• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow Opening Day Snowmaking Thread

sull1102

Instead of completely hijacking the Killington thread figured it'd be best to start a new one. Mount Snow has been blowing TTB on Cascade-Canyon for about 12 hours now(9AM) with what looks like pretty good production up top especially. Temps could maybe possibly hopefully stay within range all day today and tonight to give them a good long window here in the middle of October. Peak Pass prices go up in 2 days, if they can get some kind of early opening even like a day or two the marketing teams would be thrilled I bet.

Sent from my Pixel using AlpineZone mobile app

FBGM

Even if they open top to bottom their early season product is marginal at best. Killington will be wall to wall on their open trails with deep base. I’ll take good product on half a mountain then a half ass product top to bottom.

GregoryIsaacs

Haha yeah but it's not too to bottom and you have to walk up stairs to get there! No thanks. Mount snow, if open will have a better setup. Sorry FBGM but the torch has been passed.

FBGM

I’m not arguing the face that they will probably open. I’m just saying it will be a crap product. Those fans are to spread out to have good coverage in a quick time. Killington has a gun every 20’. Wall to wall. Thick. With some exercise at beginning and end of the day. You new balance spyder wearing dads should be all about that. That free fall trail is a better bet for mount blow to cover correctly in short time.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Let's be real FBGM. Mt. Snow could open on Saturday with 100% of their terrain open and a foot of fresh snow and you still wouldn't be skiing there and would continue be critical of anyone else who was skiing there.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

sull1102

Let's be real FBGM. Mt. Snow could open on Saturday with 100% of their terrain open and a foot of fresh snow and you still wouldn't be skiing there and would continue be critical of anyone else who was skiing there.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Lmao nice! As a mod why do you let this dink just ruin any thread related to Peak? Can't we just cut him loose now? Clearly he's some low level employee that got fired for doing something stupid and holds a grudge.

And btw... last I checked(since I was there the last three opening days) Sneaux is wall to wall and then some plus multiple TTB routes available. Killy is one 800 vert trail with stairs..... it really isn't even close.

sull1102

First Snow Report of 18/19 is UPPPPPP!!!! Saying they won't open this weekend, sucks. However, they are blowing Freefall, River Run, Cascade, Canyon with 133 guns! They must be making a push for something very soon here, the lack of Long John and Deer Run backs that up as well. Could we see a Monday/Tuesday opening to keep the crowds away for a little bit?

drjeff

First Snow Report of 18/19 is UPPPPPP!!!! Saying they won't open this weekend, sucks. However, they are blowing Freefall, River Run, Cascade, Canyon with 133 guns! They must be making a push for something very soon here, the lack of Long John and Deer Run backs that up as well. Could we see a Monday/Tuesday opening to keep the crowds away for a little bit?
Lack of Long John might also have something to do with wanting to keep folks away from the active construction site that is the new Carinthia Lodge area for another couple of weeks should an opening day happen. My guess is right now is still 3 weeks or so ahead of when they had a tentative opening day target penciled in

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using AlpineZone mobile app

icecoast1

The weather for snowmaking is pretty marginal at best. Killington has an advantage of being further up north where it's a little colder, running older guns that work better in warmer temps and they're also better set up to download people. I seriously doubt Mt Snow is waiting to open for any other reason than the weather is not going to allow them to make enough snow. I'm sure the last thing they want to see is other resorts opening before them especially with that new state of the art snowmaking system they have

skiur

The weather for snowmaking is pretty marginal at best. Killington has an advantage of being further up north where it's a little colder, running older guns that work better in warmer temps and they're also better set up to download people. I seriously doubt Mt Snow is waiting to open for any other reason than the weather is not going to allow them to make enough snow. I'm sure the last thing they want to see is other resorts opening before them especially with that new state of the art snowmaking system they have

Killingtons biggest advantage isnt being further north, its the elevation.

sull1102

Still going pretty much TTB (the polecat in the base is down, but they are running down Canyon to the Bluebird Barn) as of 1PM making it a solid 16 hours of production.

slatham

Mt Snow has plenty of opportunity prior to next weekend to make snow and get a lot open.

This window closes tomorrow morning.

Cold is back Sunday morning up high, by sunset down low, until Monday afternoon base and probably through Tuesday mid-day up high.

Then again Wednesday morning up top, Wednesday overnight at base, until Friday.

Models can be wrong but there's too much cold air in the pattern (and firepower on the mountain) so Saturday 27th is a lock, and probably beforehand. IF THEY WANT IT. Multiple faces, all abilities, handful of lifts, TTB.

Glenn

Good deal! It's been awhile since I've been to an opening day there. They have been consistent in year's past with good edge to edge coverage and top to bottom runs. I'm sure the extra snow making capacity will only help things.

Zand

Fondly remember an AZ day at Mt Snow on opening weekend about 10 years ago. Ungroomed chute was fantastic...lapped it for 6+ hours. Killington wasn't even open yet.

skiur

Fondly remember an AZ day at Mt Snow on opening weekend about 10 years ago. Ungroomed chute was fantastic...lapped it for 6+ hours. Killington wasn't even open yet.

That was the nyburg era when powda first took over K......glad those days are behind us!!

WJenness

That was the nyburg era when powda first took over K......glad those days are behind us!!

Yep. The "we're not going to run Skyeship Stg 1 2/3 days a week, we're opening late and closing early, and you'll like it" era.

Dark days.

Zand

Pre-stairs as well. Glad they came to their senses (and put Mike in charge) and also good to see Mt. Snow still pushing even if it doesn't mean first to open. If they get Canyon/Cascade/Free Fall open next week sometime no one else will come close for potentially weeks unless we really stay cold in November.

sull1102

Pre-stairs as well. Glad they came to their senses (and put Mike in charge) and also good to see Mt. Snow still pushing even if it doesn't mean first to open. If they get Canyon/Cascade/Free Fall open next week sometime no one else will come close for potentially weeks unless we really stay cold in November.

Especially taking into account that at some point K will switch over to more focus on Superstar AND still need to finish many projects. Right now one of their new tunnels is creating a problem with them getting TTB easily coming out of the NRT area.