• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Killington Stairway - how bad is it?

JimG.

Staff member
Not a worry anymore, K is now top to bottom, also starting to expand into the canyon as well with lower east fall lit up.

Figured this was imminent looked like Great Northern could have opened Monday and it was certainly poachable. Ski patrol was posted at the Rime/GN intersection to keep poachers out which probably made poaching any other terrain much easier.

machski

Figured this was imminent looked like Great Northern could have opened Monday and it was certainly poachable. Ski patrol was posted at the Rime/GN intersection to keep poachers out which probably made poaching any other terrain much easier.
Both the possible delay to TTB and the heavy poaching catch had to do with the Snowdon Six and Tunnel work. A lot of heavy machinery in ops over there this year and the haul rope went up yesterday, necessitating holding off on the TTB route to keep the area clear.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

tumbler

Just looked at the Superstar camera and they have a couple cats up there pushing while the snowmaking is going. Must be a big sigh of relief that the weather worked out.

JimG.

Staff member
Both the possible delay to TTB and the heavy poaching catch had to do with the Snowdon Six and Tunnel work. A lot of heavy machinery in ops over there this year and the haul rope went up yesterday, necessitating holding off on the TTB route to keep the area clear.

Good point forgot about the ongoing construction.

I definitely saw several GN poachers but frankly a lot of the other natural terrain looked more interesting. Even Ovation looked poachable.

cdskier

Just looked at the Superstar camera and they have a couple cats up there pushing while the snowmaking is going. Must be a big sigh of relief that the weather worked out.

And now they got the official green light from FIS today.

machski

Good point forgot about the ongoing construction.

I definitely saw several GN poachers but frankly a lot of the other natural terrain looked more interesting. Even Ovation looked poachable.
Maybe middle, lower Ovation in no way has enough snow. At best you'd destroy a pair of skis or snowboard on that right now.

skiur

Snodon triple spins tomorrow, guns going on highline, LEF, and they say turning guns on Cascade tomorrow....pretty beastly, superstar is done, guns still going on skyelark

raisingarizona

The stairs at Killington are super sketch having killed 18 people over the years as they lost footing and slid helplessly out of control into snow making pipery far below. This makes the KT-22 at hunter the only other ski area affiliated risk more dangerous since it’s named after the 22 people that have lost their life to its precarious icy pitches. I’d rope up and make sure your crampons are sharp. Use the buddy system and be prepared for the absolute worst. God speed my snow sliding friend.

skiur

The stairs at Killington are super sketch having killed 18 people over the years as they lost footing and slid helplessly out of control into snow making pipery far below. This makes the KT-22 at hunter the only other ski area affiliated risk more dangerous since it’s named after the 22 people that have lost their life to its precarious icy pitches. I’d rope up and make sure your crampons are sharp. Use the buddy system and be prepared for the absolute worst. God speed my snow sliding friend.

Don't forget about the avalanche that took out 7 people hiking up it in 2015, certainly the most dangerous spot at a ski resort on the east coast.

raisingarizona

Just the thought of every form of elemental exposure one encounters on their Killington stairway epic is enough to make one shit their pants. No thanks for this guy. I'll be at the lodge drinking hot toddies with my feet up by the fireplace. That's all the adventure this safe soul cares to endure.

tumbler

Watching the Superstar cam is fun. Currently a small army of people are watering down the slope with groomers working on the upper section. Kinda cool especially when I'm sitting at my desk.

tumbler

Is the trail now in ownership of the FIS? The people watering and grooming, K employees or FIS?

FBGM

Pretty sure they bring in some of their own people to at least assist the K crew. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think they even bring in their own cats to do the finish work.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

They have demo cats - manufactures want logo time.

Killington employees build the run. There usually is someone from FIS or the comp there to tell what needs to be tweaked or done different.

To be honest, superstar is a pretty straight forward trail to build for an event like this. 2 pitches. Good snowmaking. Push it out. Seed it. Seal it.