• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

(h)Opening Day Thread 2018-2019

chuckstah

Snow is selling advance Tix starting Nov 10, for whatever that's worth.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

jaytrem

Anyone know when Mount Snow plans to open? I assume it will be like last year with top to bottom of 3 different faces. Great way to open.

They started selling tix starting Nov 10th a while ago. Of course we need some help from mother nature, but it's a good sign.

bdfreetuna

Thanks. Hopefully by Nov 10th it's also game on for several other places. If we have prolonged cool temps I hope it's taken advantage of.

Not interested in skiing just Killington North Ridge, will wait until somebody is offering decent vert without a hike.

ALLSKIING

Staff member
Damn I check out for a couple days, come back and it's looking like within 48

Was up there this past weekend. The new Snowdon lift is still in pieces in the parking lot, towers, haul rope, bullwheel. K1 still running with the old cabins but I think they can swap those out rather quickly. New pass scanners seem to be in place. It looks like they still have a lot of work to do and the World Cup is right around the corner. I didn't get a sense of panic but I'm sure the project progress meetings there are very interesting.
I was up as well and was a little shocked at how much work is left. Pretty much half of K1 parking lot is a construction site. I was also surprised the storage for the gondola wasn't finished since it was moving along labor day weekend. Hopefully it looks like more work then it is because they dont have much time left.

Sent from my SM-N950U using AlpineZone mobile app

sull1102

Hmm, might have to use my Peak Pass for Mt snow. Just gotta pay for gas....

Not a bad ride at all if you go Taconic Parkway-->Rt295-->Rt22-->Rt7 (sounds more complicated when I list it like that but really not a bad ride at all)

urungus

Snow is selling advance Tix starting Nov 10, for whatever that's worth.

Yup only 35.99 Sat / Sun and 31.99 on the holiday Monday Nov 12. Either they won’t be open and you get your money back, or they will be open (and last year they had by far the best early season setup).

Bostonian

Yup only 35.99 Sat / Sun and 31.99 on the holiday Monday Nov 12. Either they won’t be open and you get your money back, or they will be open (and last year they had by far the best early season setup).

So far the forecast looks good going into next week, and will keep going down so they can blow snow by the first week of November.

weather.jpg

JimG.

Staff member
Not a bad ride at all if you go Taconic Parkway-->Rt295-->Rt22-->Rt7 (sounds more complicated when I list it like that but really not a bad ride at all)

It's an awesome ride. I live off the TSP just north of 84. Great route for drivers who enjoy a manual transmission.

Door to door 2:45 to Snow and 3:15 to K.

slatham

Looking at the models and soundings Killington has a short and marginal window tonight, slightly better tomorrow night. I am using 28 degree wet bulb as threshold which for K early season and in aggressive mode I think is valid. But would appreciate any real intel from the people in the know.

Wednesday night through Friday mid day is the real deal. I didn't look at soundings but temps at 2,500' are below freezing the entire stretch. Euro is printing out accumulating snow on the spine of the greens, though it doesn't factor in how warm the ground is. Still, this is a window for them to pounce, even on SS at least up top. October opening?

Long range is looking very positive for a good stretch of colder than normal temps leading into the WC race.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Looking at the models and soundings Killington has a short and marginal window tonight, slightly better tomorrow night. I am using 28 degree wet bulb as threshold which for K early season and in aggressive mode I think is valid. But would appreciate any real intel from the people in the know.

Wednesday night through Friday mid day is the real deal. I didn't look at soundings but temps at 2,500' are below freezing the entire stretch. Euro is printing out accumulating snow on the spine of the greens, though it doesn't factor in how warm the ground is. Still, this is a window for them to pounce, even on SS at least up top. October opening?

Long range is looking very positive for a good stretch of colder than normal temps leading into the WC race.

Even with Monday rain I also think they should try to blow tonight and tomorrow night to get some piles made. Wednesday night onward looks like serious time. Ideally I'd think they'd try for a Friday passholder opening and then open to the public for the weekend.

Jully

Even with Monday rain I also think they should try to blow tonight and tomorrow night to get some piles made. Wednesday night onward looks like serious time. Ideally I'd think they'd try for a Friday passholder opening and then open to the public for the weekend.

Oof. A Saturday public opening would be chaos.

skiNEwhere

Sunday is supposed be very cold in CO. Single digits or less, great for snowmaking. My guess it that A-Basin opens Monday or Tuesday at the latest. Bring on the WROD

Sent from my SM-G955U using AlpineZone mobile app

Smellytele

Pretty desperate to ski now since fishing has died for the most part.

But not that desperate.

When K opens it is not just a WROD. It is (or at least the last 3 years i have made opening day) edge to edge coverage. It is the lift line at the North ridge triple that sucks.