• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Blue Mountain Vs. Camelback

raisingarizona

The next time someone asks me how come I live 1 hour or less to all the Pocono mountains, yet can go 2 or 3 years in a row without skiing a single day in the Poconos, I'm going to copy/paste the above post. I'd add, "is it currently an ice rink", but other than that it's perfect.

Exactly. That's why I originally posted....

Zoloft vs. Paxil?

Because no matter which one you choose it's still depressing.

tnt1234

But I still remember a KILLER day at blue about 3 years ago....there was a freakish snow storm that cut across PA and NJ....Catskills got a bit, VT got skunked.

Daughter and I left at 6am, snow had been falling for 8-10 hours. drive was a solid hour longer than usual.

But Blue had the sense to NOT GROOM about half the mountain! It was just flat out awesome. And pretty empty. Roads were really tough. Schools were closed, and by the time we left around 3-4, it was filling up for night skiing. But we had an absolute blast. I think it was like 10-12" storm, and real light snow.

BenedictGomez

But I still remember a KILLER day at blue about 3 years ago....there was a freakish snow storm that cut across PA and NJ....Catskills got a bit, VT got skunked.

Daughter and I left at 6am, snow had been falling for 8-10 hours. drive was a solid hour longer than usual.

But Blue had the sense to NOT GROOM about half the mountain! It was just flat out awesome. And pretty empty. Roads were really tough. Schools were closed, and by the time we left around 3-4, it was filling up for night skiing. But we had an absolute blast. I think it was like 10-12" storm, and real light snow.

I was there that day. We got 36" in my town in Jersey.

I had the foresight to shovel every 6" or 8" and would periodically lay tracks with the SUV out the driveway so I could get out in the morning. I was passing "ghost rigs" on the highway, truckers just abandoned their vehicles, which were subsequently plowed in 5' high.

It was way more than 12" at Blue though, closer to 20". Best Pocono day of my life.

IceEidolon

If I remember right, Sidewinder had just opened but not as a park - that was a treat. Plus the powder just kept coming down all day long.

Sent from my Life Max using Tapatalk

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com

I had the foresight to shovel every 6" or 8" and would periodically lay tracks with the SUV out the driveway so I could get out in the morning. I was passing "ghost rigs" on the highway, truckers just abandoned their vehicles, which were subsequently plowed in 5' high.

It was way more than 12" at Blue though, closer to 20". Best Pocono day of my life.

Yes I made a mistake that day I traveled to my BC spot near Jim Thorpe expecting 2' . Turns out 5 miles north of the Blue Mountain there was only 12" with no base I hit rocks galore . Should have went to Blue :sadwalk: . I live about 20 miles South of Blue the cutoff was crazy from that storm. I had 3' as well .
IMG_4637.jpg

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!

I vividly remember you tracking that storm and then telling us about your experience. That was the season we do not speak of and everyone wanted that jackpot of snow. Didn't it go back to being super hot shortly after that storm?

tnt1234

Yeah, maybe it was that deep. I remember those rigs on 78 as well. Creepy.

It was so deep, we were behind a plow on 287 trying to cut out the first exit for 78 - part of the highway where 287 is two separate 3 lane highways just north of the somerville circle and you have to exit left into the western lanes to get to the 78 exit....

Plow got stuck!

He waved us off and we had to go up past 78 and turn around.

So worth it....

Switchback - I think that is the trail name - and Nightmare> Dream Weaver were ungroomed bliss. And the groomed trails were just incredibly soft. Only thing that was kind of surprisingly blah was Challenge. Guess it was just o windy during the storm for the snow to collect on the icy head wall!

Fun times.

JoeB-Z

At Blue you get hit by faster crappy skiers than at Camelback due to at least some pitch! The one time I went it was a weekday. Very scary, just so different from my VT mountain. So many really bad skiers. Even the equipment was awful.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
At Blue you get hit by faster crappy skiers than at Camelback due to at least some pitch! The one time I went it was a weekday. Very scary, just so different from my VT mountain. So many really bad skiers. Even the equipment was awful.

That had to be a night skiing ? Week days/weekends are a Jekyll and Hyde comparison.