• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing on the cheap - 2018-19

Rushski

This is actually a post of what is NO longer a deal...

Went on to Sunapee site. Guess being a Vail resort now, it seems they aren't doing the day(s) before deals anymore. Last year if you purchased on a Monday (for a Friday) it was 50% off (about $42). Now they were offering $83 instead of $95... No Thanks.

Does anyone know if they still honor the Golf and Ski Warehouse card discount (40% off weekdays)?

mgalluzz

It looks like Sunapee got rid of almost all their deals...there used to be a lot of daily deals (especially for locals). Examples: the Sunday afternoon ticket, ladies day, etc. All gone. The Vail effect...

nycskier

This is a little complicated but it has HUGE savings. Is Verizon your cellphone provider? If so download the MyVerizon app. Go to the Verizon Up rewards section and click "local offers". Type in the city and state of a ski resort you like search for offer there. There are a lot of deals for ski resorts. For example the app offers buy one get one free lift tickets at Plattekill, 50% off mid week ski tickets at Shawnee, BOGO free at Campgaw and a bunch of others across the country if you search for it.

Last edited:

Smellytele

This is a little complicated but it has HUGE savings. Is Verizon your cellphone provider? If so download the Verizon Up app. Go to the Verizon Up rewards section and click "local offers". Type in the city and state of a ski resort you like search for offer there. There are a lot of deals for ski resorts. For example the app offers buy one get one free lift tickets at Plattekill, 50% off mid week ski tickets at Shawnee, BOGO free at Campgaw and a bunch of others across the country if you search for it.

I can not find a Verizon Up app

urungus

I can not find a Verizon Up app

It’s not a separate app, it’s part of the “my Verizon” app. It appears that they do not give you any credit for previous payments, you only get credit for bills paid after you sign up for “Verizon up”

nycskier

It’s not a separate app, it’s part of the “my Verizon” app. It appears that they do not give you any credit for previous payments, you only get credit for bills paid after you sign up for “Verizon up”
The Verizon Up rewards are different. The skiing discount is free & listed under "local offers".

Smellytele

okay got it now. Only 1 ski area within 100 miles of me but it is the closest one to me - Pats Peak. The wording on it is really strange. I think it is a BOGO but it says...

"Enjoy the regular price of any lift ticket purchase when a second ticket of equal or greater value is purchased"

Sounds like you have to pay regular price still.

BenedictGomez

The wording on it is really strange. I think it is a BOGO but it says...

"Enjoy the regular price of any lift ticket purchase when a second ticket of equal or greater value is purchased"

It is a BOGO. That is very poorly and excessively overwritten.

I think I can beat it though:

At your discretion, partake in the entertaining and healthy sport of either skiing or snowboarding, with a lift ticket purchased for our mountain at the normal window rate for the given date in question, whilst simultaneously receiving a second lift ticket to be enjoyed by a person of your choosing, who may also partake in one of the aforementioned winter sporting activities with no additional payment rendered.

Smellytele

It is a BOGO. That is very poorly and excessively overwritten.

I think I can beat it though:

At your discretion, partake in the entertaining and healthy sport of either skiing or snowboarding, with a lift ticket purchased for our mountain at the normal window rate for the given date in question, whilst simultaneously receiving a second lift ticket to be enjoyed by a person of your choosing, who may also partake in one of the aforementioned winter sporting activities with no additional payment rendered.

Over written for sure but I can tell it is a BOGO

chuckstah

I have an opportunity to hit Summit County, CO early Feb, free lodging and cheap flight. Staying in Breck. Does anyone have extra vouchers or buddy passes, or know of any deals. I can buy a cheap Abasin 2 day ticket, and really only need another day or two. My friend has Epic pass, and prefers to stick with it. Maybe Copper for a day.

KustyTheKlown

I have an opportunity to hit Summit County, CO early Feb, free lodging and cheap flight. Staying in Breck. Does anyone have extra vouchers or buddy passes, or know of any deals. I can buy a cheap Abasin 2 day ticket, and really only need another day or two. My friend has Epic pass, and prefers to stick with it. Maybe Copper for a day.

copper kinda sucks unless you are into intermediate terrain. the expert terrain is super limited. skied there a bunch this year on ikon and i'm damn sick of it. they also nickle and dime the shit out of you (ex. $28 parking, or park in the free lot and take the bus for 20 minutes, your choice). if you are trying to stick to ikon, winter park is a much better bet. steamboat is cool if you have the time to get there (but, imo, also very very intermediate). i haven't been to eldora but its on the pass

i skied a-basin this past sunday. i've always loved it, but the new terrain is a wild gamechanger. if you like steeps and trees, just stick to basin. pally and the new beavers lift are incredible. easily the best in bounds terrain in summit/eagle counties. fucking love a-basin. i may buy an a-basin pass next season, skip copper altogether, and make my CO trips A-basin+winter park

if your friend is 100% on sticking with epic, i'd go to keystone, beaver creek, or breck before going back to copper. breck can be wild crowded but is fine midweek.

copper is stratton of colorado. i'm so over it.

Zand

copper kinda sucks unless you are into intermediate terrain. the expert terrain is super limited. skied there a bunch this year on ikon and i'm damn sick of it. they also nickle and dime the shit out of you (ex. $28 parking, or park in the free lot and take the bus for 20 minutes, your choice). if you are trying to stick to ikon, winter park is a much better bet. steamboat is cool if you have the time to get there (but, imo, also very very intermediate). i haven't been to eldora but its on the pass

i skied a-basin this past sunday. i've always loved it, but the new terrain is a wild gamechanger. if you like steeps and trees, just stick to basin. pally and the new beavers lift are incredible. easily the best in bounds terrain in summit/eagle counties. fucking love a-basin. i may buy an a-basin pass next season, skip copper altogether, and make my CO trips A-basin+winter park

if your friend is 100% on sticking with epic, i'd go to keystone, beaver creek, or breck before going back to copper. breck can be wild crowded but is fine midweek.

copper is stratton of colorado. i'm so over it.

Copper is okay if you stick to lookers left on the trail map and never go back to the base areas (other than Super Bee). Some good glades on that side. Bowls are fun on a powder day but get skunked fast. Union Meadows is the most overrated thing I've ever seen, don't waste your time. And Stratton is a good way to describe everything else there.

I also agree with the sentiment to go to Winter Park instead.

I do wish I'd gone to A-Basin for a day while I was there. Ended up just doing one more day at Copper on the pass as I'd already had every dime sucked out of me and I couldn't do whatever they get for a day ticket. Going to Utah this year made me realize how much of a pain in the ass and expensive Colorado is.

Last edited:

abc

Copper is great.

There're enough terrain for most people, which is good. Because there're even more good stuff most tourists don't know!

It's got many aspects, which is a mixed blessing. Because on a given day, only half of the good terrains are "in" due to wind or sun direction. But the beauty is, most visiting "experts" just blindly bash their knees on hard frozen crust not realizing there're better stuff in another aspect!

That said, if it's super steep open bowl you're after, Copper isn't it. For that matter, Colorado isn't it. You need to go to Utah or Montana, or Tahoe.

KustyTheKlown

right? union meadows. wide open with zero pitch for a few hundred feet, dropping into tree lines which almost immediately spit you on to the run-out? cool.

@abc - no. copper is not great. at all.

i did take the cat to tucker last weekend, and that was pretty cool, but i shouldn't have to wait an hour for a cat and then hike for 30+ minutes to access the only decent terrain.

uphill

I have a BOGO at cannon for tomorrow. Planning to arrive 10ish. Free.

abc

Copper has a lot of glades that doesn’t get skied much, if you know where to go.

But then, so does Stratton, albeit to a smaller scale. So if that’s why you bash Copper, that only means the snow in the glades of both mountains will last longer for me. :)