• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Where do you buy your gear?

skiur

Online or at a store? I buy the majority of my gear online. The only thing I really buy in a store are my boots, or emergency items like if something broke while skiing and needed immediate replacement to continue skiing. Skis are always bought online as you can save hundreds on the same skis buying them online. As an Amazon prime member if I order clothing of the wrong size I can return it for free, hell I often buy 2 sizes and just send back the one that doesn't fit right. Boots are different because I always need to ski a day then have the boots worked on to fit correctly.

mbedle

Home Depot! Duct tape works great.... lol Actually, I don't buy a lot of ski stuff, same jacket, pants, socks, gloves, thermals, etc for years. I did pick up a spring jacket last year at a ski shop - paid a small fortune for it, but was way to hot to ski in the winter one.

shwilly

Usually online -- the House, Backcountry, places like that. My snowboard needs are fairly basic, and I've never had a problem finding a good all mountain board of the right size. I did once get some good bindings at Pinnacle Snowboard Shop when my old binding gave out.

Ms. Shwilly has gotten a couple deals on skis at the mountain over the years.

We got the kids' and my skis at a local shop until the owner passed away and they closed, sadly. Not sure what we'll do for their boots this year.

For goggles and gloves, we try to buy online, but if we're on mountain and something gives out or gets lost, we'll bite the bullet and go to the shop.

We favor a ski shop for ski boots because their fit is so finicky and they so frequently need adjustments.

bdfreetuna

Don't have a ton of gear but usually I'll check the local shops and if their prices are competitive I'll buy it there.

Powder7.com has pretty good deals on late model skis though.

machski

I split pretty much 50/50. Most of the time, skis and bindings online but I have bought skis at SR sports occasionally when they have a good deal. Poles are 50/50, basic aluminum ones are usually just as cheap at a shop. Boots always at SR sports til now, but Greg is going over to My. Abrahm so will likely go over there (at the very least for fittings. May buy models online if their selection is low but he will be doing the custom work).
Clothing I used a mix as well, pants online and jackets often up at Ski and Snowboard Liquidators in North Conway. Great prices there and normally a good selection, and being able to try them before I buy is nice.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Edd

I do a mix also. Sometimes, brick and mortar deals are the best available at that moment.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

drjeff

Probably 90% local shops in the Mount Snow area, mainly First Trax Sports Shop though, with some online purchases for some race gear for my kids and occasional soft goods/outwear

If the price is in the ballpark compared to online, then for me atleast, paying a little extra for the customer service and hands on buying experience is worth it. Secondly as a small business owner myself, I want to help support other local small businesses as well

ThinkSnow

Will frequently try items on for fit in local stores, but often end up buying online. Otherwise, REI, NSP, Outdoor Gear Exchange...

bushpilot

Since I don't live on the east coast anymore I will give you my top tips. Sign up for the Waitsfield ski swap on the Friday night. Sign up for the Skis section. All Friday night you can check in all the gear and look at what is already available. Get on line 1 hour before it opens for the volunteer pre sale. First in line head right to the ski section. Grab your gear. I have picked up great pairs for 100 bucks and under. Once I got a pair of ladies dynastars for 5 bucks for a friend. She didn't want them and I traded them in to a ski shop for a 75 dollar credit.

For soft goods head to Lahouts discount warehouse in Littleton. Racks of last years pants and jackets for 60 bucks. Gloves for 10-20 and lots of other great deals.

Domeskier

I'm willing to pay a premium to buy online because it means never having to leave the house or talk to strangers. That said, I really hope the good folks at Amazon are not monitoring this thread.

Scruffy

50/50. I try real hard to support the brick and mortar ski shops, esp. the one my booth fitter owns, and I only buy boots from him. But sometimes you gotta seize the opportunity of an online deal. Anymore, if a brick and mortar store isn't also online or at least using ebay to clear their leftover stock, they are not going to last.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Skis and bindings Online ,I used to work in a ski shop so I mount my own bindings. Boots are tough though I lucked out the last two used purchases. Gloves ....mid season local ski area lost and found :p....kidding but may rumage this year .

tumbler

Boots and skis and some random clothes from Alpine Options at Bush. I like supporting them. Lots of other clothes online.

abc

50/50

I wish I can say I go out of my way to support local shops. But it aren't the truth.

Truth is, a lot of local shops give pretty good discount. If I'm passing a store after skiing and am not in a hurry to get home, and it's got a big SALE sign out, especially in spring? I'm going to stop in. And often time, I came out with something and left some $$ in there!

That being a hit or miss opportunity, I buy the rest I don't find in local shop online.

It works out kind of 50/50. Some items, the shops don't carry, or don't have my size. I buy them online. Other stuff, the price differential is too big to buy locally. But if it's my size, and it's similarly priced as online, I drop the coin and take the item home.

I dislike the hassle of having to return anything that doesn't work out. So buying local saves all that hassle. I put it on. It either fits or it doesn't.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Traditional ski shops are tough down here in the Flatlands because it's usually a staff of teenagers led by a manager who knows their stuff and that's it (in my experience). A lot of the 20-somethings do know there stuff pretty well. Buy in ski country and you're gonna pay for it...some places though like Ludlow and the Killington access road have enough competition to keep prices sane but if you're the only game in Buttfucknowhere, ME, chances are you'll bleed through the nose.

cdskier

It varies widely. Boots I will always buy in a local shop. Skis I've bought online as well as through local shops. My new jacket I bought at a local independent outdoor store in NJ last year. My gloves I bought at REI (in person). My current goggles and helmet I bought at local shops in VT. I personally don't mind spending a few extra dollars at a local shop if they have what I want and have good service. I also do buy some things online though once in a while (most of my base layers I bought online over the years).

Glenn

Mostly shops in VT. We’ve had good luck at the various tent sales.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crank

Boots at store. Skis and bindings online.

Clothing usually in stores at early season tent sales or late season left overs.

We stopped at a ski shop in Waitsfield, VT last season and they had very few skis. Shop owner told us he was no longer going to sell skis as he made so little $ on them and sold so few... everyone buying online.