Best freeski poles? - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    sounds safe. glad it stops after 5'!!!

I dont think a lift that rolled back 3-5 feet each time it stopped would be aloud to operate in the USA, it sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen.....I guess laws are different in Canada.

Quote Originally Posted by Smellytele View Post
    Best freeski poles?

The ones I find at the ski swap for 5 bucks
    Luxury! I got my Reflex powder poles from the dump for free.
    he went so far off axis he was in fact on axis...the progression had become regression

Quote Originally Posted by makimono View Post
    Luxury! I got my Reflex powder poles from the dump for free.
    lol, you reminded me of my daughter's first poles. we'd skied the day at mount snow and my daughter was still skiing without poles. she'd been complaining that she was getting better and needed poles but i was ignoring her. End of day we were returning to the car at the Carinthia lodge and as we walked out there was a set of adult poles in the garbage can, 1 bent fairly high up. grabbed them, cut them down (below the bend) and she was happy as a could be.
    shit happens, wear a helmet.

2017/18
    Breck - 12/22 1/6 1/7 2/3 2/10 2/25 3/3 3/17 3/25
    Keystone - 12/26 3/30
    Beaver Creek - 1/20 3/26
    Vail - 3/27

Quote Originally Posted by skiur View Post
    I dont think a lift that rolled back 3-5 feet each time it stopped would be aloud to operate in the USA, it sounds like a lawsuit waiting to happen.....I guess laws are different in Canada.
    I'm not sure there is a lot of oversight. I wouldn't say it's Canada wide, more New Brunswick (my province) wide. We only have 4 ski hills in the whole province and none have high speed chairs (actually one might).

I may be exagerating by 3-5 feet, but it rolls back and the lifties need to be on the ball to try and stop it from hitting people waiting to load.
    Numerous people have been hit, I'm not aware of any serious injuries, however lots of broken poles.

It was installed in the early 80's with only the most basic maintenance since. They did replace the cable in 2016 though.

I'll be the different one here.

I actually value a more expensive pair of carbon fiber ski poles. Many will balk at paying > $100 for poles, but you hold them all day long, for hours, and I like the featherweight feel of the carbon. A few years ago I forgot them and had to borrow a pair of Jay Peak's aluminum rental poles from the ski shop, and it felt like I was swinging baseball bats because I'm so used to the effortless, featherweight swing of carbon.

As for pole brand, I'm a Leki loyalist as I received some of the best customer service of my entire life from them a few years back. Plus, I hate pole straps, so I like Leki's strapless design.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

I ski with many people that don't use poles and they RIP!!!
    I like the feel without poles but need them to push my fat ass around in flats/lift lines.
    Tried many different poles and don't find any difference between dump poles or carbon.

Quote Originally Posted by skifree View Post
    I ski with many people that don't use poles and they RIP!!!
    Yes, but it doesn't mean you should.

Especially if you're doing steeps or moguls.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

If you go down in deep snow poles are very useful for getting back up.

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    Yes, but it doesn't mean you should.

Especially if you're doing steeps or moguls.
    I was skeptical when I first went with them but they rip steeps/trees and whatever.

Thread Information