Future Lift Installations - Page 4

AlpineZone

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    I think ski area marketers used to really like the idea of ttb lifts but i think it’s been proven to be an unnecessary expense. Places like killington, SL and Gore all removed theirs for a good reason.

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    My thoughts are more linked to the skiing experience. The mountain is sort of flat on the lower half and steep on the upper half so why do a ttb lift? I don’t see the value in it. I don’t need to ski 800 verts of beginner trail every run, that just gets annoying.
    Totally agree with this.

As much as I like the gondi at Belleayre I don't ride it much because of the beginner runout at the bottom.

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    Height of mountain doesn't always matter. Look at My Washington. It's only 6k feet and one of the windiest mountains on Earth.AlpineZone mobile app
    Is that what you call it?
    2018-2019 2 days and counting...
    Mount Snow: 10/27
    Killington: 11/16
    "Skiing is the closest you'll get to flying without leaving the ground." -snowmonster

Quote Originally Posted by raisingarizona View Post
    My thoughts are more linked to the skiing experience. The mountain is sort of flat on the lower half and steep on the upper half so why do a ttb lift? I don’t see the value in it. I don’t need to ski 800 verts of beginner trail every run, that just gets annoying.
    I definitely agree with you on the run out part. It would probably be a lift that gets used by most people one time in the morning and once after lunch just to get to the top in one quick shot to access wherever you want to get to on the mountain.

If they wanted another lift to hit the summit other than Timberline and the discussed surface lift, a chairlift going up Gondi-line starting at the Peavy X-cut probably makes more sense.

I'm only bringing up the wind conditions because it's the reality of that mountain. The summit is nastier than anywhere else in the East by good margin.

To me, Lift priorities I see over a ttb or upper mountain lift up Gondi-line would be.

1. Double Runner realignment and upgrade
    2. Superquad to Super Six. The lift is getting old and the lines on it atrocious. More capacity is needed
    3. Bucksaw lift
    4. Surface lift from lower Bracket Basin to the base of King Pine
    5. Timberline realignment and upgrade
    6. Summit Surface lift

I'd want to see any one of these upgrades accomplished prior to a TTB lift.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by ss20 View Post
    Is that what you call it?
    It's what I call autocorrect

SL has also made noises about a KP replacement starting further down on the same alignment, to pick up Brackett Basin traffic. I'm definitely a minority in this, but I'd love to see a surface lift up Burnt Mountain from there. The existing Brackett glades (Birler, Edger, Sweeper) would be unaffected as you'd still have to hike that little ridgeline.
    This is the current iteration of my Sugarloaf Master Plan, which I fully expect to be presented in its entirety at the next shareholders' meeting. <-- that's a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by ceo View Post
    SL has also made noises about a KP replacement starting further down on the same alignment, to pick up Brackett Basin traffic. I'm definitely a minority in this, but I'd love to see a surface lift up Burnt Mountain from there. The existing Brackett glades (Birler, Edger, Sweeper) would be unaffected as you'd still have to hike that little ridgeline.
    This is the current iteration of my Sugarloaf Master Plan, which I fully expect to be presented in its entirety at the next shareholders' meeting. <-- that's a joke.
    If they can cut to lookers right of Timberline, I agree with you, that would an awesome pod to add.

I'd love Burnt to stay as is, but I don't think that is in Sugarloaf's best interests. I am not sure what makes more financial sense though - the cat skiing or surface lift.

The problem with KP extending down to pick up Brackett traffic is that it becomes a big runout for the actual trail pod. The best thing about SL's upper mountain lifts is the fact that there is absolutely no runout.

I'd rather see a short self service surface lift to get you up to KP. Something like Winter Park does with the Lariat by the Zephyr express to get folks up to the on mountain restaurant.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to see an extension of KP. It's perfect the way it is.

That's why I had suggested a simple surface lift from lower Bracket back to KP. Or even a double chair. Right now you have to cut back too earlier to get to the lift. It makes for short vertical out there. My thought is you try and maintain some effort requirement on the traverse out, but provide an experience that you can ski those glades further down the fall line and have a reasonable way to get out of there. I've only explored far out and down low at Bracket once and it was a complete pain in the ass to cut over and through the Whiffletree area condos.

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    Yeah, I wouldn't want to see an extension of KP. It's perfect the way it is.

That's why I had suggested a simple surface lift from lower Bracket back to KP. Or even a double chair. Right now you have to cut back too earlier to get to the lift. It makes for short vertical out there. My thought is you try and maintain some effort requirement on the traverse out, but provide an experience that you can ski those glades further down the fall line and have a reasonable way to get out of there. I've only explored far out and down low at Bracket once and it was a complete pain in the ass to cut over and through the Whiffletree area condos.

Just remember, any surface lift will cut a do not cross line along its path. Thus I'd rather see a low capacity double or nothing go onto Burnt and while I hate the flat runout below KP, I'd prefer no lower lift or extension there as well.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by machski View Post
    Just remember, any surface lift will cut a do not cross line along its path. Thus I'd rather see a low capacity double or nothing go onto Burnt and while I hate the flat runout below KP, I'd prefer no lower lift or extension there as well.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app
    If you run it from the upper log yard parallel to the stub's trail it wouldn't cut off anything as I believe there is a stream and a ridge there that you can't get up anyway and you can still get to Lower stub's if you really wanted to.
    Last edited by Smellytele; Oct 15, 2018 at 12:47 PM.
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days

Thread Information