• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Blue Mountain Vs. Camelback

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Which is better? Is it true that Blue has more of a “locals” vibe?

From a weekday skiers point ....I avoid both on weekends as they are zoos . Both have their good and bad points. Blue has better sustained pitch, more vert , more bumps but interconnects set up some dangerous intersections. Camelback has less dangerous intersections but can get boring if it's groomed , lower cleo is a fun low pitch bump run . Unfortunately they groom the bumps out after the weekend and I haven't been able to time the good bump conditions . JMO

As far as Local vibe ...Blue is closer to Local . Camelback has a nickname "the UN " every language is heard on the slopes which is a challenge for the patrol .

tnt1234

I think Blue is a better mountain. They seed a lot of bumps, so even if it's grossed man made, you have some variety. The trails are better - the main face has some decent pitches and sustained pitch with less run out. The double car area has some character trails.

When the kids were little CB was fun because it's a wide mountain and you could kind of work your way back and forth on all the different chair life. Kind of felt like you could always find a different area. But the front side trails are really only one pitch, then all run out. The lower pod - forget teh name of it - skier's right....isn't bad.

But Blue will give you better skiing, such as it is.

Locals vibe? Yeah, I don't know about that. On the weekends both are so mobbed by 10am it's kind of hard to say there is any kind of vibe other than 'wait in line for everything' vibe.

tnt1234

The bars at the upper lodge at blue are nice. Just crowded. Folks do hang and apres in the parking lots....so that's kind of a local vibe I suppose.

CB...I remember a few years ago, skiing there with my daughter. Buying a waffle for the ride home. Two guys speaking russian and pulling off whisky flasks were so drunk waiting for their waffles, they literally fell down. Just flat out fell over. They might have been locals. I didn't ask.

raisingarizona

CB...I remember a few years ago, skiing there with my daughter. Buying a waffle for the ride home. Two guys speaking russian and pulling off whisky flasks were so drunk waiting for their waffles, they literally fell down. Just flat out fell over. They might have been locals. I didn't ask.

Oh man, that sounds like some sweet af #vibes.

trackbiker

Elk is better than both of them and not as crowded on the weekends. (Except the lodge is too small and tends to be crowded)

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Elk is better than both of them and not as crowded on the weekends. (Except the lodge is too small and tends to be crowded)

Amen brother! Its 2 hours one way for me vs 1 for Blue or CB. In the last 2 years I’ve driven past CB on the way to Elk and looking at crappy conditions and in freezing rain only to arrive to a powder days . They got 30” of lake effect last December , I’ll ski there on a weekend anytime.
The “ No woods” policy sucks but take what you get I guess.

danimals

Blue is way better. And camelback has way worse intersections. I’ve seen camelback close due to it snowing before. I was a pass holder at camelback, and the nail in the coffin was when the closed due to incline to weather (sunny with no wind) despite website saying they were open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Blue is way better. And camelback has way worse intersections. I’ve seen camelback close due to it snowing before. I was a pass holder at camelback, and the nail in the coffin was when the closed due to incline to weather (sunny with no wind) despite website saying they were open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My biggest Beef with Blue is the lower part of the mountain was added for PR ONLY ! " Biggest vert in Pa. " by what a few feet !#$$%
How stupid is it to dump all the trails into one spot 200yds uphill from the lift? Any weekend look at the web cam and you'll see people barely able to ski next to young kids who could care less at full speed .

Another really bad area is Lower main St , Sidewinder and Shuttle intersection . People cut over from lower with lots of speed only to be met by Sidewinder coming right down almost head on .

Camelback for all it's interconnects do not have the pitch ....speed,collision potential that blue has . Maybe slow speed collision ?

Elk has all it's trails empty near the lift with little mingling of abilities .

Rant over . Maybe there trials could have been laid out better ?

https://www.skibluemt.com/winter-sports/skiing-snowboarding/trail-map/

tnt1234

Yeah, but I can get to blue in 1hr 45, CB about the same - maybe 2hr. Elk is 3. For that drive I can be to Belleayre or Hunter.

I do like Elk, but the catskills mountains are much better.

BenedictGomez

Yeah, but I can get to blue in 1hr 45, CB about the same - maybe 2hr. Elk is 3. For that drive I can be to Belleayre or Hunter.

I do like Elk, but the catskills mountains are much better.

Same. The trip to Elk for me is about 15 minutes farther than Plattekill, and Plattekill >>> Elk.

John9

Camelback is 1 hour away for me, is my weekday go to. On weekdays it's empty.weekends or holiday periods, mad house. Many people here like bumps and ungroomed tree skiing, camelback is not that. If you like carving or high speed cruising, you can enjoy CB. I have heard many good things about Blue.Don't think it's a big difference.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Vermont/New Hampshire/Maine ski mountain discussion points- terrain steepness, natural snow amounts, tree skiing, moguls

CT/Mass/Catskills discussion points- snowmaking, terrain variety, daytrip-able-ness

Poconos ski discussions- how likely you are to get hit by someone, whether or not the mountain is open, how many drunks are on the hill

IceEidolon

How stupid is it to dump all the trails into one spot 200yds uphill from the lift? Any weekend look at the web cam and you'll see people barely able to ski next to young kids who could care less at full speed.
I think it would help a ton if Finish Line/Ski School Carpet Run was open as part of Paradise, not closed off with a giant snow pile at the top. That way people only merge onto lower Razors/Home Stretch from one side and the beginners stay in one stream down to the corral. How often are those top carpets used, anyway?

Sent from my Life Max using Tapatalk

BenedictGomez

Poconos ski discussions- how likely you are to get hit by someone, whether or not the mountain is open, how many drunks are on the hill

The next time someone asks me how come I live 1 hour or less to all the Pocono mountains, yet can go 2 or 3 years in a row without skiing a single day in the Poconos, I'm going to copy/paste the above post. I'd add, "is it currently an ice rink", but other than that it's perfect.