what music do you like to ski to? - Page 9

AlpineZone

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast

what music do you like to ski to?

I never understood the preppy New England kid predilection for jam bands.

Last edited by The Sneak; Sep 8, 2018 at 11:33 AM.

..anyways having said that its nice to see Ty Segall and the Growlers mentioned in this thread

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by The Sneak View Post
    Eat enough mushrooms or acid and you start to think 30 minutes is the ideal length for songs.

never understood the preppy New England kid predilection for jam bands.
    Very much agreed. Seemed odd to me when I moved to Vermont. Still seems odd to me.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

So what kind of music should they be listening to?

Where are these so-called VT prepsters hiding? Most youth I see are borderline hippies (and no, not hipsters).
    Sugarbush skier since 1985.........Think Snow!

Quote Originally Posted by tumbler View Post
    So what kind of music should they be listening to?

Its not just Vermont hippies, trust me. I went to UMaine Farmington, and a catholic high school in Mass prior to that, and it seemed like everyone loved jam bands.

To me, jam bands are the opposite of what made rock and roll - think Chuck Berry to MC5 to Iggy to Ramones etc - exciting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know I grew up in that era (the Punk Era)and there was a lot of cool things happening in the underground scene. New York was the place but Boston did have some good stuff. I saw Morphine in Cambridge long before they were popular and the neighborhoods and the Fools at the channel. That was a fun time. But as I got older I started taking keyboard lessons and learning music. Jazz and Blues were all I liked after the 90's were over. Now I listen to everything except rap. I can honestly say that the stereotype that sneak feels he should cast is pretty far from the norm. Also some of the jam music is pretty dam good. Not every day but sometimes you just need to embrace the conversational and improvisational vibe.

It’s not just Vermont hippies, trust me. I went to UMaine Farmington, and a catholic high school in Mass prior to that, and it seemed like everyone loved jam bands.

To me, jam bands are the opposite of what made rock and roll - think Chuck Berry to MC5 to Iggy to Ramones etc - exciting.
    Phish was pretty exciting for a few years in the early-mid 90s. If you listen to some shows from 1992 or 1994 or even some 1997 (best years imo) you'd probably figure out why they became so popular even if it's not your thing. Most of the jam bands that are well known are so for a reason, even if they had a brief peak of originality and energy.

Now I almost never listen to it and certainly have no taste for anything recent. But at the time it was a hot scene and they were really on fire.

Thread Information