just finalized my western trips plans - Page 5

AlpineZone

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
Results 41 to 50 of 50
  1. #41
    Whitey's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Suburban sprawl north of Boston
    Posts
    361
    Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    There's no scientific reason for that to work and there's no research suggestive it could or should work. That's always your first warning sign with crap like this. What do the studies say? Wait, what, there are no confirmational studies (or studies at all)? = almost 100% certain scam (e.g. Echinacea = scam, Airborne = scam).

    I've been reading BG's posts for long enough to know better than to get into a debate about science with him. So duly noted. I thought it helped a bit when I was really huffing on the 1st day or two but I guess I stand corrected.

  2. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by mikec142 View Post
    I'm a 48 year old, married, father of two teen girls. Both my girls are in HS and the academics are so fast paced these days that they (and my wife) get anxious about missing school. So I'm kinda boxed into (if I want to go out west as a family) going during Christmas break (no guarantee of good snow) or President's Day weekend. Our spring break is in mid-April. A trip for the four of us could easily be $7-10k. That's not something I take lightly. So to see that people can still get some great skiing in for relatively cheap is refreshing.
    I'm in the same boat for mid-April. A trip for 4 can be done for a heck of a lot less than $7-$10k. Here's what I got so far for Tahoe (3 people).

    Rental SUV - $362 pick up in Oakland drop off in SF. For some reason if you pick up in San Jose or Oakland and drop off in SF the cost is about a 3rd. It is with Fox, but I've used them a few time before and never had a problem.

    Flight out - 3 tickets on Southwest From Newark to Oakland $365 but I actually used 30474 Chase points (got 75000 as a sign up bonus).

    Flight back - 3 tickets on Alaska Air from SF to Newark $408 but used 32688 Chase points

    Lodging - Got free lodging near Squaw but a quick airbnb search shows you can get a condo near Squaw/Alpine for about $1500. I do need one night hotel when we arrive, figure $60 after discounts.

    Ikon Base Pass - 1 adult + 2 kids $900 (hopefully) My plan is to buy a 19/20 pass and hope it's good for the end of this season again. I'm rolling the dice on that one, otherwise I'm a free agent. If it does work out then I'm also set for a 19/20 trip and Killington early/late in 19/20. In your case current prices for a 18/19 pass would cost you $2756 but can maybe still buy with Costco code and get $730 back, or just be a free agent and go with whatever other deals are available. Lots of competition in the area so there is usually something.

    If it all goes perfect my costs will be in the neighborhood of $1500 + the Chase points. But there's a good chance I'll spend some extra money to ski some other Tahoe areas or possibly head to Mammoth for a few days if the pass is good there.

    Anyway, just goes to show with some careful planning and some luck you can get west for not all that much.

  3. #43
    Good post by Jaytrem.
    Mike, other cost savings ideas for families that have to ski at prime school vacation times: ski locally around Christmas time, preferably just before Dec 25 and day-trip to smaller, less popular hills with decent snowmaking. They are good for the family to get their ski legs. Drive to New England during Presidents Weekend/Week, again pick second tier places for lower crowds and prices, like Bolton Valley, Magic Mtn, Bromley, Burke, Cranmore/Wildcat/Black NH, or the Laurentians. Fly to Colorado for mid-April for kid-friendly weather and lodging discounts. Flights might be cheaper then too. Ski high elevation places like A-Basin, Loveland, Copper Mtn for good spring conditions and use liftopia for tickets or Loveland offers a four pack of tickets for $169 that can be used by one person four times or four people once (buy it online by Nov 1.

  4. #44

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Mecox, NY / Bondville, VT
    Posts
    422
    Quote Originally Posted by jimk View Post
    Good post by Jaytrem.
    Mike, other cost savings ideas for families that have to ski at prime school vacation times: ski locally around Christmas time, preferably just before Dec 25 and day-trip to smaller, less popular hills with decent snowmaking. They are good for the family to get their ski legs. Drive to New England during Presidents Weekend/Week, again pick second tier places for lower crowds and prices, like Bolton Valley, Magic Mtn, Bromley, Burke, Cranmore/Wildcat/Black NH, or the Laurentians.
    Fly to Colorado for mid-April for kid-friendly weather and lodging discounts. Flights might be cheaper then too. Ski high elevation places like A-Basin, Loveland, Copper Mtn for good spring conditions and use liftopia for tickets or Loveland offers a four pack of tickets for $169 that can be used by one person four times or four people once (buy it online by Nov 1.
    I was thinking Banff and Lake louise for that late spring break this year. The flights to Calgary and staying in Banff look cheap. I was going to wait and see where the snow was and book late. I think there will be deals to be had since most of the population will be done with skiing by then.

  5. #45
    Banff could be good then. Easy, flat, divided highway from Calgary airport. Dollar still strong. Last March I got a good discount with MCP at Sunshine Village Lodge. Did you see this trip report? http://www.dcski.com/forum/95034&scrollto=95034

  6. #46

    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Mecox, NY / Bondville, VT
    Posts
    422
    Quote Originally Posted by jimk View Post
    Banff could be good then. Easy, flat, divided highway from Calgary airport. Dollar still strong. Last March I got a good discount with MCP at Sunshine Village Lodge. Did you see this trip report? http://www.dcski.com/forum/95034&scrollto=95034
    Nice trip. I was up around kicking horse / Revy this summer doing some mountain biking and I thought the Banff area was unbelievably scenic while driving through. But holy crap it is super busy In the summer.


    How was the Sunshine Village lodge for non skiiers? I thought the kids would have a blast staying up there for 2-3 days but we might be travelling with 1 or 2 non skiiers/snowboarders. I figured there is only so much snowshoeing, mountain gazing someone could do for 3 days.

    I am happy to hear that Norquay was worth a day. I was going to skip it (if its even open).

    All the locals I was mountain biking with said to skip sunshine/LL and just go to Revy. I still want to go to Revy, just maybe when the kids are a bit older

  7. #47
    Without too badly hijacking the thread; of the four mtns I skied near Banff (LL, SSV, Norquay, Revy) I thought LL was the best all around mtn for advanced skiers with good intermediate terrain too. Sunshine was best for intermediates, with some good advanced terrain too. Revy is very interesting, but perhaps a little bit hit or miss. I missed the lower two thirds of the mtn due to poor snow, but the top third was very good for advanced skiers/boarders. Norquay is small, but scenic to the extreme with some good black diamonds. My wife is a nonskier and hung out for two nights/three days at Sunshine Lodge. They permit hikers/snowshoers to ride up the Standish chair for some nice high elevation meadow hikes and terrific scenery. The Lodge has a good outdoor hot tub, indoor gym, good restaurant for dinner, cafe for breakfast/lunch. The adjacent village has a few buildings including a large cafeteria, perhaps a nature center?, a historic tavern.

  8. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by Los View Post
    Unabashed narcissism...
    That was uncalled for... count me as another person who also finds comparing other's ski trip ideas and travelogue inputs helpful. Keep 'em coming Krusty!

  9. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by jimk View Post
    Without too badly hijacking the thread; of the four mtns I skied near Banff (LL, SSV, Norquay, Revy) I thought LL was the best all around mtn for advanced skiers with good intermediate terrain too. Sunshine was best for intermediates, with some good advanced terrain too. Revy is very interesting, but perhaps a little bit hit or miss. I missed the lower two thirds of the mtn due to poor snow, but the top third was very good for advanced skiers/boarders. Norquay is small, but scenic to the extreme with some good black diamonds. My wife is a nonskier and hung out for two nights/three days at Sunshine Lodge. They permit hikers/snowshoers to ride up the Standish chair for some nice high elevation meadow hikes and terrific scenery. The Lodge has a good outdoor hot tub, indoor gym, good restaurant for dinner, cafe for breakfast/lunch. The adjacent village has a few buildings including a large cafeteria, perhaps a nature center?, a historic tavern.
    We skied Banff several years ago and we felt LL front side felt like a standard ski area, but the back side is where the fun is. It really opens up. But Sunshine was fun for us on Goats Eye. Loved that area. There are other sweet spots on Lookout. Norquay was closed due to lack of snow and our other resort was Kicking Horse that was really cool especially the upper bowls. That was our first major trip. It lead us to try Colorado which resulted in a move to Colorado.

    It is fun to hear about others plans since it let's you think about other trips.

    Sent from my SM-G930V using AlpineZone mobile app
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

    2016-2017 target - 50

    If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

  10. #50
    Edd's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Newmarket, NH
    Posts
    4,724
    Quote Originally Posted by dlague View Post
    We skied Banff several years ago and we felt LL front side felt like a standard ski area, but the back side is where the fun is. It really opens up. But Sunshine was fun for us on Goats Eye. Loved that area. There are other sweet spots on Lookout. Norquay was closed due to lack of snow and our other resort was Kicking Horse that was really cool especially the upper bowls. That was our first major trip.



    Sent from my SM-G930V using AlpineZone mobile app
    LL was great on the backside indeed. The general pitch around the mountain was no joke, IMO. There was one green trail that blew my mind with how steep it was. A lot of beginners would fall apart on it.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:39 AM.