• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

(h)Opening Day Thread 2018-2019

thebigo

Wildcat going to top to bottom including base area per webcam and video they posted.

WJenness

Looks like K's stairs will be one way soon:

2CM4a2C.png

Zand

Still remember after Irene when Killington announced they'd be opening Saturday at 10 am and then Sunday River announced Saturday at 10:01 so Killington could be first.

Edd

Still remember after Irene when Killington announced they'd be opening Saturday at 10 am and then Sunday River announced Saturday at 10:01 so Killington could be first.

I didn’t know about that. Super cool.

drjeff

We'll learn a bunch more about K's want to get top to bottom during the next decent window of temps (if a complete rebuild/ resurface isn't needed) and if they light up either Lower East Fall or possibly Highline. I'm guessing until they're done with the Snowdon 6 and the Bunny Tunnel that they want to keep any non construction folks away from that area. And those routes would be the most straightforward to get to the base.

Plus there's a rumor on K-zone that once the top terminal of the Snowdon 6 is fully assembled, that K might have to push the snow on Great Northern out of the way to facilitate the moving of the crane apparently at the top of the S6 now on up and over to the top of the new South ridge lift for assembly purposes over there, and then push the snow back onto Great Northern and resurface.

K with the stairway and the North Ridge pod and it's elevation has a great set up to get open early. K, even with all of it's snowmaking firepower doesn't have the best set ups to get open top to bottom as quickly as other areas, especially this year when you factor in the construction on Snowdon and the demands that the World Cup places on things

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

Jully

Kzone is going nuts over the ttb situation as usual. History says they open ttb the weekend before Thanksgiving-ish. I bet it'll be around then this year too though. It appears to me that there are enough options beyond the typical Great Northern route through the construction for that to impact anything.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Kzone is going nuts over the ttb situation as usual. History says they open ttb the weekend before Thanksgiving-ish. I bet it'll be around then this year too though. It appears to me that there are enough options beyond the typical Great Northern route through the construction for that to impact anything.

No it's the typical ignorant select few that rile up the whole bunch over there who argue with people who know K inside/out. It's pretty entertaining.

Jully

No it's the typical ignorant select few that rile up the whole bunch over there who argue with people who know K inside/out. It's pretty entertaining.

Lol, that is fair. Definitely can be entertaining as a spectator. I feel for those who actually try and contribute over there though.

Last edited:

Newpylong

Re: K-zone - that is an interesting crowd. There are a bunch who seem to go with the flow and are knowledgeable but just as many who would complain with 12 months of skiing a year. I cannot wrap my hands around the level of criticism over their mountain. They are putting in ungodly amounts of cash to fix major problems, improve the mountain, etc. From my standpoint, a person who calls K home has the world by the balls.