• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

(h)Opening Day Thread 2018-2019

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Wolf Creek for the national win opening on October 13th.

We were able to get it! While I wanted to go my wife lead the charge and we made the 3 hour 45 minute drive there and back to ski about 5 hours. This opening day was different than any other. It was all natural after 30 inches of snow they opened with wide open skiing any where you want - no ropes. There were nice powder runs early then powder bumps. They groomed several runs which were nice all day. While powder in open spaces got thick when the Colorado sun hit it with temps in the high 30's, the trees remained soft. It was the best first day ever.

No lines, no WROD and powder, bumps, trees as well as lots of groomers in play.View attachment 24068View attachment 24069View attachment 24070View attachment 24071View attachment 24072

Sent from my SM-G930V using AlpineZone mobile app

Man my legs hurt just thinking about bumps on their first day out in six months :-o

Glad you got some dlague!!! :beer:

Cornhead

Sweet Dave, Wolf Creek is awesome, reminded me of a mini Abasin. Full of vacationing Texans when I was there. I couldn't believe they traveled that far. I felt like Bode Miller that day, lol.

Here's what we spotted hiking Hunter's fire tower yesterday. I had my AC on last week. It won't be long, K will be open soon.
IMG_20181014_134512044.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (4) using AlpineZone mobile app

Newpylong

Have not heard anything from the River, but K is looking to run as much as possible from tonight to Friday. Some nice wet bulb in the forecast for Thursday, esp this time of year.

slatham

Have not heard anything from the River, but K is looking to run as much as possible from tonight to Friday. Some nice wet bulb in the forecast for Thursday, esp this time of year.

Hum, not much of a window tonight. Maybe they just want to cool the ground down ;)

Wednesday night-Friday am looks ok. And again stating Saturday night with real time cold even at base elevations by Monday morning.

Someone opens next week. Can the beast pull off this weekend????

yeggous

Hum, not much of a window tonight. Maybe they just want to cool the ground down ;)

Wednesday night-Friday am looks ok. And again stating Saturday night with real time cold even at base elevations by Monday morning.

Someone opens next week. Can the beast pull off this weekend????

Seems like you're on the right track. I already called it this morning. I've been eyeing this for a while now. It's hard to ignore the cold coming next week to put us over the top. I've already started making arrangements.

machski

Anyone have the 411 on Killington's K1 work schedule. Thinking this could toss a wrench into a Friday open. The bright side of the K1 work is an issue is Friday looks to be a bit warmer before it dips again over the weekend. So if they have to delay but blow whenever it's cold enough, would make for real solid, killer opening day conditions.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

machski

Killington being aggressive- got to love it! Be interesting to see how much they can get down today. Much better temps tomorrow night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They had a live feed on FB thiis morning. Snow was made overnight looks more to be snowmaking commenced at crack of dawn as not much is down yet. Likely a test today, real production run to come. Again, I don't think K1 opens until the cabin swap out is complete so may not open this week, My guess is they wait til early next week,

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

slatham

Yes, just a test, or as I commented, cooling the ground down. Summit forecast is a high of 32.

I can't seem to find the North Ridge cam? Is this down?

Also, I checked out the summit "pano" cam and it looks to me like guns are running at the very top of SS.

Newpylong

They had a live feed on FB thiis morning. Snow was made overnight looks more to be snowmaking commenced at crack of dawn as not much is down yet. Likely a test today, real production run to come. Again, I don't think K1 opens until the cabin swap out is complete so may not open this week, My guess is they wait til early next week,

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

See my comment on Kzone. Top of Superstar was lit during the night and North Ridge followed due to winds.