Skiing on the cheap - 2018-19 - Page 14

AlpineZone

Page 14 of 15 FirstFirst ... 412131415 LastLast
Results 131 to 140 of 148
  1. #131
    Fox 44 works great if you take a week long safari type trip out of it. I did something like this a couple years ago (had already used Gore before the trip). Midweek order probably not exactly correct and memory a bit fuzzy but you get the idea...

    Sat wake up early head to Whiteface (stay near Burlington, might have used some other ticket)
    Sun Bolton
    Mon Smuggs
    Tue MRG
    Wed Sugarbush (not on card, Warren Miller ticket used)
    Thur Jay (stay near Cannon)
    Fri Bretton
    Sat Cannon
    Sun Burke (drive home)

    Even with Jay gone you can still get 7 out of 9, swap in Middlebury for 8. Tough to get a weeks worth of tickets for less than that!!!

  2. #132
    Quote Originally Posted by jaytrem View Post
    Fox 44 works great if you take a week long safari type trip out of it. I did something like this a couple years ago (had already used Gore before the trip). Midweek order probably not exactly correct and memory a bit fuzzy but you get the idea...

    Sat wake up early head to Whiteface (stay near Burlington, might have used some other ticket)
    Sun Bolton
    Mon Smuggs
    Tue MRG
    Wed Sugarbush (not on card, Warren Miller ticket used)
    Thur Jay (stay near Cannon)
    Fri Bretton
    Sat Cannon
    Sun Burke (drive home)
    Did you do more skiing than driving? Good grief, while that is great "value", if they sold 1000 passes, I'm pretty sure you're the only one who did that! lol
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC



  3. #133
    That's really not that bad. It only involves moving accommodations twice.

    The Burlington stay has all ski areas within an hour and twenty minutes and in most cases less. Jay, Smuggs, Bolton, MRG, Bush

    And the Cannon stay has all 3 ski areas within 45 minutes. Cannon, BW, Burke.

    The only days with a lot of driving are the Whiteface/Burlington day, the Jay/ Cannon day and then the trip home from Burke depending on where home is for the OP.

    It's actually less driving than what I do many weekends each ski season. For me it's often Crotched on Saturday which is 1:20 each way and then Wildcat on Sunday which is 2:15 each way. So, I end doing over 7 hours of driving for two days worth of skiing.

    Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

  4. #134
    Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Did you do more skiing than driving? Good grief, while that is great "value", if they sold 1000 passes, I'm pretty sure you're the only one who did that! lol
    Funny, that was probably one of my easiest trips from a driving stand point. Always get there for opening bell. Try putting Bear Paw MT on a trip, makes everything else look easy.

  5. #135
    Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    That's really not that bad. It only involves moving accommodations twice.

    The Burlington stay has all ski areas within an hour and twenty minutes and in most cases less. Jay, Smuggs, Bolton, MRG, Bush

    And the Cannon stay has all 3 ski areas within 45 minutes. Cannon, BW, Burke.

    The only days with a lot of driving are the Whiteface/Burlington day, the Jay/ Cannon day and then the trip home from Burke depending on where home is for the OP.

    It's actually less driving than what I do many weekends each ski season. For me it's often Crotched on Saturday which is 1:20 each way and then Wildcat on Sunday which is 2:15 each way. So, I end doing over 7 hours of driving for two days worth of skiing.

    Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app
    Similar situation here. Early season I'll day trip to an area 3+ hours from Boston a lot on Saturdays (Wildcat or SR) and day trip somewhere a bit closer for a shorter day Sunday (Crotched, Loon, etc).

    I tend to only start to stay overnight places once the season really gets rolling.

  6. #136
    Driving is almost as fun as skiing in the winter. If I wasn't counting down the miles until inevitable short block replacement / rebuild I'd be driving 24/7.

    In bad weather it just adds to the adventure and reward factor.

  7. #137
    Mount Snow is selling advanced lift tickets starting from Sat Nov 10. Cost is 35.99 Sat / Sun and 31.99 on the holiday Monday Nov 12. Either they won’t be open and you get your money back, or you will be skiing what will probably be the best early season conditions in the east (based on last year).

  8. #138
    MEtoVTSkier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Aroostook County, ME
    Posts
    902
    I thought we were NOT going to have discussions in the thread? It was suppposed to be short and sweet, without all the extra BS to sift thru to get the information one is looking for?! It's only early October and you guys are already up to 14 friggen pages!


  9. #139
    Quote Originally Posted by MEtoVTSkier View Post
    I thought we were NOT going to have discussions in the thread? It was suppposed to be short and sweet, without all the extra BS to sift thru to get the information one is looking for?! It's only early October and you guys are already up to 14 friggen pages!
    Yeah, it's always that easy to get a whole forum to agree to discuss things the way you'd like. Here's the way I see it...

    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day, teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. The discussions are the teaching part. There's a lot of cheap skiing/travel knowledge in our collective brains, in my opinion the more that comes out the better. For a quick example I looked at the first trip spreadsheet I could find. 2014 Montana, 3 people, 9 days of skiing. Total coast per person $731.50 for airfare, hotels, suv rental and lift tickets. If other people are pulling off stuff like that, I want to hear about it and learn from them. I think a lot of what I've learned already is from the "BS" between the deals, and I'd like to keep it that way. So thank you to everybody who shared their cheap skiing stories over the years!!! I couldn't have become such a cheapo with out you!!!

  10. #140
    Check the stickes. Contribute.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 7:20 PM.