Best freeski poles?

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best freeski poles?

Hey everyone, I had just picked up a pair of the 2019 K2 Poachers and I am extremely excited to use them. However, I am stuck on which poles I should look into getting to help complement my skis. If I can, I would love to stay loyal to the K2 brand. I was looking into the K2 Flipjaw and Freeride 18 poles. Any other ideas? Any feedback is appreciated!

Why do you want to stay loyal to K2?

Get the poles that best complement the color of your jacket

Best freeski poles?

The ones I find at the ski swap for 5 bucks
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days 2018/19 - 75 days

I found my poles hiking the mountain in the spring time.
    I think they might have been rental poles at one point, so maybe "stolen from rental shop" is my actual answer.

I have a good set of collapsable poles I use for touring, but I don't use them on the lift because I don't want to break a 100$ pair of poles.

Quote Originally Posted by ironhippy View Post
    I have a good set of collapsable poles I use for touring, but I don't use them on the lift because I don't want to break a 100$ pair of poles.
    Why does riding the lift equate to breaking poles?
    Sugarbush skier since 1985.........Think Snow!

Because he sucks at riding lifts.....

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkSnow View Post
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Scott-Sun-V...-/232978526608

Old guys like to hang the old breakaway grips on the safety bar . Only problem is mid stations are low enough to snag the tips .

I still use my 1970's grips just move them to new poles . I know 2 other people who do too . I never felt comfortable sticking my hand through a strap . Scott had perfect design I wish they would bring them back
    "Make Greenland Green again"

Quote Originally Posted by sstahlbush View Post
    Hey everyone, I had just picked up a pair of the 2019 K2 Poachers and I am extremely excited to use them. However, I am stuck on which poles I should look into getting to help complement my skis. If I can, I would love to stay loyal to the K2 brand. I was looking into the K2 Flipjaw and Freeride 18 poles. Any other ideas? Any feedback is appreciated!

those flipjaw poles look sweet. i like the grip. i'd go with those. What do you do with your poles while on the lift? hold em? hang em? sit on em? i sit on mine
    shit happens, wear a helmet.

2018/19
    Breck - 12/2 12/22 12/23 1/5 1/6 2/9 3/10
    Taos - 1/26
    Keystone - 2/24
    Crested Butte - 3/25 3/26 3/27

Quote Originally Posted by ThinkSnow View Post
    Well as pointed out, I suck at riding lifts.

But more importantly, my local hill has an old chair lift. When you are loading this chairlift, it sometimes stops because of offloading problems at the top (apparently everyone at my local hill sucks at riding lifts).
    When the chair stops, it rolls back 3 - 5 feet.
    This might not seem like a big deal, but when you are loading the lift you are within 3 - 5 feet of the chair in front of you.
    If it stops, you need to move back QUICKLY in order to not get hit by the chair in front of you.
    Quite often in this scenario, you plant your poles and push backwards. This gets your body out of the way of the lift, but leaves your poles to be run over by the chair.

This is the most common scenario that people break poles at my local hill. They can also get stuck in the ground when the chair is leaving because the ground is uneven and the chair moves quickly.
    I'm not sure if I have broken any poles personally, but I don't use my good touring poles for that reason.

I do hate riding the lift though, it takes too long and all you do is sit there. I'd much rather hike up the hill on my own, but that limits the number of downhill runs I can get in so I use the lift when conditions are good.

Thread Information