• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

SLC Area Info

thetrailboss

Staff member
Looking at the satellite view of it, the new terminal just has a bizarre layout because it's kind of shoehorned in next to the old one. The entrance and baggage claim is kind of at one far corner instead of in the middle like most airports. Theres a long underground tunnel if you're coming from the back terminal. Needs more people movers.

Yes, the new ski carousel is pretty snazzy. That whole area feels like the Bellagio.
I think that the old one has been completely demoed. At least it was close to be demoed.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I was in it..seemed like just a big airport. Not sure why they are complaining. Does take a while to move around it..like Kennedy..and your gate is always the last one...hmmm....
It's probably because the old one was a different design--like separate tentacles with gates--so it is shorter distance to get from the entry to a gate. The new one, from what I can see as I have not yet flown out of it, is like Detroit with two long terminals. As I said, first world problems.

FBGM

Looking at the satellite view of it, the new terminal just has a bizarre layout because it's kind of shoehorned in next to the old one. The entrance and baggage claim is kind of at one far corner instead of in the middle like most airports. Theres a long underground tunnel if you're coming from the back terminal. Needs more people movers.

Yes, the new ski carousel is pretty snazzy. That whole area feels like the Bellagio.
Old one is getting torn down in phase 2. And I think rebuilt or something? I can’t keep track of it anymore. Used to always be there. Then Covid and yeah...know the story.

FBGM

I’ve been out of town for work (not via plane) and I guess I’m coming back to like 12”+ at my house. I don’t care about the snow at this point but glad for the extra water.

jimk

4/15/21 One of the better combination days for me this winter up at Snowbird for excellent snow, decent viz, and low crowds.

Zand

4/15/21 One of the better combination days for me this winter up at Snowbird for excellent snow, decent viz, and low crowds.
Did they get much open? I deferred to Alta because the snow report said Cirque, Provo, and Mineral Basin were all closed for avy control. If the Cirque was open I wouldve gone but that doesnt leave much else. Want to go tomorrow, still waiting to hit Snowbird on a good day and this might be my chance.

jimk

Spent best part of the day on Gad 2 chair. Trees there including STH were quite good. Never went to summit due to poor viz up there. Skied lower Baldy off Peru chair for some short, but good powder stashes. Taking today off due to fatigue and some chores at home. But I'm sure BCC and LCC will be good again with more new snow!
PS took bus up and down for first time this winter. It was pretty full, but a new stop puts it only 8 min walk from my accomms.

Zand

I'm on the bus now headed up. No traffic today...good sign. Some snow accumulation in the valley which is a good sign for colder snow up high. Looks like Cirque is open and part of Mineral. But will probably follow the Gad 2 lead to start with the low vis. Pumped for my first ever (hopefully) good day at Snowbird!

xlr8r

The old terminals will be demolished if they have not already been, then the 2 new concourses will be extended out where the old terminal was. This is replicating the Terminal and Concourse layout that Atlanta pioneered with parallel satellite concourses located in the middle of the airport with parallel runways on either side oriented perpendicular to the concourses. Denver also has this layout when it was built from scratch, and Detroit has a similar variation with its concourses parallel to the Runways instead of Perpendicular. This is the ideal Hub layout as it allows for easy plane movements, and easy connections for passengers.

jaytrem

Just a flesh wound! That ski has plenty of life left in it!

Zand

Took it to the ski shop and they said it can be hammered back in and set with edge screws and epoxy. But for all intents and purposes it'll be a rock ski.

Was gonna get new skis next fall anyway.

BenedictGomez

I was with a friend once who broke a ski in half landing a jump at Hunter, which was a first foe me, but I've never seen the sidewall just rip apart that far like that.