Peak Resorts to buy Ski Liberty, Ski Roundtop, and Ski Whitetail in South Central PA - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    While 2 hours isn't exactly close. The Poconos resorts are 2.5 hours away. Hunter is 5 hours away.

I bet we see something priced like the Ranger package and I can now ski the 3 south central PA mountains and JF and BB in the Poconos. To be honest, that actually wouldn't be all that bad. I don't need or want any days at Hunter or Mt Snow.
    2018-2019

TBD

Quote Originally Posted by jimmywilson69 View Post
    While 2 hours isn't exactly close. The Poconos resorts are 2.5 hours away. Hunter is 5 hours away.

I bet we see something priced like the Ranger package and I can now ski the 3 south central PA mountains and JF and BB in the Poconos. To be honest, that actually wouldn't be all that bad. I don't need or want any days at Hunter or Mt Snow.
    How does Seven springs or Blue knob factor in ? Aren't they closer with better snow than the Poconos?
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!”

Ben Franklin

7 Springs gets the lake effect, but the terrain has a lot to be desired. Because of the lake effect, tree skiing is in play. It also is very crowded on the weekend and they are charging like they are in Southern Vermont.

Blue Knob is hit or miss. Its at the end of the lake effect area and they don't make a lot of snow. When the skiing is good there it is REALLY GOOD. When it is bad, it is really bad. Some legit steeps and tree runs there.
    2018-2019

TBD

Quote Originally Posted by Newpylong View Post
    They're making payments on current debt service and have plenty of collateral to place attachments or liens on. Someone would be dumb not to loan them money.
    It would be interesting to see what the collateral arrangements are. The financials of SKIS are truly awful. While the EBITDA margin of this acquisition isnt bad (and I'm sure they think they can cut costs), I was pretty surprised to see them buying anything at this point and loading up on additional debt. That said, the stock did nothing in reaction, so Wall Street doesn't perceive it as a threat to the dividend.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by jaytrem View Post
    So those 3 aren't too crowded compared to the Poconos? Don't know much about them at all. Would no doubt go during a regular non-holiday weekend. Maybe hit Bear Creek on the way out and pick up a bonus.

Seems like there's never a lift line at Jack Frost, but the lodge can be a bit crazy.
    Are you coming from Philly? These places are well run, but smallish and crowded on most weekends in Jan and Feb. I'd rather go north to Hunter, Snow, etc if I lived in Philly and had the Peak pass. Shucks, I'd keep going to Wildcat

BTW, Jimmy Wilson is pretty much right on with all his comments in this thread about these places and as he says Roundtop is the most tolerable on good weekends but is smallest of three, Whitetail has longest continuous vertical but runs are all alike, Liberty has a decent mix of stuff given its small size.

For DC and Baltimore skiers/boarders Whitetail's old slogan, nothing close comes close - applies to all three. They are good daytrip areas on the order of Wachusett.
    Last edited by jimk; Sep 27, 2018 at 7:16 PM.

newAnnualSnow.jpg

Or maybe take up AT . There's a small area North of Rt 70 in southwest Pa that averages 150" of snow .

Edit. Laurel mountain is open again .Looks small but maybe some woods in play with a good season average ?
    Last edited by Siliconebobsquarepants; Sep 28, 2018 at 7:13 AM.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!”

Ben Franklin

Boy that chart's depressingly meager. Probably the #1 reason I rarely ever hit the Poconos.

President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Thread Information