(h)Opening Day Thread 2018-2019

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

(h)Opening Day Thread 2018-2019

One of my favorite threads each year is the opening day thread...the inevitable SR vs Killington comments. Someone uniformed shouting "don't forget about Woodbury!" even though they've been closed going on 3 seasons now. The people coming out of left-field saying Mt. Never-opened-earlier-than-Thanksgiving is gonna steal the show this year. People saying "they're only blowing out the mice- this isn't real!" as a webcam shows maximum snowmaking production. Skiers who "brag" about how they don't go out til after MLK weekend because the conditions suck anytime beforehand. The "armchair meteorologists" coming out and making crazy claims about how the temperature at the summit is gonna be 15 degrees cooler than what NOAA forecasts...just a lovely time to be on the forums

Well there certainly won't be any historically early openings this year. Just no cold air to speak of. Usually Sunday River has done a teaser on a 35 degree day by now but not this year. But at least the ponds are full, that's for sure

Anyways...not to tease without any information...

This is the NOAA temperature outlook map for October 6-19. It's old, last updated Spetember 21. This is not severity, just a % chance that the temperature will be above or below normal.
    snow1819.jpg

It's worth noting that NEXT weekend, the 6-8th, the European, GFS, and Canadian all have some type of cold front coming through! Just something to watch and get the juices flowing again! We'll be skiing sooner than later people!
    2018-2019 2 days and counting...
    Mount Snow: 10/27
    Killington: 11/16
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

Quote Originally Posted by ss20 View Post
    One of my favorite threads each year is the opening day thread...the inevitable SR vs Killington comments. Someone uniformed shouting "don't forget about Woodbury!"
    Don't forget the year Beech Mtn in NC opened first on the east coast.

I don't think anyone can forecast more than a week in advance air mass movement to any accurate degree. Things move, stall, other factors pre-empt it, or it just doesn't materialize.

Opening day could be anywhere from October 20th to November 10th. Or so.

Not ready yet any way
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days

As someone who's without heat and hot water from the gas explosions in Lawrence/Andover/North Andover, I wouldn't mind a couple mild weeks ahead. Once I have my gas back, the temps can plummet and the ski season can begin.

Euro has no sustainable cold air - in fact is way above normal - through mid October (which is as far out as the daily model goes). The weeklies show some cold air coming thereafter - second half of October.
    2017/18 = 37
    2016/17 = 31
    2015/16 = Depressing
    2014/15 = 28
    2013/14 = 27

need the Bermuda high to collapse

Quote Originally Posted by slatham View Post
    Euro has no sustainable cold air - in fact is way above normal - through mid October (which is as far out as the daily model goes). The weeklies show some cold air coming thereafter - second half of October.
    While a cold October is good for stoke it’s often bad for the rest of the season. JB says a wet October is what we’re looking for in terms of a better skiers winter.

October 2011 I had 14” .... crappy rest of the year.
    “Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote!”

Ben Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by MEtoVTSkier View Post
    I like that better.

As to the original question, no openings here in Utah until the week of Thanksgiving. We will be lucky if we make that. It has been WAY above normal temperature-wise and we have not had any rain in four months. So colder and wetter is welcome.

I will be interested to watch the perennial Sunday River vs. Killington match.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

wait to the second half of October.

Thread Information