• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Advice: 2018 Volkl RTM 78

electricfire

Anyone here owns a pair or tried them out? I'm looking for new skis, so would like to know what they are like. I'm an upper intermediate/advanced skier, looking for front side, easy going, relatively light skis that can handle East Coast icy conditions.

slatham

I have owned a couple versions of the RTM 84, including the current model, and love them. I tested the 78 - if you are focused on Eastern hard packed, I think they are a great ski. If you want a more all around ski, including some capability in powder/crud/softer snow, I love the 84. It is my primary ski - I ski it exclusively unless there's 6"+ when I switch to a powder ski.

I am a true believer in demo'ing before buying, so if you have the opportunity I would demo. Even if you can't demo the exact model, demo'ing skis in the same category will give you a feel for what you like and don't like in a ski.

WWF-VT

This years model is the Volkl RTM 79. My guess is that you can get a good deal on last year's RTM 78.

I have an earlier generation of the RTM 81 and it's an awesome East Coast, front side ski. The RTM 78/79 is rated as a bit more forgiving than the RTM 81 and might be closer to what you are looking for in an "easy going" option.

Killingtime

I have three year old RTM 84s and still love them. They do everything well. Bumps, groomers, trees. Don’t think you can go wrong.

mister moose

FWIW, the RTM 81 is what I've seen most often in demo racks. Some are in rental stock. As you go up the RTM line, not only does the ski get wider, but they add a little more performance in each step up. As opposed to Head Supershapes, where the performance is the same and the turn shape and tip rocker changes in each width, but all are advanced skis.

JDMRoma

Anyone here owns a pair or tried them out? I'm looking for new skis, so would like to know what they are like. I'm an upper intermediate/advanced skier, looking for front side, easy going, relatively light skis that can handle East Coast icy conditions.

What everyone is saying is true, great front side ski but it aint light ! Demo'd the RTM 84 Back to Back against the Head Supershape I ralleys
the Heads make the RTMs feel HEAVY ! Like a tank ! but they do hold on ice extremely well.

Do yourself a favor and Demo the Head I Ralley or the I Titans.......Much more responsive ski

electricfire

Thanks for all the replies! Very helpful!

Can you guys recommend the best way to demo skis? I'm in Philadelphia area, so usually ski Blue mountain. Any demo days coming up early in the season?

WJenness

Thanks for all the replies! Very helpful!

Can you guys recommend the best way to demo skis? I'm in Philadelphia area, so usually ski Blue mountain. Any demo days coming up early in the season?

If there is a shop you like near Blue, give them a call and tell them what you're interested in, they can probably set you up for a demo once the hill opens up.

asnowmobiler

Blue Mt has demo skis in their ski shop at the base lodge. It cost $55? a day to try 3 different skis, they do not or did not have Volkl's but they do have the Super Shapes, the fee comes off the cost if you buy them.
They have a sale next weekend were they sell all the demos and last years stock for very low prices. I bought a pair of like new iSpeeds at last years sale for under $400 it may have even been $300 but I don't remember??

electricfire

Thank you for the suggestions! I had no idea Blue Mountain does demos. I think I'll pursue that route first. Thanks again, everyone!