• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

SLC Area Info

thetrailboss

Staff member
What does the inversion have to do with crowds. is it just the warmth or does the air quality in the city become that much of an issue.

In the winter, it gets cold, nasty foggy, and air quality goes into the shitter on a few days here and there in Dec-Feb.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

hub8

You're going to rent something quite a bit wider in Utah given you're talking about powder & glades, right?
Thanks and yes. I'm 5'6", 150lbs and thinking about trying Qst 92 or 99, or should i try even wider? 50+lbs son currently on 67mm 110cm ski, I have not a clue what he needs, and will depend on advice at demo shop.

Sent from my SM-G935U using AlpineZone mobile app

Zand

In the winter, it gets cold, nasty foggy, and air quality goes into the shitter on a few days here and there in Dec-Feb.

Flying in was neat yesterday...the mountains were like islands above the sea of clouds. Very cloudy in morning (and again today) but the clouds burned off in the valley yesterday afternoon for some great views.

BenedictGomez

Flying in was neat yesterday...the mountains were like islands above the sea of clouds.

The first time I flew there, I flew in at night, and the most surprising thing to me from the air was the miles of city lights of SLC (and suburbs) surrounded by absolute darkness. I'd never seen anything like that before.

Normally, you get dwindling lights the farther out you get from any C.B.D. or urban area, but everyone in Utah lives on top of one another in a connected area (obvious exaggeration, but practically true), and is then surrounded by nature/wilderness. I didnt realize at the time how much of Utah as a function of percentage the government owns. It's completely counter-intuitive, but it's easier to buy a house on 10 or 20 acres of land in a nice area of New Jersey (the most densely populated state in America), than it is in Utah!

Zand

The first time I flew there, I flew in at night, and the most surprising thing to me from the air was the miles of city lights of SLC (and suburbs) surrounded by absolute darkness. I'd never seen anything like that before.

Normally, you get dwindling lights the farther out you get from any C.B.D. or urban area, but everyone in Utah lives on top of one another in a connected area (obvious exaggeration, but practically true), and is then surrounded by nature/wilderness. I didnt realize at the time how much of Utah as a function of percentage the government owns. It's completely counter-intuitive, but it's easier to buy a house on 10 or 20 acres of land in a nice area of New Jersey (the most densely populated state in America), than it is in Utah!

Have you ever flown into Vegas at night? Same thing but...Vegas.

Zand

Did you like Snowbird?

I'd love it with better conditions but everything was pretty wind skewered or Rock solid if it faced the sun. Found a couple soft chutes off Road to Provo which I lapped a bunch and those were a blast. Got adventurous at one point and went to ski one of the Cirque chutes...the traverse was almost totally bare and I don't know how I didn't trash my skis. The snow in the Cirque was not worth the effort either lol.

Tomorrow I was going to go to Alta but I decided to audible and check out Deer Valley with conditions the way they are. Will hit Alta Wednesday with hopefully some fresh snow.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I'd love it with better conditions but everything was pretty wind skewered or Rock solid if it faced the sun. Found a couple soft chutes off Road to Provo which I lapped a bunch and those were a blast. Got adventurous at one point and went to ski one of the Cirque chutes...the traverse was almost totally bare and I don't know how I didn't trash my skis. The snow in the Cirque was not worth the effort either lol.

Tomorrow I was going to go to Alta but I decided to audible and check out Deer Valley with conditions the way they are. Will hit Alta Wednesday with hopefully some fresh snow.

Bookends was good. The Cirque Traverse always sucks

Zand

TB - do you have any Deer Valley tips to share? I wasn't expecting to go over there and didn't do any research. Downloaded a trail map and the place certainly is sprawling. Can't even figure out where I'm supposed to park.

thetrailboss

Staff member
TB - do you have any Deer Valley tips to share? I wasn't expecting to go over there and didn't do any research. Downloaded a trail map and the place certainly is sprawling. Can't even figure out where I'm supposed to park.

You start at Snow Park Lodge. Take the Silver Lake or Carpenter lifts out to Silver Lake. I suggest then skiing down and riding to the top of Bald Mountain. Hit Steins and try Sultan Express. There’s good pitch there. The other favorite of mine is Empire or Lady Morgan. Daly Bowl and chutes are fun. And if you have time Jordanelle Gondola and Mountaineer are fun. Staff ambassadors by the trail maps will tell you what is good.

benski

It makes sense, its kinda a pain to build houses and highways in the mountains so people have little choice but to live in a small area of Utah. The government ended up with so much land because it was worthless in the early 20th century. Its why forest preserves are disproportionately on mountain and base areas much more likely to be on private land than the actual ski area.

snoseek

The high traverse at alta is a bit thin as you try to get out to stonecrusher and points beyond FYI. Also greeley will be crusted over. The good natural soft bumps are off wildcat right now. Also baldy shoulder should have so soft turns. Avoid areas that get sun till the next storm.

Zand

Alright add me to the list of people who were pleasantly surprised by Deer Valley. Incredibly nice people there and very nice facilities...reminded be a lot of Bretton Woods. Daly Bowl had great snow and was a ton of fun...and not much effort to get into it.

Every time I go to a place like that I expect the worst of people (STRATTON) but like BW they made sure you had the best day you could.

BenedictGomez

Alright add me to the list of people who were pleasantly surprised by Deer Valley. Incredibly nice people there and very nice facilities...reminded be a lot of Bretton Woods. Daly Bowl had great snow and was a ton of fun...and not much effort to get into it.

Very nice facilities is an understatement. I'd never seen leather chairs in a ski lodge common area before. Every attention to detail is there, even the paper towels in the bathroom are heavyweight ($$$).

I didnt ski Daly Bowl when I was there, but after hiking over it this summer I definitely plan to this March when I visit. Looks great.

thetrailboss

Staff member

Every time I go to a place like that I expect the worst of people (STRATTON) but like BW they made sure you had the best day you could.

Spot on. That has been my experience with DV, Stratton, and BW post 2010.

You going to Alta tomorrow?

Zand

Spot on. That has been my experience with DV, Stratton, and BW post 2010.

You going to Alta tomorrow?

I am...unfortunately have to cut the day short to get back to the airport but not sure my legs can handle more than 4 hours at this point anyway.

Even though I only got a brief overview of each place I went, I'm glad I went to a bunch of different areas and now I feel like I'll be able to navigate to better spots at each area whenever I come back.

BenedictGomez

Even though I only got a brief overview of each place I went, I'm glad I went to a bunch of different areas and now I feel like I'll be able to navigate to better spots at each area whenever I come back.

I feel exactly the same when I ski a new area. I'd rather ski each place once and at least get a taste of what they offer. Glad to hear you've had a fun trip.

Zand

I feel exactly the same when I ski a new area. I'd rather ski each place once and at least get a taste of what they offer. Glad to hear you've had a fun trip.

Part of it is the conditions not quite being where I'd hoped. With primo conditions I easily would've spent all 4 days in LCC without even thinking about it. But with a long season still ahead I figured I'd just get small tastes of each area and not wreck myself trying to turn in breakable crust down some steep chutes at Snowbird.

flakeydog

go to Snowbasin. The lodge there is a trip-and-a-half. And speaking of "facilities" you have to check out the bathrooms, well worth the trip downstairs. The whole lodge is just over the top with chandeliers, marble, nice chairs, artwork, sculptures, etc. It blew me away as to how nice it was considering there is no hotel or condos attached, all for day trippers. And the mountain is great, nice people, good terrain, etc.