• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

what music do you like to ski to?

KustyTheKlown

I'm glad there are ween fans here

I was supposed to see deaner's side band on a boat cruise around NYC yesterday, but the lady and I just signed the lease on a new apt, had to lay out much upfront cash, and now need to buy a couch, so, priorities

we are moving to brooklyn heights on sept 22

twinplanx

Glad the consensus seems to be, "no tunes". I get it, while skiing solo if crowds are real thin. But otherwise, no. The sounds of the natural surroundings are far superior. There are also some cues that could help you make split-second decisions. Like an, "on your left".

I was riding the chairlift with a friend of mine years ago, trying to discuss our next run. He just kept looking ahead with a dumb look on his face. I just like WTF dude? It wasn't even something important, but it really irked me.

Sent from my LG-K373 using Tapatalk

bigbog

The quiet of the outdoors...maybe echoes by woodpeckers/sapsuckers soin' their thing or the creaking of thin pines in the wind, but usually nothing of the recorded variety. Really enjoy the woodlands in winter... particularly since a small, but enjoyable part of my small part-timer work-week I can now escape the office for the remote outdoors.

steve

Funky_Catskills

There are also some cues that could help you make split-second decisions. Like an, "on your left".

Except I suffer from bad dyslexia... So - I'll turn into you.
And I ride with people that are deaf... So... How's that going to work?

Audio cues are NOT to be trusted..

Funky_Catskills

The quiet of the outdoors...maybe echoes by woodpeckers/sapsuckers soin' their thing or the creaking of thin pines in the wind, but usually nothing of the recorded variety. Really enjoy the woodlands in winter... particularly since a small, but enjoyable part of my small part-timer work-week I can now escape the office for the remote outdoors.

steve

Scrapping of boards... Clanking of lifts... Music blasting at base lodge... Snow machinery... Snow making guns...
Yeah... really quiet... hahaha...

twinplanx

Yeah, I'm guilty of giving bed information myself. Saying, "on your left" when I'm actually on YOUR right lol. But hey it's the thought that counts. I assumed all deaf/blind skiers wore that bib identifying them as such. Maybe that's not the case? Either way I think skiing with headphones is lame.

IceEidolon

Scrapping of boards... Clanking of lifts... Music blasting at base lodge... Snow machinery... Snow making guns...
SNOWGUNS ARE A WONDERFUL ADDITION TO THE AMBIANCE OF THE MOUNTAIN. THEY REALLY ADD TO MY PEACEFUL QUIET ENJOYMENT AND THAT FRESH FLUFF IS SO GOOD TO SKI!

No seriously, I usually ski without music more because I wear headphones for work and don't feel like wearing them for fun too, plus I forget to bring them. When I do remember, I enjoy stock cinematic music like Two Steps From Hell. When I'm lapping blues off a high speed lift at my home mountain I'll put on a podcast - I spend way more time on the lift and it's a great timefiller there. On a day with good natural snow, I almost never have my earbuds in until it's all tracked out.

Sent from my Life Max using Tapatalk

bigbog

HA:lol:, nooooo FC ...I hear ya' about the resorts, but can be socially fun. Part of my part-timer involves snowmobiling(partially)/skinning/bootposting up, planting/replacing a few circuit boards here and there, and then catching a few descents on a few remote mountains...with others is the best.

Last edited:

Funky_Catskills

ut hey it's the thought that counts. I assumed all deaf/blind skiers wore that bib identifying them as such.

Why should they?
Just don't run into people and it's all good.. I don't wear a vest because I'm dyslexic.. that's ridiculous...

cdskier

Audio cues are NOT to be trusted..

I'd still rather hear the sounds around me and make a decision on what to do with them than not hear them at all.

I actually find the sound of snow guns running very soothing.

twinplanx

Why should they?
Just don't run into people and it's all good.. I don't wear a vest because I'm dyslexic.. that's ridiculous...
Maybe you SHOULD wear a vest, so other skiers/snowboarders can communicate with you appropriately.

tumbler

I think if I skied out west I would listen to music sometimes, but in the east I need to hear what noise my skis are making so I can alter my style based on conditions

Funky_Catskills

Maybe you SHOULD wear a vest, so other skiers/snowboarders can communicate with you appropriately.

MAYBE YOU should just stay the F out of my way and not ski aggressively...
I can see what's around me... I know whats up.. In the last 40 years I've only hit ONE person and they deserved it for coming into my line... I got this covered..