• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Mount Snow Opening Day Snowmaking Thread

machski

Mount snow just posted this photo on FB. I cannot wait to get there opening day! I am guessing no later than next Friday.

View attachment 24085

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
Not bad, but look close down low. Still a ton of grass all the way across the trail showing up. Going to need a bit longer to cover up the lower trail portions I'd say.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

FBGM

Lmao nice! As a mod why do you let this dink just ruin any thread related to Peak? Can't we just cut him loose now? Clearly he's some low level employee that got fired for doing something stupid and holds a grudge.

And btw... last I checked(since I was there the last three opening days) Sneaux is wall to wall and then some plus multiple TTB routes available. Killy is one 800 vert trail with stairs..... it really isn't even close.

Correct. I now clean the crappers at Vail not Peak. Better shit.

sull1102

Not bad, but look close down low. Still a ton of grass all the way across the trail showing up. Going to need a bit longer to cover up the lower trail portions I'd say.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

That was shot yesterday morning so they had a lot more time to get some goods down before shutting down the system around sunrise this morning.

icecoast1

That was shot yesterday morning so they had a lot more time to get some goods down before shutting down the system around sunrise this morning.

From the looks of the live webcam there isnt much on Freefall, not nearly enough to ski natural or groom out. Looks like hardly anything down low at the bottom of that lift. They're still a ways away

slatham

From the looks of the live webcam there isnt much on Freefall, not nearly enough to ski natural or groom out. Looks like hardly anything down low at the bottom of that lift. They're still a ways away

Not surprised given warm ground, limited window, margin conditions. They need the cold to deliver over the next 7 days. This weekend looks good with snowmaking temps arriving at the summit tomorrow night and at the base by Sunday morning. Temps hold down low until Monday morning. The on and off all week with what looks to be plenty of time.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I don't know if they'll be able to pull off next weekend. Wednesday night, Thursday night, and Friday night all look OK for snowmaking with temps in the low 20s. But those fans really need temperatures in the teens to lay down snow quick and it doesn't look like they'll get that.

icecoast1

I don't know if they'll be able to pull off next weekend. Wednesday night, Thursday night, and Friday night all look OK for snowmaking with temps in the low 20s. But those fans really need temperatures in the teens to lay down snow quick and it doesn't look like they'll get that.

Looks like the potential of rain Tuesday as well. And the long range beyond next weekend looks even worse. Obviously that far out is just a guess but if it holds they could end up opening, having to close and then basically start over again

slatham

Based on temps at 2,500' and the latest Euro they will have a stretch from Wednesday evening until Saturday mid-day. If anything the GFS is quicker, and colder. Temps definitely in the teens at night, except maybe the base only gets down to low 20's. Rain Tuesday is a non event. Beyond that is in question, with several potential storms but we have everything from missing out to sea, hitting and raining, hitting and net gainer, hitting and dumping.Normal crap shot this far out......

That said, models had base temps colder than they are right now. 33 at base, 24 at summit as of 10:45. They probably won't get temps at base until later this afternoon.

Last edited:

Zand

Would they be willing to open with the old Cascade/River Run combo (and maybe Free Fall) with up/downloading on the Canyon Quad if they aren't able to get the base up to snuff?

drjeff

Would they be willing to open with the old Cascade/River Run combo (and maybe Free Fall) with up/downloading on the Canyon Quad if they aren't able to get the base up to snuff?

Only as a true last resort is my guess. They haven't done that set up in over a decade, and since Peak bought them, the roll out has always been top to bottom. Given that it's still mid October, mu hunch is that for some reason they can't get open by next weekend (and my hunch is that that won't be the case), that they'll just wait for another window(s) of snowmaking and the more typical early/mid November opening

sull1102

Well now we got a very decent looking base area. With this rain that is coming in tomorrow around midday and sticking around for a while one can only wonder if they aren't going to have a chance to use all this snow they have made. Rumor on Insta suggests a Friday open, but man oh man would Wednesday or Thursday be nice. I gotta say though the way PR has handled this isn't exactly great. They've been saying "soon" since Thursday morning and now it seems like he's just toying with people despite the fact that people want to spend money on passes etc.Screenshot_20181022-094411.jpgScreenshot_20181022-094423.jpg

Sent from my Pixel using AlpineZone mobile app

Newpylong

Take it from someone who's been in Ops, they aren't toying with anyone. There is no crystal ball or magic potion with this stuff. They need to take a hard look at the weather outlook and make a decision on whether it's doable and when. Remember, this is fairly early for them to even be considering opening. That leads to manpower questions, etc. It's not easy.

slatham

Take it from someone who's been in Ops, they aren't toying with anyone. There is no crystal ball or magic potion with this stuff. They need to take a hard look at the weather outlook and make a decision on whether it's doable and when. Remember, this is fairly early for them to even be considering opening. That leads to manpower questions, etc. It's not easy.

I agree - see how this weekend went, and see what the models are saying about the Wed-Saturday snowmaking window (not to mention the pending weekend storm). Its also only Monday, and I doubt they would open before Friday, so plenty of advance notice. Plus most/all of the early season customers are paying attention to what's going on anyhow.....

sull1102

Also been in Ops myself so I understand the need for flexibility, but nowadays it seems most mountains are a little more transparent with things. I think it boils down to if they hadn't said "soon" on Thursday morning and then turned that into kind of a joke on social media no fuss at all. It's when you put that "soon" time table up and then just leave people in the wind wondering that is frustrating as a passholder.

sull1102

27th it is. Weather looks just about horrible for opening day. What a mistake. Why you wouldn't open Thursday or Friday I will never know. It has to be related to staffing and just not being prepared.