• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington Stairway - how bad is it?

urungus

Looks like Killington will be able to turn the snow guns on tonight and will probably have more skiable acreage and better conditions than Mt Snow tomorrow. But I am old and out of shape and worried about having to carry my equipment up 200 stairs in my ski boots at the end of day. What has your experience on the stairs been like?

icecoast1

I dont think it's that bad. But I also do it in snowboard boots so it may not be the same....

chuckstah

I'm old and out of shape, and it sucks, but not enough to make me not ski. I actually prefer the Mt Snow terrain vs the 2 trails K is offering assuming Mt Snow opens. They are hedging now on their snow report.

Sent from my moto e5 cruise using Tapatalk

If we can hide a gatorade or beer for the day while we ski, then why not a comfy pair of shoes/boots for the stairs? Every eastern skiing ought to experience the Killington stairs at least once!

machski

It is not constant up, there are some longer stretches with an occasional step here and there. Good catch breath stop where the stairs cross Catwalk, it is open there to the trail (obviously) so you don't block the staircase. Biggest staircase is the climb from the Peak Lodge back to Gondi top station, and you can bypass that up the ADA ramps if you like.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Smellytele

Stairs aren't bad. See old people 60+ doing it all the time. I am 50 and it isn't bad at all. bring a small pack with a pair of shoes and some water(and a beer or 2). It is a 10 minute walk up really isn't bad at all.

raisingarizona

Looks like Killington will be able to turn the snow guns on tonight and will probably have more skiable acreage and better conditions than Mt Snow tomorrow. But I am old and out of shape and worried about having to carry my equipment up 200 stairs in my ski boots at the end of day. What has your experience on the stairs been like?

Stairs? Jesus man, be careful and don’t die.

Dickc

There is a bench or two at the top of the triple chair area. Do you have a boot bag? Bring good hiking boots in your boot bag. Ski down carrying the boot bag down to the bottom of the triple and carry it back up on the chair and leave near the benches. At the end of skiing, change at the top by the lift unload into the hiking boots and climb the stairs in comfy shoes. 240 steps to the gondola load. Its a few less to get to the upper lodge and tip back a few before downloading.

WWF-VT

If you are old and out of shape then doing 200 stairs is a good start for the rest of the season

thebigo

Climbed it twice with a five year old girl last week. She did not complain once.

dlague

Of all the years we have been going for opening weekend at k-town, we never had to walk down the stairs only up. We never thought it was that bad because we were stoked to be out. Our first experience, we were not prepared and ended up doing the stairs twice so we could have lunch. All years after that we packed it.

Stairs not bad going up!

Sent from my SM-G930V using AlpineZone mobile app

skiadikt

late 60's w a total knee replacement last spring - no biggie at all. when you had to hike down, wore my hiking boots and changed into ski boots at the top of the lift. now ski down and walk up in ski boots. if you want lunch, then as others have said, pack a lunch. was stunned at how good the conditions were today given the weather this week.

FBGM

I feel like if you’re not in good enough shape to climb a few stairs then you should evaluate your health and skiing.

skiur

Not a worry anymore, K is now top to bottom, also starting to expand into the canyon as well with lower east fall lit up.