• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

(h)Opening Day Thread 2018-2019

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I really don't understand the doubt of K opening here...they have a 36 hour window of solid temperatures...they've opened up in less than that window before. They have more cold air coming Sunday night/Monday so they can sustain themselves for opening. I'm sure they have a gondola plan in place to get cabins (new or old) on the line and up the hill as soon as they're able to open.

The negative PR shitstorm that would ensue if they couldn't get open this weekend because cabins aren't on the line or because "the snow would melt away next week" would be hugely detrimental to the "Beast" mentality they've been trying to rebuild since the Nyberg era when they pissed off pretty much everyone. They don't want to go back to that...

machski

I really don't understand the doubt of K opening here...they have a 36 hour window of solid temperatures...they've opened up in less than that window before. They have more cold air coming Sunday night/Monday so they can sustain themselves for opening. I'm sure they have a gondola plan in place to get cabins (new or old) on the line and up the hill as soon as they're able to open.

The negative PR shitstorm that would ensue if they couldn't get open this weekend because cabins aren't on the line or because "the snow would melt away next week" would be hugely detrimental to the "Beast" mentality they've been trying to rebuild since the Nyberg era when they pissed off pretty much everyone. They don't want to go back to that...
This is true and I would lend more credance to your thinking if we were discussing this on October 27th. Today being October 16th, I don't think anyone would get on them for not opening this weekend, Gondola work or not. With additional windows opening next week, an October open looks to be a pretty sure bet as of now and that is all anyone really cares about. Sure we like to see it open ASAP, buut if it delays 3 or 4 days to let them finish work on the Gondi, I don't think they will take much flak.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

drjeff

Sounds like the completion, or lack of completion of the K-1 Gondola cabin swap out project is the biggest potential hurdle around an opening in the next few days or not. And with all of the rain as of late, and the ground being quite saturated, the option of trucking people over to North Ridge from the top of some lift, or even potential to/from the base of Canyon Quad, may be a bit of a logistical problem as well...

I don't think looking at the forecast and knowing the firepower that the K snowmakers have, that very many people doubt that they can make enough snow the by the weekend to open

slatham

I agree the FORECASTED window Wed-Fri is enough to open IMHO. But challenging decision given some rain on Saturday. That said, any precip on Sunday up high will be snow. In fact, the Euro has turned colder, longer for next week, now Saturday night through Thursday morning. It's even throwing a decent accumulation into the mix Tuesday-Wednesday. If correct things are going to look very different by late next week and Killington will be in good shape.

mister moose

I agree the FORECASTED window Wed-Fri is enough to open IMHO. But challenging decision given some rain on Saturday.
I don't see a challenging decision - make snow in whales in the deep cold spell. Issue teasers on social media. Decide to open when the weather and snowpack is certain and give about 24 hours notice for a passholders day. This is the MO. If instead the weather goes completely down the tubes Saturday and they don't open they will have large whales in the bank to build on for the following cold snap.

GregoryIsaacs

I cant remember a year where we've had options for pre-Halloween skiing. Part of me worries about how this may turn out come January/February though

cdskier

While I'll never truly understand you WROD warriors, I greatly appreciate your enthusiasm.

I love skiing and I love seeing the snow-making getting fired up, but I'll also wait until there's a bit more to ski. If I lived closer to these places maybe I'd be more inclined to rush out as soon as someone opened.

skiur

While I'll never truly understand you WROD warriors, I greatly appreciate your enthusiasm.

Killington always opens with wall to wall coverage on rime and reason, certainly not a ribbon. There will be a small park set up on reason as well.

tnt1234

I love skiing and I love seeing the snow-making getting fired up, but I'll also wait until there's a bit more to ski. If I lived closer to these places maybe I'd be more inclined to rush out as soon as someone opened.

This.

I did drive 3 hrs. to hunter on black friday a few years ago for like three trails. That's about my limit.

tumbler

I cant remember a year where we've had options for pre-Halloween skiing. Part of me worries about how this may turn out come January/February though

Yes, cold October is not a good thing. December usually gets the warmth...fingers crossed though.

machski

Been quite a few actually, though the last 3 have just been too warm. Usually K/SR option and occasionally the Cat has played in October as well. There may have been a few others over the years.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

skiur

WROD refers to a couple of trails with hundreds of People on them (Most being barely able to ski). WHITE RIBBON OF DEATH.

Where the trail has only a ribbon of snow on it, which, as I said, K will not be.