• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow Opening Day Snowmaking Thread

Jully

Pre-stairs as well. Glad they came to their senses (and put Mike in charge) and also good to see Mt. Snow still pushing even if it doesn't mean first to open. If they get Canyon/Cascade/Free Fall open next week sometime no one else will come close for potentially weeks unless we really stay cold in November.

I fully expect to give Mt Snow a try if they open next weekend with a north face trail.

Newpylong

Especially taking into account that at some point K will switch over to more focus on Superstar AND still need to finish many projects. Right now one of their new tunnels is creating a problem with them getting TTB easily coming out of the NRT area.

The majority of the people skiing North Ridge this early can negotiate Lower East Fall if they really wanted to be T2B. You also can hang an experts only sign at the bottom of K-1 unless people want to download. If they want to be T2B and have the air capacity to do it the tunnel will not stop it.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
The majority of the people skiing North Ridge this early can negotiate Lower East Fall if they really wanted to be T2B. You also can hang an experts only sign at the bottom of K-1 unless people want to download. If they want to be T2B and have the air capacity to do it the tunnel will not stop it.

I'd rather see Highline get open. The "headwall" of Upper East Fall is a total shitshow on normal days. I couldn't image what it would be like after flattening wet snowmaking piles on it then sending all TTB traffic down that trail, especially without the easier loop open.

Newpylong

Highline is considerably longer and steeper for the masses to negotiate. East Fall also gives them the Canyon Quad, but I agree, it's a shitshow at the entrance.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Someone on instagram who seems to have Peaks insider knowledge posted this-

https://www.instagram.com/p/BpFwWdQF6_E/?taken-at=213876578
stageawesome 141 guns. 4,800 gpm. 7500 cfm. Just a casual early season plan @mountsnow @skipeakresorts

The attached picture was a computer screen showing which guns are lit up. Freefall, River Run, Canyon, and Cascade.

4.8k of water isn't much for them...I'd think they'd try to light up Long John as well.

cdskier

That looks like a straight screen grab from the system monitor... Hope no one gets in much trouble for sharing :/

Sent from my Pixel using AlpineZone mobile app

He's a project manager for Peaks and has posted those same type of photos last year. If someone didn't like him doing it, I would think they would have said something long ago.

drjeff

99.999% sure that B won't get in any trouble from posting that screen shot.

The work he's done all across Peak resorts in the snowmaking system development and data research into the performance of their systems has had profound effects on how Peak designs, builds and equips their systems and make snow

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

sull1102

After posting I went and looked at the rest of the pics and realized who it was, pretty great guy whose down a ton of work for them over the years. Awesome to see the mountain still blowing snow 24 hours later!

Zand

I fully expect to give Mt Snow a try if they open next weekend with a north face trail.

Same here. I won't even bother wasting an Ikon day at Killington just for Rime/Reason. If I go to Snow it would probably be the only day ticket I buy all year but ungroomed Freefall on day 1 would be totally worth it, especially in October.

drjeff

Was nice to see a picture of the fan guns on the bottom half of Canyon all lit up while I was on the treadmill about 5:50 this morning during the weather segment on the Hartford based NBC affiliate. While the meteorologist this morning, Bob Maxon, chose the picture, all of their on air team are ski fans for sure!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

Glenn

Was hoping to see some snow this morning, but looks like the top two webcams are iced over.

antman12

Pretty interesting to see them blowing on Free Fall and River Run. Do they usually blow snow on the North Face to spread out any crowds for early season riding?

drjeff

Pretty interesting to see them blowing on Free Fall and River Run. Do they usually blow snow on the North Face to spread out any crowds for early season riding?

Freefall, or atleast 1 expert Northface trail, and River Run have always been in their early season roll out plans. What has changed recently with their snowmaking upgrades is that they now have the capacity to simultaneously make snow on those Northface routes while their also making snow on the traditional mainface routes during the push for opening. Certainly a plus of having a much greater capacity snowmaking system than they've had in the past!

sull1102

I find myself wondering if they will announce something today with the Peak Pass deadline coming up at midnight. Seems like missing a golden opportunity to brag a bit and maybe get a few more people in the door.

Sent from my Pixel using AlpineZone mobile app

drjeff

they sure are putting a lot of snow on their golf course.

That's the par 28 2nd hole. It's about 3000 yards long with a drop of about 1600 feet from the "tee" way in the distance at the top down to the "green" just off the left edge of the picture ;)