• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Help me plan a trip

Razor

Heading into radiation for prostate cancer in a couple of weeks. Prognosis is good and things should work out OK. But it prompts me to think about finally doing a bucket list trip next year using the Ikon Pass. This year is out as we've already got the New England Bronze pass. My wife and I are retired, just bought a new Sienna, and are looking to head out west with our dog for February and March, 2019.

With that in mind, how about some help in planning an itinerary? We're 70, can ski pretty much anything except for insane stuff, and would like to do this while we still can. Dog-friendly places would be helpful, and we can afford to stay in decent places, although not super high end. Thanks in advance.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Consider the SLC area. Great base for MANY ski areas. Ikon has a lot of places out here...unlimited at Solitude, days at other places.

jaytrem

Feb and March, like a 2 month trip? Sounds like you should pick up an Epic to go with the ikon and just go everywhere. That being said, there is nothing better than interior BC. Can't wait to hear what you come up with!

jimk

If this year is for Bronze/Sugarloaf, Sunday River. Loon, then did you mean for IKON 2019-2020?
With Ikon, assuming resort line up stays the same you could stay in one location in the SLC area for about a month skiing Alta/Bird, Sol/Bright and DV. You could spend a lot of time in Colorado as well, but might have to relocate once or twice. In California you could split time between Mammoth and Squaw, but you'd have to relocate for each. In western Canada you could spend time in Banff and Revelstoke. Jackson Hole and Big Sky could be worth detours:)

I have done a big road trip, but I would not suggest a drive all over kingdom come at 70 with a wife and dog.

vrbo is a great option for places to stay especially if you book for a week or more.

Strongly urge you to visit the national parks of the SW as part of your trip. They are relatively empty that time of year and if you bring clothes for Winter you will be fine. Arches, Zion and the Grand Canyon should be on your list if you have not been.

Since it is a bucket list I would look into a cat skiing experience for a few days. Better places book early so if you book early the rest of the trip planning may pivot around it.

If you are going to drive to chase snow, I found opensnow to be a worthwhile investment.

Have fun planning

Glenn

Hang in there Razor. Hope all goes well with your treatments.

Razor

If this year is for Bronze/Sugarloaf, Sunday River. Loon, then did you mean for IKON 2019-2020?
With Ikon, assuming resort line up stays the same you could stay in one location in the SLC area for about a month skiing Alta/Bird, Sol/Bright and DV. You could spend a lot of time in Colorado as well, but might have to relocate once or twice. In California you could split time between Mammoth and Squaw, but you'd have to relocate for each. In western Canada you could spend time in Banff and Revelstoke. Jackson Hole and Big Sky could be worth detours:)

Yes, you're correct. My bad.

jimk

Hang in there Razor. Hope all goes well with your treatments.

I second that emotion!

Regarding Cat in January comment, I drove from Wash DC area to SLC to Banff and back to DC in 26 days this past March and it was too much driving. I was greedy with a MCP and hit Utah resorts, Jackson, Revy, and Banff resorts. They were great, but the long hauls in between were a bit much and my wife accompanied me and let me know that the whole 7000 mile trip:)
In 2015 I did a two month ski trip. Bounced around for the first month and for the second month I stayed in Summit County, CO with epicpass. Really enjoyed staying in one condo for that duration of time and just driving short distances to a nice variety of nearby resorts.

Last edited:

raisingarizona

Good news on your prognosis Razor! Modern medicine is pretty darn amazing.

Between Summit, SLC, Jackson, Bozeman and the Four Corners region (San Juans/N. New Mexico) you have plenty of awesome skiing to keep you busy for a season or a couple of months. I would try to stay flexible and bounce around depending on snow storms. I don't think lodging would be too difficult if you're not too picky. Summit County might be tight tho, I don't really know.

skifree

I would wait to see where snow falls.
You sound flexible. Follow the snow!!!!!