This is What a $52 Million Lift Looks Like - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by drjeff View Post
    They're taking a chance that the bells and whistles will create some buzz, and given that it's Zermatt which is a year round destination and by no means will everyone riding that amazing new lift be doing so with the intent purpose of skiing/boarding down verses taking the gondola down, and that hopefully that buzz will be a way to help drive some new revenue.

Will it generate enough to cover the cost of the lift over it's projected lifespan? Probably not.
    Not sure if I agree with that. For example, when you take the Gornergrat Bahn up to the top, you have to pay an additional fee to take the train back down. If you decide you want to hike down in the off season, but the resort doesn't think its safe to hike from the top, then you're forced to pay the extra cost down to a safer station, located below the snow line. So I would guess that you will pay a fee to take this new gondola to the top, and pay an additional fee to be brought down. The train is something like 50 francs up and 50 all the way back, so I could only imagine what a brandy new crystal gondi with magic flooring is going to cost. Switzerland isn't shy about overcharging for anything.
    Sugarbush skier since 1985.........Think Snow!

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter...
    Quote Originally Posted by ThinkSnow View Post
    Not sure if I agree with that. For example, when you take the Gornergrat Bahn up to the top, you have to pay an additional fee to take the train back down. If you decide you want to hike down in the off season, but the resort doesn't think its safe to hike from the top, then you're forced to pay the extra cost down to a safer station, located below the snow line. So I would guess that you will pay a fee to take this new gondola to the top, and pay an additional fee to be brought down. The train is something like 50 francs up and 50 all the way back, so I could only imagine what a brandy new crystal gondi with magic flooring is going to cost. Switzerland isn't shy about overcharging for anything.
    When a bottle of Coke is 8$...YEAH!

Or a McDonalds Value meal is about $15.....
    Sugarbush skier since 1985.........Think Snow!

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkSnow View Post
    So I looked at the pricing and yeah they do charge a one-way and a return fee. Probably because this operates like a railroad as opposed to a chairlift.
    Last edited by thetrailboss; Oct 9, 2018 at 2:11 PM.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

I wonder how much of the cost of this lift was subsidized by the government. Isn't that practice fairly common place in Europe?

They've got all sorts of crazy expensive Funiculars and Trams over there that you just don't see in North America.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    I wonder how much of the cost of this lift was subsidized by the government. Isn't that practice fairly common place in Europe?

They've got all sorts of crazy expensive Funiculars and Trams over there that you just don't see in North America.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app
    This. Over there they treat infrastructure such as this to be public transportation projects. I am pretty sure that Zermatt (the ski area) is a public entity that is operated for the benefit of the communities. For example, the ski area has very limited, if any, lodging. Instead, folks book at an independently run and owned hotel/lodge/hostel/etc. The ski area is the "industry" that draws in visitors and $$$ to the town and the townspeople. It's completely different from here where a resort is generally a private undertaking with the focus on turning a profit for the owners. There the focus is to create an engine for the local community.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

I don't care. I don't even know what Swarovski® crystal beads are. They just sound magical. And I want them on all my lifts. Esp. T-bars.

-Love and Sunshine

www.irsmedic.com

Thread Information