• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

what music do you like to ski to?

bdfreetuna

So if you're intentionally denying yourself of an important primary sense (hearing) while skiing or riding, would that make you automatically at fault in skier to skier collisions?

Of course downhill skier has right of way but there are instances when it's not a clear case of right of way, I would think the person with headphones on would have to accept negligence in that scenario.

In a similar vein I'd say if the fault of collision is otherwise a toss-up, the person who's under the influence of drugs/alcohol would be considered automatically at-fault.

If a lawsuit developed from the incident/injury I would certainly want to add the fact the other rider was wearing headphones or a boombox to the body of evidence.

ironhippy

So if you're intentionally denying yourself of an important primary sense (hearing) while skiing or riding, would that make you automatically at fault in skier to skier collisions?

Of course downhill skier has right of way but there are instances when it's not a clear case of right of way, I would think the person with headphones on would have to accept negligence in that scenario.

In a similar vein I'd say if the fault of collision is otherwise a toss-up, the person who's under the influence of drugs/alcohol would be considered automatically at-fault.

If a lawsuit developed from the incident/injury I would certainly want to add the fact the other rider was wearing headphones or a boombox to the body of evidence.

Do you guys rely on hearing that much while skiing?

I quite often listen to music (normally 1 ear only, low volume) but even when I'm not, I normally can't hear much besides the wind whipping through my helmet (or the lift, or the snowmobiles, or the snow guns), certainly not other skiers.

I can't think of one incident wear hearing stopped a collision.
Yielding to downhill traffic and situational awareness is what's stopped collisions for me.

Fortunately I don't ski crowded slopes, so maybe it's less of an issue for me.
I would rather not ski than ski crowded slopes.

Funky_Catskills

Do you guys rely on hearing that much while skiing?

I quite often listen to music (normally 1 ear only, low volume) but even when I'm not, I normally can't hear much besides the wind whipping through my helmet (or the lift, or the snowmobiles, or the snow guns), certainly not other skiers.

I can't think of one incident wear hearing stopped a collision.
Yielding to downhill traffic and situational awareness is what's stopped collisions for me.

Fortunately I don't ski crowded slopes, so maybe it's less of an issue for me.
I would rather not ski than ski crowded slopes.

I do not rely on hearing.. Voice audio cues can be confusing especially in the back country. I personally don't listen to music in the backcountry much. But i do know that sounds can bounce around in trees and in rocky areas. Visual cues work better. I do wear a whistle in the back country if I get stuck.. But I never ride alone and keep tight in most terrain.

SnowRock

I'll ride solo with one ear bud in and volume fairly low... can always hear around me. I also do love silence after a fresh snow so often don't bother with music.

Dead is on a bunch, if its spring I'll go Brent era or mix in some reggae. I have a few playlists that I also go to a bunch on the snow... one mostly based on the old TB2 soundtrack (Helmet, Primus, Dead Kennedys) with some classic hip hop/backpack rap thrown in (Tribe, Nas, Doom, Black Star).

One is all Outlaw, Alt-Country and Americana.. I keep that pretty up to date so add to it often but artists like Waylon, Sturgill, Colter, Shovels & Rope, William Elliot Whitmore, Ghost of Paul Revere, Isbell, etc.

Then one more Jam Band/Classic Rock with a bit of Bluegrass.. MMJ, Greensky, Dusters, Railroad, Allmans, The Band

KustyTheKlown

i like we can run. brent songs are sweet. brent's growling back-up vocal is my favorite thing in general. it took me a long time, but brent dead is easily my favorite dead. i can cite more incredible shows from the 70s, but there is just something about the feel of brent era dead that i love so much.

i'm 33, never got to see the real thing. have seen every post jerry incarnation, tons of JRAD, etc. phish was my band as a youth, but i've since grown out of them. i prefer the biscuits over phish 1000%. phish doesn't jam so hard/often anymore, and i just cant stand their songs. the biscuits songs and vocals are trash but they are the best improvising rock/jam band to ever exist.

if you have somehow not heard 6/26/74 providence weather report suite>us blues, go check it out right away. its like 45 minutes of driven out there type II jamming. extremely unique dead jam.

SnowRock

Tend to agree re: Brent era dead.. a more recent development for me as well. Something about the depth those backing vocals add. Was just listening to some April Fools 88 on a quick run this morning. Did you get to the JRAD Band Shell show in Prospect Park? Always have a fun time catching them. Also got to see DSO down in Asbury who do a damm fine job and picked a great show for that night.

KustyTheKlown

Tend to agree re: Brent era dead.. a more recent development for me as well. Something about the depth those backing vocals add. Was just listening to some April Fools 88 on a quick run this morning. Did you get to the JRAD Band Shell show in Prospect Park? Always have a fun time catching them. Also got to see DSO down in Asbury who do a damm fine job and picked a great show for that night.

i was at the prospect park show. that fell a little flat for me for some reason. possibly because when i usually see them its at brooklyn bowl, its after midnight, and the whiskey has been flowing for hours. i have mp3s of every single JRAD show played at brooklyn bowl. thats >30 shows. ive been in the room for ~15 of them, and have seen them many times in other venues as well. best dead band playing today, easily.

DSO is ok, but in my opinion, the straight up imitation gets boring

JRAD aren't imitating, they are taking the grateful dead songbook and reinvigorating and reinventing. their approach to the music is so unique. the fully segued sets. breaking down songs and spreading them throughout the set and the show. inverting songs occasionally. throwing in covers that aren't even in the gd songbook. its just such a youthful and energetic approach to the dead while being so respectful of the tradition that they are keeping alive.

Funky_Catskills

i was at the prospect park show. that fell a little flat for me for some reason. possibly because when i usually see them its at brooklyn bowl, its after midnight, and the whiskey has been flowing for hours. i have mp3s of every single JRAD show played at brooklyn bowl. thats >30 shows. ive been in the room for ~15 of them, and have seen them many times in other venues as well. best dead band playing today, easily.

DSO is ok, but in my opinion, the straight up imitation gets boring

JRAD aren't imitating, they are taking the grateful dead songbook and reinvigorating and reinventing. their approach to the music is so unique. the fully segued sets. breaking down songs and spreading them throughout the set and the show. inverting songs occasionally. throwing in covers that aren't even in the gd songbook. its just such a youthful and energetic approach to the dead while being so respectful of the tradition that they are keeping alive.

JRAD - Real deal - taking the music to a new amazing place.
DSO - Makes for a fun night - nothing serious..
Dead and Company - cash grad with slow tempos... Or... Fratdog..

Prospect show wasn't that great for JRAD.. I was telling fucking hipsters to STFU all night..

You going to Brooklyn Comes Alive?

bdfreetuna

I must be in the minority of Grateful Dead fans in that I don't listen to it 24/7.

Anyway, conveniently the folks who wear headphones don't rely on hearing to ski; the folks who don't find having all their senses in place to maximize both experience and safety.

What about what I said about using it in a court of law?

KustyTheKlown

JRAD - Real deal - taking the music to a new amazing place.
DSO - Makes for a fun night - nothing serious..
Dead and Company - cash grad with slow tempos... Or... Fratdog..

Prospect show wasn't that great for JRAD.. I was telling fucking hipsters to STFU all night..

You going to Brooklyn Comes Alive?

I have some personal beef with the main organizer of Bk comes alive, so generally it's a pass for me. I went the year the biscuits collaborated with break science

I have to sit at the same table as that little fuckstick at a wedding this weekend

twinplanx

MAYBE YOU should just stay the F out of my way and not ski aggressively...
I can see what's around me... I know whats up.. In the last 40 years I've only hit ONE person and they deserved it for coming into my line... I got this covered..
Are you sure bro? You sound a little triggered...

Sent from my LG-K373 using Tapatalk

Smellytele

I must be in the minority of Grateful Dead fans in that I don't listen to it 24/7.

Anyway, conveniently the folks who wear headphones don't rely on hearing to ski; the folks who don't find having all their senses in place to maximize both experience and safety.

What about what I said about using it in a court of law?

I heard people say that about helmets when helmets came out.

I never play it loud enough that i can not hear what is around me. Never have I not heard people around me while listening to music. I have had times on frozen surfaces where I could not hear other skiers because it was so scrapy.

Awesome!!! that was like my 50th,... haha... Remember it was hot AF that day and Brent summoned the wind..
Best version of that song ever.. Jerry was stoked!!!

yes, funk man! feel that breeeeeeze!!!

what year did you start going? my first was fall 1988 at MSG, 15 year old high school junior...from princeton you could catch the dinky to the junction, then straight to Penn Station...so perfect for a touch-head with no license! scored some super green bud from a local gentlemen then bought balloons and smoked with the guitarist from another well known jam band...the scene outside the garden when the dead played in manhattan was surreal:

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Are you sure bro? You sound a little triggered...

Sent from my LG-K373 using Tapatalk

Doesn't take much :grin:

I was almost clipped by a train at a seldom used crossing . I lived nearby for 18 yrs and never saw a train . One day I had the music turned up in the car and heard a strange noise ,thought the radio had a problem and looked at my tuner and caught motion at the last minute....too late to stop so I floored it ...train missed my bumper by inches. It was in near a small tunnel so not much visual ref to go by . 100% my fault if an accident would have occurred.