- hip hop, if i'm feeling steezy, drake, kendrick, frank ocean
- house and techno when i bash bumps.

we've hit the time of summer where all i think about is skiing. i've already booked trips. i'm checking opensnow and the gfs daily just for glimmers of early snow. i'm here regularly again. i can't wait.

cdskier

None. I like simply hearing my surroundings (which ideally would be relatively peace and quiet).

deadheadskier

Staff member
Probably goes without explaining, but music and skiing are my two greatest passions. When I joined this forum about 15 years ago and had to come up with a handle, I chose deadheadskier as a combination of the two past times in life I'm most passionate about; The Grateful Dead and Skiing. Love plenty of other music too, but the Good ole Grateful Dead have been my favorite band since I was 9 years old and that's still the case 32 years later.

Despite my passion for music, I actually never listen to it on the hill. Skied with a Walkman a bit in middle and high school, but I just wasn't that into it. When I ski I just prefer to zone everything out and focus on the quiet of being in the mountains. This is especially true skiing in the trees on a powder day when your skis barely make a sound hitting the snow.

I definitely like to pump myself up with tunes on the way to the hill, but once on the hill I tune out from everything. Just me, the terrain in front of me and the sounds of me skiing it is all I want.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

KustyTheKlown

i dont listen to music when skiing with people. only when i'm alone. so like 50% of the time.

the grateful dead and skiing are basically the same thing. they fit so well together. the limitless potential for personal freedom on the american frontier.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
I've done both ..with and without . I can see the attraction for both but you'll never hear "Lookout" yell when some newb comes flying out of control toward you if you've got tunes on .

Smellytele

Well my phone has dead, rage, pearl Jam, Sabbath, Van Halen, Bob Marley, Johnny Cash, Smashing Pumpkins, stone temple pilots, Rusted Root, Beastie Boys, Alice in Chains, The Cult, The Cure, Dave Brubeck and a bunch of other stuff. Hit shuffle and go. Sometimes the songs hit right (rage in the bumps) sometimes they don't (rage on the chair).

Dickc

I always have my phone with me, but do not use my music collection when skiing. I've never skied to music and it just does not interest me to even want to. I don't woods ski much, especially lately, but love 4 or more inches of powder as its when the skis are just QUIET. I love the sounds of silence when skiing and I am not talking Simon and Garfunkel. Other times I like to focus on the sounds of the skis as you can hear how well or not you are carving as they can go quite silent with a properly formed railroad track on some trail. I've skied for some 58 years, so I did a LOT of skiing when trying to bring tunes with you was impossible, so being a bit old school, I just do not want to change now.

BenedictGomez

Woods choked so full of snow that all sounds are completely insulated except the occasional thwack of a low lying branch hitting your helmet or poles. I love all ski days, but those are the days I yearn for most.

Similar thing & conditions, but mine is when it's also snowing & you can actually hear the sound of snow hitting the ground. Amazing.

NYDB

Soulive, Phish, Jay Z, Beasties, Yonder Mountain String Band, KRS 1, Black Sabbath, Jimmy Cliff, Dead, Hendrix, Cypress Hill, Galactic, Pink Floyd, RRE, Dre, Notorious B.I.G, Tony Rice Unit, Lettuce, Tony Furtado.

Thats just a sample of one of my riding playlists. I usually take my favorite songs from each artist and just throw it on shuffle. I have a more jam band only play list too and a more funk/hip hop one. I have a IPOD nano, holds enough for a couple of days without repeats. Battery last about a full day in an inside pocket. I have the bluetooth chips in my helmet. It makes it easy to skip a song when the mood isn't right.

Like the OP, I usually only play it loud when alone. When riding with the fam I usually just keep it low enough that I can hear backround music. I don't have an issue hearing other skiiers or converstation at that noise level.

jimmywilson69

I like having a sound track to my turns. It varies across many genres depending on my mood. A lot of my go to's are Phish, the Dead, Clutch, Ween.

bdfreetuna

Drive up and back gives me time to listen to multiple albums in the car.

Listening to music while skiing doesn't strike me as conducive to remaining aware of your ever-changing surroundings. Whatever the lifties feel like playing is fine with me.

Funky_Catskills

Sometimes I listen... it depends on my mood.
I like hiphop, disco and funk when I ride..

I'm also dyslexic - so - say on your right and I may turn in that direction.
And I ride with someone who's deaf so she can't hear you warnings...
Verbal cues are not to be trusted generally...

SkiingInABlueDream

As others have said, I like to be aware of my surroundings and hear the sounds, or blissful absence thereof. That and a music device would be just one more thing to fiddle with before getting out of the lodge. (though I guess helmets with speakers largely mitigate that.)

That all said, I *always* have some soundtrack playing in my head when I ski. 99% of the time it's something by the artist, one of whose songs inspired my username. [emoji41]

shwilly

While riding I don't listen to anything. Mostly I just don't want one more thing to fiddle with.

Back at the pad, I subject my family and friends to hacky acoustic renditions of Ween, Phish, Dead, Bowie, Growlers, Ty Segall, Sturgill Simpson, and assorted country and rock tunes.