• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

SLC Area Info

BenedictGomez

Wow. That's complete BS. Homer'ism runs strong in you two. You're trying extremely very hard to justify and cover for a very bad system (which is probably why it remains so bad) :

First off, I've been to Park City precisely twice in my life, so I'm hardly a "homer" or exhibiting favoritism.

Second, given I lived in Manhattan for 10 years and was born and raised in north Jersey, it's highly likely I have far more experience with "public transit" than you do, so we can swat that nonsense about how experienced you are with transit, away too.

I genuinely fail to see how anyone could think Park City's FREE (this hasnt been mentioned), clean, public transit system is anything but great. If you failed to know there was a GPS system showing you precisely where the buses are and what lines are running, times, etc.. that's on you. It's a solid system that in my experiences (winter & summer) ran smoothly and on-time.

Teleskier

You are seriously continuing with this gripe? I remember last year when you complained about this and how bad the PC Whole Foods was. Really? You couldn't get an Uber or Lyft to go the 5 miles or so from your place to Deer Valley?

Boy, fertile ground here and how easy to impugn with an apparently loaded "Whole Foods" charge. :)

But sorry guys, trailboss has me confused, that "Whole Foods" rap wasn't me. (Not that there's anything wrong with it).

Before the trip, I stupidly bought into the other Park City tourist 'fake news' PR that it was a 'foodie' destination given Sundance, and so reserved ahead and ate every dinner out, endlessly and futilely searching for a price-commensurate decent meal which never came despite PC charging very high-end prices.

So no - never did cook anything in the room on that trip, neither Whole Foods or (their equivalent of) Market Basket (which is more my speed).

Now "how long it takes to get to the liquor store in Park City by bus" and "what it is like to buy 'sinful' alcohol there" - now those are whole different Utah stories I regale around the campfire.

On Uber, I probably am different there. As a non-millennial rural person raised european, I'm not in the habit of even considering Uber. Doubly so in a place, a city no less, purported to have a good 'useable' transit system. If it was good, you wouldn't need Uber. As you agree, in Park City you need it, so ergo it is not a good transit system. I have never needed Uber in many decades of travel in Europe or Japan or even 'good transit' American cities. To me, if I was going to go Uber, I'd just rather get the rental car for unlimited freedom and travel instead.

"Take me to Whole Foods!! My good Uber man!!" - sorry, that particular 'millennial' pampered splurge is not me. (Not that there's anything wrong with it)

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

thetrailboss' last post got me curious, so I looked it up....

Teleskier is the guy who in 2016 went on a long post rant that Utah would be the last places he'd want to ski because it's too Republican etc..... and spending his money there would essentially be against his ethical code, etc......

This is relevant, because the ski trip with the horrible mass transit experience he's now ranting about, and horrible skiing, horrible everything, with him hating Utah took place in 2017.

Basically he went to the place he said he wouldn't go for moral reasons, and then he got upset that his preconceived, ignorant, bigoted, confirmational biases, were met.

BenedictGomez

Uber is a millennial splurge?

GET OFF MY LAWN!!!

Is that really an "old people thing" though? I dont think so.

I know plenty of people far older than I that love Uber & Lyft.

And what does, "I'm not in the habit of even considering Uber" mean?

Is he in the Taxi Cab Union or something. lol

deadheadskier

Staff member
Maybe

I honestly have never met someone who doesn't love Uber.

What a great, easy to use and affordable service. I'm about to order one right now. I live about 1.5 miles outside of town. No sidewalk on the state highway, so too dangerous to walk. $7 each way to not have to worry about driving after having a few beers seeing music.

Pre-Uber it was $25 one way for a taxi, which I never used. Had to order a taxi from a more populous town 8 miles away and they charge for the full 16 miles.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

BenedictGomez

I honestly have never met someone who doesn't love Uber.

I've never used Uber or Lyft, but I absolutely would do so.

I've used both AirBNB (Saratoga, Whiteface) and VRBO (Toronto), which are essentially the same thing except with lodging, and the results are amazing. Better goods, better service, and cheaper!

MEtoVTSkier

I've never used Uber or Lyft, but I absolutely would do so.

I've used both AirBNB (Saratoga, Whiteface) and VRBO (Toronto), which are essentially the same thing except with lodging, and the results are amazing. Better goods, better service, and cheaper!

I've never used Uber or Lyft either, but spending the majority of the year in more rural areas, used to always having a vehicle. If I fly, I rent a vehicle. Probably haven't seen the inside of a taxi since my military days.

Seems to be popular with some of the relatives in FL, but it seems safer when bar-hopping!

Edd

Seems to be popular with some of the relatives in FL, but it seems safer when bar-hopping!

It certainly is. I’ve wondered if these services have affected the bottom line of some areas with lost DUI revenue.

For example, I went to New Orleans a couple of weeks ago. There’s little need for a rental car if you’re just hanging in the French Quarter.

dlague

Wow this thread has been entertaining to say the least. I de iced to look up reviews of the transit system in PC and was surprised by the 5 star rating considering what was said here. This is from trip advisor. I have always rented either way since I like to be able to come and go as I please and get their timely.

Screenshot_20181117-095613_TripAdvisor.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using AlpineZone mobile app

thetrailboss

Staff member
Wow this thread has been entertaining to say the least. I de iced to look up reviews of the transit system in PC and was surprised by the 5 star rating considering what was said here. This is from trip advisor. I have always rented either way since I like to be able to come and go as I please and get their timely.

View attachment 24149

Sent from my SM-G930V using AlpineZone mobile app

:lol:

Teleskier obviously hasn’t posted a review yet!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

FBGM

Teleskier also said there was much snow and the sun was to bright during his trip to Park City.

KustyTheKlown

too cheap and stupid to rent a car on a ski vacation and still in shock about it?

and park city fucking sucks. go to the cottonwoods you fucking ding dong.

edited to add - i did the bus thing once. staying in midvale and skiing at alta/bird. it was totally convenient and affordable and ran damn near clockwork. that being said, i prefer to have a car for the day to day conveniences of having a car.

prsboogie

Wow. That's complete BS. Homer'ism runs strong in you two. You're trying extremely very hard to justify and cover for a very bad system (which is probably why it remains so bad) :

• I must have wanted a bus to drive me to a friend's remote house? Nope. Major, published, most-popular tourist spots.
  • It must have been Sundance? Nope. Normal random ski week.
  • It must have been 2am? Nope. From major Park City hotel right on the bus stop to Canyons ski lift (9am?), from Canyons last chair (4pm?) to Park City hotel, from Park City hotel to downtown Park City dinner (8pm?), back to hotel (10pm?). All unreasonable?
  • It was one bad bus trip? Nope. 4 trips a day for 10 days = 40 chances to get finally it right/passable.
  • I must have wanted it to be as fast as car? Nope. You tell me - giving TWO HOURS to go from nearby Canyons ski area to Park City. Is that reasonable to you? If so, you have very low expectations. It takes 1.5hr to WALK there!

As a lifelong extensive traveller, the number of mass transit systems I've experienced must be near triple digits. Park City mass transit for me ranks in the bottom 10 percent.

News flash: Your own "Take an Uber" admission != a sign of a good mass transit system. But would be on par for the poor transit system I experienced there.

The best you could Homer'ism sugar coat it is: I just must have been there for the wrong, whole, ten days.
Wow just ready this for the first time and wow. I have stayed in New Park and skied 3 days at Canyons and PCMR pre merger. I bused in and out all three days as well as having my wife bus in from the hotel to meet me for drinks at the end of the day, by herself. We both we very happy with the free transportation that was supplied to us. I have had much more unpleasant time navigating the T in Boston then anywhere in Utah

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

BenedictGomez

We both we very happy with the free transportation that was supplied to us. I have had much more unpleasant time navigating the T in Boston then anywhere in Utah

Yeah, but was your free Park City transportation on 180 mph bullet trains from point A to point B?

I think NOT.

So totes worth a 50% personl income tax!

deadheadskier

Staff member