• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Equipment setup for Beginner Question (snowboarder)

I have been on X-country skis before and played around a little on ski boards but this season I have committed to learn to alpine ski. I have Rossignol Evo 70 ski boots now and little used 2005 or 06 Volkl Supersport 4 star 168 cm skis. Ok or not?? Oh, I am 5'9" and weight 185 lbs. and will be 67 next month. I am thinking the skis are the correct size for me.

IceEidolon

Those are new enough to have visibly parabolic sidecuts, right?

Much more important than exactly which ski you have is that your boots fit well and you have some good instruction. It's not hard to learn to ski, but it can be hard to figure out how to ski without some help.
You'll also want to have your bindings checked for safety and adjusted to your height/weight and, depending on condition, your skis waxed and sharpened.

Sent from my Life Max using Tapatalk

IceEidolon

As a bargain find ski enthusiast myself - I have Volkl Supersport Allstars from the same time period - bindings age like milk, not wine. You want to find out if they're out of spec and either too easy or too hard to release before you trust your joints to them. Any reputable ski shop should be able to test and adjust them.

As for learning, almost any beginner ski in vaguely the right size is fine. Until you've skied some, you won't know if you want an agile carving ski, a solid stable more direct ski, a wider ignores the crud ski, or etc. Your setup can easily handle any terrain you'll be comfortable trying, and you probably won't outgrow it this season. By the time you're ready to advance past it, you'll know what characteristics you want in a new set.

Sent from my Life Max using Tapatalk

Yes that should be ok to learn on, but I strongly urge you to do two things.

You have not mentioned bindings, but I will assume you have them on the skis. Take the bindings in to a shop to have them checked for release. You will need to take both of your ski boots in. It is possible the shop may say they no longer can service the bindings. If this happens, I would likely buy something else. Just because buying new bindings and having them mounted would get you near or over a complete used newer set of skis and bindings. Lots of swaps this time of year. Ask for help

Assuming the bindings can be checked and pass have a base grind done. The edges likely have some rust, it will also put the base on an even plane and generally make the ski easier to use. Golf and Ski Warehouse in Scarborough often has inexpensive early season deals on base grinds. Give them a call if they are close enough to you.

Scruffy

I'd be very surprised to find that the bindings on those skis are indemnified. Marker usually only indemnifies for approx. 10 years. Keep in mind too that although you may be able to learn on those skis they are not beginner skis, they are intermediate to advanced intermediate de-tuned slalom race skis; way de-tuned for all mountain use albeit, but still may be too stiff for a beginner.

Since you already have them however, if you can get the skies serviced ( adjusted for you ) at at reputable ski shop, go ahead and take them to your beginner lessons and then see if you want to pursue the sport further. You'll at least be able to learn the basics of turning on them. If you do want to pursue the sport further, talk to your ski instructor about an appropriate ski to learn on. Too stiff of a ski can be a detriment to learning. Another option is to do a seasonal rental with a ski shop for your first year and then buy next year once you know more about what you want. You can get really good deals on slightly used beginner skis at ski swaps, or left over new stock at the shops once you know what you'll need to learn on.

I took them to the shop today so I will see what happens. I know these skis are not beginners ( I am not exactly a beginner so to speak) but I wanted to get to carving plus I already have them. They haven't been used much ( maybe one time) and were stored properly, even the grease looked fresh and not dried out, almost no rust on the edges and there were no marks on the base. Thanks to everyone who took the time to share their thoughts with me. If anything is to get upgraded quickly, it will probably be the boots.

UPDATE: The bindings no longer were on the approved list so I ended up getting seasonal rentals for boots and skis. I am looking forward to the new experience. All that is left for me to do is book me some ski lessons. I figure if I can snowboard I can learn to ski, even at 67.