• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Where do you buy your gear?

cdskier

We stopped at a ski shop in Waitsfield, VT last season and they had very few skis. Shop owner told us he was no longer going to sell skis as he made so little $ on them and sold so few... everyone buying online.

What store was that? I can't think of any in the MRV that would have said that.

crank

What store was that? I can't think of any in the MRV that would have said that.

It was on the right side of 100 heading towards Waterbury from Sugarbush near the north end of town. Have no idea what the place was called.

I specifically remember him saying he only made about $20 from selling a pair of skis. I am sure due to price competition with online outlets.

farlep99

It was on the right side of 100 heading towards Waterbury from Sugarbush near the north end of town. Have no idea what the place was called.

I specifically remember him saying he only made about $20 from selling a pair of skis. I am sure due to price competition with online outlets.

Clearwater

puckoach

Skis, bindings and boots from Pete, at Rodgers in Lincoln NH.

Great and patient as a boot fitter. Went to 15 stores before he was the one to solve a unique problem for my wife. Has also taken care of many friends.

Knows the skis and their applications. Easy to demo, and choose. Again, he has served many friends.

I did buy a jacket online last year. Couldn't find size and color anywhere. Previous jacket was also from a store, in the late 80's......

cdskier

Clearwater

If that's the one he was thinking of, then that does make sense as they aren't what I would consider one of the major ski shops in the area. I always considered them more of an outdoor gear store in general but they wouldn't pop into my head if I was looking to buy skis.

WWF-VT

If that's the one he was thinking of, then that does make sense as they aren't what I would consider one of the major ski shops in the area. I always considered them more of an outdoor gear store in general but they wouldn't pop into my head if I was looking to buy skis.

My guess is Infinite Sports....even when it was Inverness they always had a limited ski inventory

cdskier

My guess is Infinite Sports....even when it was Inverness they always had a limited ski inventory

The description of location from crank doesn't quite match up with Infinite. Infinite is nowhere near the north end of town.

Smellytele

Being a tele skier most local shops don't carry anything. Online 100% for my gear. Get the kids stuff there most of the time but did get a pair of skis for my youngest last year at a ski swap that was also selling new stuff. Clothing always online. Wife did get a pair of skis at Sport Thoma last year after demoing some gear. They let her demo skis for 2 days for the price of 1 and used it toward the skis anyway.

Glenn

We stopped at a ski shop in Waitsfield, VT last season and they had very few skis. Shop owner told us he was no longer going to sell skis as he made so little $ on them and sold so few... everyone buying online.

Interesting. My wife and I were at a shop in SoVT last weekend to have our skis tuned. We took a look around to see what they had for gear. I was surprised with their ski selection this year; it seemed small. Guess there could be a reason behind that.

crank

I am thinking it was Infinite. Maybe not as north as I thought but definitely a ski shop no paddling, etc. I just remember we were driving home early due to r##$. and stopped off for some shopping.

cdskier

I am thinking it was Infinite. Maybe not as north as I thought but definitely a ski shop no paddling, etc. I just remember we were driving home early due to r##$. and stopped off for some shopping.

If it helps jog your memory, Infinite is in the Mehuron's shopping center. Clearwater is further down the road more on its own and north of Bridge Street.

tumbler

Interesting. My wife and I were at a shop in SoVT last weekend to have our skis tuned. We took a look around to see what they had for gear. I was surprised with their ski selection this year; it seemed small. Guess there could be a reason behind that.

I think a lot of shops are still getting some of their gear in.

Pez

Ski Inn Wilbraham, MA. been a customer since i could stand.

drjeff

My hunch is that you will still see actual ski shops, with a decent, albeit likely smaller selection of skis/boots/etc in the immediate vicinity of medium and large ski areas for a long time to come. In more metropolitan areas, my hunch is that the days of the true, dedicated ski shops, at least the ones that are still open, are numbered as more and more of the general skiing population buys online for their ski equipment just like they now do for some many other items in their daily lives.

The more dedicated skiers, will still seek out an appreciate the quality service that a GOOD shop provides, that an online retailer simply can't. Many of their customers will be the folks who may be second home owners in the area, or dedicated locals (either of the retiree age or younger who are living and working and/or ski bumming in the area and need some equipment quickly due to breakage). My hunch is also that you'll see some shops focus only on skiing or only on boarding as a way to reduce costs via needing to carry a smaller inventory that can be more sport specific.

For me personally, as I did with my kids last weekend when they got fit for their race gear for this coming season ( 4 pairs of skis, 2 pairs of boots, 2 pairs of poles, 2 new GS suits, 2 pairs of poles), there is something on a core level that is appealing to me, about being in a ski shop, actually holding the equipment I'm considering purchasing, and interacting with the staff that has been a part of my ski life for almost 40 years now that clicking on an image online and then waiting for the FedEx/UPS delivery to end up on my front porch

dlague

Don't have a ton of gear but usually I'll check the local shops and if their prices are competitive I'll buy it there.

Powder7.com has pretty good deals on late model skis though.
I bought demo skis at powder 7 last season at their actual retail location. But found them online. The skis were the previous year model but since I could physically look at them I was able to find skis st a great price in really great condition.

Other places I look

Evo.com online and visit their store in Denver
Levelninesports.com
Skiessentials.com
The-house.com
Skis.com although do not usually many good deals there

Shop outlets for jackets and pants. Or local shops like Christy Sports and Epic Mountain Gear (Vail owned) as well as for basic tuning.

When in NH Ski Liquidators in North Conway

Sent from my SM-G930V using AlpineZone mobile app

ThinkSnow

It was Infinite. Had the same conversation with Seth (the owner).

BenedictGomez

SKIS - Last years demo fleet, with bindings, online, usually $250 - $350 for pretty much anything

Bindings (if not on skis) - last year to 3 year old stock, online, usually $90 to $140

Boots - new, but last years models, online, usually $90 to $150 for boots that were very recently $450 or more

Clothing - I like Sierra Trading, though sometimes I get lucky & find something pricey at T.J. Maxx for cheap