Skiing on the cheap - 2018-19 - Page 7

AlpineZone

Page 7 of 22 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Last edited by Bosco DaSkia; Nov 3, 2018 at 7:07 AM.

Speaking of ski club discounts ... Over the years I’ve searched for a ski club anywhere in Western Massachusetts but can’t seem to find any. They all seem to be in Boston/Worcester. The Springfield (MA) Ski Club ran Blandford but AFAIK, they never organized trips to, or had discounts for, other ski areas. And with the transfer of Blandford to Butternut, I’m not sure they even exist anymore. Would be nice to hop on a bus for the occasional trip instead of having to drive. But if I have to go to Hartford or Boston it sort of defeats the purpose. Are any of you members of a non-local club, just to get discounts? Are you required to periodically show up at the clubhouse?

Used to be a member of Ace Ski Club for discount tickets. It was like $25 to join. No ski house commitment nor requirements to attend meetings.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Last edited by Bosco DaSkia; Nov 3, 2018 at 7:14 AM.

I belong to a Long Island based ski club, and our club has a house at the base of Pico. With my membership I have access to discounted lift tickets from the Metropolitan Ski Council plus a one night stay at the house is $26 for adults and $13 for kids. Because of this I am able to ski 10 weekends each winter very cost effectively. I have been a member for over 20 years and have made many friends through the club. Ski clubs are not for everyone but it is worth looking into. It is like having a time share with out all the headaches. We use the house in the summer also.

A few deals have caught my eye so far this year. A couple are location based for me about 45 minutes from my location in Albany, NY to Jiminy & the Warren Miller showing in Albany. The Schenectady Wintersports Club is open to members from other places.

Jiminy Peak Value Card $62 you get two free lift tickets more details (Purchases made between October 1 and November 11, 2018 will receive two free lift tickets;one valid any operating day during the 2018-2019 season (including holidays and holiday periods) and the other valid any operating day beginning March 1, 2019, through the end of the 18/19 winter season. Free tickets must be redeemed at the ticket window and are not available as an online re-load. https://www.jiminypeak.com/Skiing-Riding/Tickets-Passes/Value-Cards

Warren Miller movie season is right around the corner. Even with the date limitation/requirements of tickets some venues seem to have enough deals that seeing the movie should allow you to get to one free mountain. I usually go to Albany's show. 11/9 or 11/10 tickets are available for purchase for this show early with less fees through the Schenectady Wintersports Club https://www.swcweb.org/ Also noted that some of the CT shows have a nice grouping of mountains available as well. The Schenectady Wintersports Club membership provides club days for New York Capital District Ski Council & Connecticut Ski Council. And they have a house in Waterbury Center that is bunk style rooms with on-line reservations and very reasonable rates.

The Freedom Pass is available as an add-on to season pass buyers of those mountains. I don't see any deal compared to what Mount Bohemia offered in the past. But depending on where your ski and if you prefer to avoid crowds this could actually be a deal. For instance a season pass for an adult at Whaleback is $299. The pass allows you to ski at other Freedom Pass participants 3x each. If 3 venues are close and desirable and youy ski 9 times then that is about $33 a ticket. http://freedompass.ski/

The CT show in Hartford mentioned above has Mount Southington & Ski Sundown this year
    The Mountains are calling ~ I must go!

Quote Originally Posted by fahz View Post
    AJiminy Peak Value Card $62 you get two free lift tickets more details (Purchases made between October 1 and November 11, 2018 will receive two free lift tickets;one valid any operating day during the 2018-2019 season (including holidays and holiday periods) and the other valid any operating day beginning March 1, 2019, through the end of the 18/19 winter season. Free tickets must be redeemed at the ticket window and are not available as an online re-load. https://www.jiminypeak.com/Skiing-Riding/Tickets-Passes/Value-Cards
    Nice look. Just picked up 3 of those value cards between myself, my wife and my father. Can't really beat that price and Jiminy is a good place to go on short notice.

When does the Fox44 card typically go on sale?

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Quote Originally Posted by skicub View Post
    When does the Fox44 card typically go on sale?
    After Thanksgiving. It's gotten kind of crappy the last few years though and isnt anywhere near the value it used to be. I haven't bought it since 2015 I think. Used to be my #1 favorite S.O.T.C. deal, but they lost Jay Peak & Gore and didnt alter the price down much to account for that hit.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

I feel like it is a decent deal, considering I can get a ticket to MRG, Burke, Cannon, Smugglers, and midweek Breton Woods for $75 bucks totalIMG_6594.jpg. Even if each of those tickets were $20, itd still be $100. I could even afford an overnight to Whiteface, since it would offset the cost of gas/hotel.

Sure, tix to Suicide and the snowbowl are not usually worth the drive from Boston, but I could see myself stopping off at one of these places, or checking out Bolton just for the hell of it.

Especially now that the Maxpass is gone and there are limited options for non-Ikon or Epic deals, its not a bad add on. I will be saving my 2-Ski Vermont 4 packs for Stowe, Killi, Jay, and the pricey places.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Thread Information