• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Advice for a beginner ski

Equinox

Can anyone recommend a good ski for a beginner? I really hate the used skis I got last year. They're old and very stiff, and I always feel out of control. Any advice for a n00b? (I'm skiing on 20 plus year old Elan parabolic skis. Don't know the exact model and right now they're out being sharpened and waxed so I have something to ski on when the snow finally shows up.)

I bought boots last season, and it was the best thing I ever did. They were professionally fit too. Mike Vlass at Wachusett did a wonderful job fitting boots for me, and I absolutely LOVE my boots.

Boots are Dalbello Avanti 85.

I'm 5' 8" and 180 lbs.

I'm a little shy on the slopes. I can get down the green trails at Wachusett, but that's about it. I'm tired of falling down and looking stupid and going home cold and embarrassed. I don't like going very fast, I'm happy to putt along and enjoy the scenery.

I plan on taking out some demo skis. I just need to narrow the list down. So far I'm looking at the K2 Luv and the Vokl Yumi.

I'm usually the athletic type, but I'm a little timid on the slopes for now. I'm looking for a ski that I can learn on that will get me a couple of seasons before I need and want something more aggressive.

Yes, I have taken lessons before and plan to again. Lessons are included in my plan and so is a lot of practice.

IceEidolon

Have you considered a season rental? Most any decent rental ski would get you through the season for less than a new ski, then you can take advantage of demo days and end-of-season sales to find a great price on a ski you like.

Rentals aren't great skis generally but they'll have modern geometry, safe bindings adjusted for you, and they're meant for beginners. Plus at many places season rentals come out of the 'new this season' rental fleet, not the general fleet.

Sent from my Life Max using Tapatalk

Equinox

Have you considered a season rental? Most any decent rental ski would get you through the season for less than a new ski, then you can take advantage of demo days and end-of-season sales to find a great price on a ski you like.

Rentals aren't great skis generally but they'll have modern geometry, safe bindings adjusted for you, and they're meant for beginners. Plus at many places season rentals come out of the 'new this season' rental fleet, not the general fleet.

I have, but i'm not really close to any ski shops other than Wachusett, not to mention that the cost of a season rental is pretty high. I also don't want to be locked into one ski for the season- I want to try a bunch of them and then make my decision for a purchase. Do season rentals normally allow this?

I've already spent a season on the skis I have, and I didn't like them. I really don't want to do the same thing again.

IceEidolon

I'm not particularly familiar with shops near you.
If you want to buy a new ski, there's nothing wrong with that. However, if you wait and demo skis after conditions are good, you're stuck on your old planks until then. Long term rentals are one way around that. Another option is to get a used beginners ski either online or in person - any 6 year old ski will run circles around even first gen parabolic skis from '00, and the bindings are going to be much safer too - and ride that until Demo Days roll around. Or you can buy without a demo ride or demo as soon as the rocks go away. There's no wrong answer, I'm just spouting options. I did learn on skis the same vintage as you're describing, so I know new gear will be a big step up.

Equinox

I'm not particularly familiar with shops near you.
If you want to buy a new ski, there's nothing wrong with that. However, if you wait and demo skis after conditions are good, you're stuck on your old planks until then. Long term rentals are one way around that. Another option is to get a used beginners ski either online or in person - any 6 year old ski will run circles around even first gen parabolic skis from '00, and the bindings are going to be much safer too - and ride that until Demo Days roll around. Or you can buy without a demo ride or demo as soon as the rocks go away. There's no wrong answer, I'm just spouting options. I did learn on skis the same vintage as you're describing, so I know new gear will be a big step up.

Thank you! That is helpful advice. My skis are that old! I've had the Marker bindings on them checked out and I'm told that they're safe- for now. I did leave the "old planks" to get sharpened and waxed until at least Wachusett is open for skiing and I can demo a few new ones.

I did have a young lady in the ski shop tell me today that my old skis will ski much different from the way modern skis do, and based on last year's experience, she's right. She told me that my skis were made for more "jumpy" turns than what the ski school is teaching now. I may go test that theory as soon as snow covers the mountain.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Given the overwhelming majority of people on this forum are advanced skiers you're probably better going into a suburban ski shop near you who's majority of knowledge and inventory will be geared towards beginners and intermediates.

mister moose

Another idea if you act right away is the remaining ski swaps. Check around the Boston area. Okemo is having theirs Nov 16-18
https://www.okemo.com/event/oms-annual-ski-snowboard-swap/

You can likely find ~3 year old intermediate skis for ~$200. There are usually folks at the swap to talk to for advice on what ski to choose. If you don't like it, sell it on Ebay or next year's ski swap.

Many ski swaps occurred in the Columbus Day to Nov 1st time frame.

You could get a few recommendations and buy on Ebay as well.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Used-2015-...4a3067c3:m:mxMD_usvOd6p8OhZNPZQlVA:rk:22:pf:0

That's an intermediate rental ski for $170 available in different lengths, from Kentucky where they don't ski very many days per year.

Or you can check the box on Ebay to just look at skis near Boston (give a mileage range from a zip code) and find skis you can see in person and save on shipping.

Many ways to skin this cat.

mister moose

And here's an interesting deal -

https://www.selltopshop.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=306&products_id=12440

A brand new pair of novice to intermediate level skis and bindings for just $59. How can you go wrong? Left over last year's stock. Boom, no rentals for next season. Seek out advice on which length will best suit you, don't go too long, they will take more skill to turn, don't go too short, as you progress you will want the stability and edge hold of a longer ski.

Seems almost too good to be true department.

Mfr. description:
The Salomon XDR 78 ST is a great ski for the athletic beginner up to solid intermediate skier looking for a lightweight and easy to control ski. The Semi-Sandwich Construction has a cap construction in the tip and the tail of the ski to keep it forgiving and easy to turn for a skier still finding their feet underneath them and a vertical sidewall under the binding platform to deliver edge grip when you need it. A Woodcore adds even more forgiveness, a layer of Basalt provides strength with even more weight reduction, and a single Titanium Laminate adds stability for the times when you want to find your speed limit. Salomon's All-Terrain Rocker 2.0 will help you roll in and out of turns with little effort. The XDR 78 ST also has a Pulse Pad which is elastomers that sit behind the edges of the ski to dampen vibrations when conditions get a little bumpy. If you are a progressing beginner, or looking to get out of annoying rental shop lines the Salomon XDR 78 ST will be a perfect ski for you.

Last edited:

WWF-VT

Has anyone bought anything from this site? It's based in China. At those prices I'm thinking knock-offs.

It must be legit.....

[h=2]Welcome to We shopping store[/h][FONT=&quot]We're a wholly Owned and Operated Online Retailer, an internet leader in providing customers with high-quality products at very reasonable prices.

On the "Contact Us" page there is no address or phone number

Good luck [/FONT]

Equinox

It must be legit.....

[h=2]Welcome to We shopping store[/h][FONT="]We're a wholly Owned and Operated Online Retailer, an internet leader in providing customers with high-quality products at very reasonable prices.

On the "Contact Us" page there is no address or phone number

Good luck [/FONT]

Yeah, I may steer clear of that!