• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

(h)Opening Day Thread 2018-2019

Newpylong

Friday night the guns come on at K Peak and Superstar (if possible). Likely be able to go through Sat up top into Sunday.

skiur

I think Killington will be Uber aggressive with an early Thanksgiving. I thing they test with the cold this weekend and are locked and loaded for the cold shot around the 18th which looks to be reasonably deep and long and while it breaks, its followed by more cold shots to allow a base to be put down. Nov 1st is well within reason.

I wouldn't be surprised if they started to try and stockpile some snow on top of superstar this weekend. Last year they were very aggressive and made snow up there when there was a greater than 50% chance it was going to melt.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Where did someone read that FIS paid for the snowmaking?

It's been said they help cover the cost of snowmaking. I've heard is that the event by itself does not turn a profit. The value of the PR and the revenue to the businesses on the access road is huge though...but how much of that $$$ trickles back to K?

drjeff

I'm pretty surprised no guns have been dragged out onto Superstar yet. There's a serious chance of snowmaking happening Friday night-Sunday morning.
2 thoughts..... #1 they may just be looking at making snow up top in this initial window and as such haven't dragged the k2000's across from the feeder air and water lines yet lower down. #2 - doesn't take the crews at K in the big scheme of things very long to pull hoses and tripod guns and/or hook up the fixed towers or fan guns while firing up

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

cdskier

2 thoughts..... #1 they may just be looking at making snow up top in this initial window and as such haven't dragged the k2000's across from the feeder air and water lines yet lower down. #2 - doesn't take the crews at K in the big scheme of things very long to pull hoses and tripod guns and/or hook up the fixed towers or fan guns while firing up

#2a...they still have Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday as well to work on pulling out guns if they decide temps on SS look decent and they want to try to blow there.

sull1102

Damn I check out for a couple days, come back and it's looking like within 48-72 hours Killy will be making snow! I love this time of year. One quick question though, with all the work still ongoing at K even if they could spin the NRT on Rime Reason say Monday Tuesday would they? Is the gondi ready to go with the new haul rope and cabins? Cause I'm ready to get out there FOR SURE.

Sent from my Pixel using AlpineZone mobile app

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Damn I check out for a couple days, come back and it's looking like within 48-72 hours Killy will be making snow! I love this time of year. One quick question though, with all the work still ongoing at K even if they could spin the NRT on Rime Reason say Monday Tuesday would they? Is the gondi ready to go with the new haul rope and cabins? Cause I'm ready to get out there FOR SURE.

I'd assume that even with all the work on the hill they'd be ready to go. An opening date in the October 15-20 range isn't crazy early for them. It looks like the cold shot this weekend is just an appetizer to whatever comes early next week...so if they don't push hard this weekend it would make sense.

What's the plan to push for TTB with all the work over on Snowdon?? The Great Northern to Bunny Buster route is unattainable now with the new routing/tunnel on Great Northern. The new Great Northern goes right under the six pack which, with a lot of heavy construction still to go, I'm sure that won't be an openable trail. I'm hoping they blow on Highline or do Big Dipper and the runout out of the canyon.

Killingtime

Damn I check out for a couple days, come back and it's looking like within 48

Was up there this past weekend. The new Snowdon lift is still in pieces in the parking lot, towers, haul rope, bullwheel. K1 still running with the old cabins but I think they can swap those out rather quickly. New pass scanners seem to be in place. It looks like they still have a lot of work to do and the World Cup is right around the corner. I didn't get a sense of panic but I'm sure the project progress meetings there are very interesting.

sull1102

Damn I check out for a couple days, come back and it's looking like within 48

Was up there this past weekend. The new Snowdon lift is still in pieces in the parking lot, towers, haul rope, bullwheel. K1 still running with the old cabins but I think they can swap those out rather quickly. New pass scanners seem to be in place. It looks like they still have a lot of work to do and the World Cup is right around the corner. I didn't get a sense of panic but I'm sure the project progress meetings there are very interesting.
Hearing this I would bet you if they open for a short burst on the NRT next week they would just run the old cabins and hold off on putting the new stuff up. Although the idea of opening down to Canyon Quad is also very possible. Even down here near Manchester VT we're talking about snow at elevation this weekend so it could be very very close, i.e. if they want to do it they have a good shot.

bdfreetuna

What's the plan to push for TTB with all the work over on Snowdon??

After last season my eyes are on Mount Snow for an early season push. Was nearly a miracle what they achieved last season. Killington wasn't even a good option for practically a whole month especially with the World Cup.

Anyone know when Mount Snow plans to open? I assume it will be like last year with top to bottom of 3 different faces. Great way to open.

sull1102

After last season my eyes are on Mount Snow for an early season push. Was nearly a miracle what they achieved last season. Killington wasn't even a good option for practically a whole month especially with the World Cup.

Anyone know when Mount Snow plans to open? I assume it will be like last year with top to bottom of 3 different faces. Great way to open.

On Instagram they are phrasing it as "As early in November that Mother Nature will allow" so that is good news. If you are like me and desperate to get back out there then K will be the best option for the next two weeks or so and then expect to see Canyon, Cascade, Long John, and Freefall opening in the next 40 days or so.