• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

SLC Area Info

Kleetus

Well, better than last year. We are at about 62" base at Snowbird. 75" things are pretty good. 100" things are really good. More snow in the forecast later this weekend. Then a break, but doesn't look too bad. So as to LCC, things are filling in. Not sure what you mean by "steeper stuff." Some is open at Snowbird, some is not. For example, parts of the Cirque are pretty good from what I saw last weekend before the last storm.

Thanks for the info. Just what I was looking for. Not being familiar with SLC skiing wasn't sure at what base levels equate to good vs bad skiing.

Zand

Looks like a good dumping is on the way tomorrow and Monday. Hoping for a repeat a week from now!

thetrailboss

Staff member
OK, I stand corrected. Today’s 6” storm turned into 20”. Unreal skiing. More coming. It will be awesome the next few days and more coming!

IMG_3004.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Zand

Can almost taste it now. Looks like things are in good shape after the past week's storms. Sunday and Monday look bluebird and pleasant temps then maybe some snow Tuesday-Wednesday and naturally a big storm after I leave.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Can almost taste it now. Looks like things are in good shape after the past week's storms. Sunday and Monday look bluebird and pleasant temps then maybe some snow Tuesday-Wednesday and naturally a big storm after I leave.

Yep. That’s what it looks like.

BenedictGomez

Any good ideas for winter, daytime, non-downhill skiing activities (perish the thought, sadly, I know) in the area?

Done all the PC shopping stuff before & Natural History Museum (which anyone who visits the area should see for the dino stuff alone).

Some ideas I had:
Easy cross country skiing
Snowshoeing
Apparently there's an art museum in SLC

Last edited:

jimk

Any good ideas for winter, daytime, non-downhill skiing activities (perish the thought, sadly, I know) in the area?

Done all the PC shopping stuff before & Natural History Museum (which anyone who visits the area should see for the dino stuff alone).

Some ideas I had:
Snowshoeing

One time I took a 45 min drive from SLC to Antelope Island State Park with my wife. You have to take a causeway to get out there. It has interesting wildlife, hiking, biking and you can drive a circular road around the island which has a moon-like mountainous topography, also with wide sandy beaches on the Great Salt Lake. Very different and scenic place for those of us from lush eastern locales. Cost a few bucks to enter and there is a decent little visitor center. A mild winter day is a good time to go. They tell me lots of bugs there in summer. not my photos:
1809231.jpg

v068b9O.jpg

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member

Some ideas I had:
Snowshoeing

Some ideas include:

*Nordic skiing at Alta (very limited) and Solitude (more trails);
*Spa at Snowbird;
*Shopping in Park City;
*Art events at Sundance Resort;
*Cooking workshops at Harmons SLC Downtown;
*The Leonardo Art Gallery in SLC;
*Tram ride and hot chocolate at the Summit at Snowbird;
*Tour and tasting at Mountain West Cidery;
*Tour and tasting at a multitude of microbreweries in SLC (they DO exist) or.....

helping us pack for our move in two weeks to a different part of SLC ;)

snoseek

Some ideas include:

*Nordic skiing at Alta (very limited) and Solitude (more trails);
*Spa at Snowbird;
*Shopping in Park City;
*Art events at Sundance Resort;
*Cooking workshops at Harmons SLC Downtown;
*The Leonardo Art Gallery in SLC;
*Tram ride and hot chocolate at the Summit at Snowbird;
*Tour and tasting at Mountain West Cidery;
*Tour and tasting at a multitude of microbreweries in SLC (they DO exist) or.....

How are the workshops at harmons?

What hood are you residing at?

snoseek

The Harmons cooking school is legit.

In 9th and 9th. Moving to uppermost Aves!

Oh yeah that seems like an awesome location!

When I first came here as a teen in the late 80's till now, this city has changed so much mostly for the better. SLC will give Denver a run for its money in the coming years. All speculation on my part.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Oh yeah that seems like an awesome location!

When I first came here as a teen in the late 80's till now, this city has changed so much mostly for the better. SLC will give Denver a run for its money in the coming years. All speculation on my part.

Thanks. We’re trading Liberty Park for Bonneville Shoreline Trailhead!

thetrailboss

Staff member
And not to scare people off, but I am just wondering is there anyone here not coming to Utah because of the recent change in the DUI laws? It is now .05. My friend who works up in Little Cottonwood said that hotels in Alta are already 600 guest nights behind last year. And last year sucked.

snoseek

And not to scare people off, but I am just wondering is there anyone here not coming to Utah because of the recent change in the DUI laws? It is now .05. My friend who works up in Little Cottonwood said that hotels in Alta are already 600 guest nights behind last year. And last year sucked.

Like overall? Because Im wondering if the snowpine being closed for the construction effects those numbers.

Also if you're on vacation and staying in town there zero reason to drink and drive at all. Between tax and uber the cost is reasonable and convenient to be hammered and mobile. Not that I agree with .05...its bullshit.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Like overall? Because Im wondering if the snowpine being closed for the construction effects those numbers.

Also if you're on vacation and staying in town there zero reason to drink and drive at all. Between tax and uber the cost is reasonable and convenient to be hammered and mobile. Not that I agree with .05...its bullshit.

Good point. Let me inquire.

BenedictGomez

Hah! While that sounds like amazing fun, we're not coming until March. Found out the wife is preggers and her OB/GYN is vehemently against her downhill skiing. We could have cancelled, but she wants to come and just do non-ski stuff since she loves Utah. Dunno is there will be enough snow for XC or snowshoeing at lower elevations, but that's a possibility. As is spas, shopping, etc.... Prolly wont do the booze tastings though!

BenedictGomez

This angers me greatly. Lives are going to be destroyed for "drunk driving" while not actually being remotely "drunk". That said, do people take this into consideration when booking a trip? I cant imagine picking or denying a destination because I'm worried I could get nailed with a bogus "DUI" after a mere 2 beers.

if you're on vacation and staying in town there zero reason to drink and drive at all. Between tax and uber the cost is reasonable and convenient to be hammered and mobile. Not that I agree with .05...its bullshit.

Plus cheap mass tranny or free public tranny if you're in Park City.
That said, how many first-time tourists know this?