• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

this weekend? 11/10-11

Hawk

I think Krustys forecast will be spot on for Killington. That Noaa.gov forecast knows about the trending colder. the discuss and the weather boards have been saying his for two days. Saturday and Sunday will be good.

skiMEbike

Thinking about heading to Wildcat tomorrow.....Would rather pay $$ for 2100 vertical vs skiing half a trail at the River for free.

Ashamed to admit, I've never been to the Kitty, so wondering about a couple things: First, how do you think the coverage will be on Lynx....rock skis or not?? The second thing I wonder about is the weather and the impact to lifts. Two factors in play tomorrow with the wind plus possible icing. Seems like winds could be "ok" 20-30 mph with gusts up to 40 mph ??? Knowing the main lift is detachable, I am more concerned about the possibility of icing as high temps will be about freezing in the morning than dropping during the day.

Welcome any insight from Wildcat regulars/Pinkham notch weather "guru's".

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
I'm really not one to wait around to go skiing based on the assumption conditions will get better...hell if I did that I'd probably get 6-8 days a season rather than 60-80...but between Friday and Tuesday's storm, and the cold weather coming, next week could potentially be great skiing.

slatham

really? i tend to trust dot gov. they seem to update it quite often.

i rely on a smorgasbord of dot gov, tropical tidbits GFS, open snow, and weather.com[/QUOTE

These point and click NWS forecasts are better than many of the other "graphic" weather sources. But you have to realize its simply the output of the GFS. It is not the actual forecast as put out by NWS BTV (in the case of Killington). While the GFS can be a good model, it often busts and should always be used in combo with the Euro and NAM, if not the Canadian and UK Met. At the least, you should read the detailed Forecast Discussion that is put out at least twice a day by the actual NWS forecaster who is looking at all the models, soundings, etc and knows the local micro climates etc.

So I guess I would revise my comment to read "Be aware of what goes into this forecast and don't use it as the sole input to your decision making."

cdskier

At the least, you should read the detailed Forecast Discussion that is put out at least twice a day by the actual NWS forecaster who is looking at all the models, soundings, etc and knows the local micro climates etc.

Love reading those detailed discussions and highly recommend them as well.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
If Killington can get 6" or so of heavy glop up on the North Ridge, solidified with some freezing rain...another 8" or so on Tuesday could be enough to get something like Ridge open...or maybe even a rocky version of Powerline.

HowieT2

Love reading those detailed discussions and highly recommend them as well.

Agreed. I'd also add snow-forecast.com although that is also derived from one model and therefore not wholly reliable. and powderchasers.com has great discussions but is mostly focused out west.

KustyTheKlown

I find that the noaa 3400' forecast for Killington is pretty much the most accurate within 3 days. Most other Killington weather forecasts are for the town at about 1500'

yes, the one i posted is specific for killington PEAK

slatham

yes, the one i posted is specific for killington PEAK

Check this out too:

https://www.weather.gov/btv/mountain

Click on any of the mountain icons and you'll get a detailed forecast (from a a forecaster) for the summit. Killington is one.

The most recent is (note, this is the summit):

THE FORECAST FOR KILLINGTON PEAK, VERMONT AT 4,235:
LAST UPDATED AT 250 PM EST FRI NOV 09 2018

.TONIGHT...SUMMITS OBSCURED IN CLOUDS. SNOW AND SLEET UNTIL
MIDNIGHT...THEN FREEZING DRIZZLE OR FREEZING RAIN OR SLEET AFTER
MIDNIGHT. LOW AROUND 27. SOUTHEAST WINDS 40 TO 45 MPH.
.SATURDAY...SUMMITS OBSCURED IN CLOUDS IN THE MORNING...THEN
BECOMING MOSTLY CLOUDY. A CHANCE OF SNOW SHOWERS AND FREEZING
DRIZZLE IN THE MORNING...THEN A CHANCE OF SNOW SHOWERS IN THE
AFTERNOON. HIGH AROUND 29. TEMPERATURES FALLING TO AROUND 18 IN THE
AFTERNOON. SOUTHWEST WINDS 30 TO 45 MPH...BECOMING WEST 40 TO 50 MPH
IN THE AFTERNOON. WIND CHILL VALUES AS LOW AS 6 BELOW.
.SATURDAY NIGHT...SUMMITS OBSCURED IN CLOUDS UNTIL MIDNIGHT...THEN
BECOMING PARTLY CLOUDY. LOW AROUND 12. WEST WINDS 50 TO 60 MPH. WIND
CHILL VALUES AS LOW AS 14 BELOW.
.VETERANS DAY...SUNNY. HIGH AROUND 17. NORTHWEST WINDS 40 TO
55 MPH...BECOMING WEST AND...DECREASING TO 25 TO 30 MPH IN THE
AFTERNOON. WIND CHILL VALUES AS LOW AS 15 BELOW.

Also, if you scroll to the bottom you can see the experimental forecast page, which includes forecast snow amounts.

Haas

From the webcam and radar, it looks to be nuking at wildcat...forecast has it getting stronger overnight then calming down tomorrow--with snow falling into the afternoon.

Up in 6 hours to go catch would could be an epic early-season powder day! Hope some of you guys make it out as well!

Edit: SkiMEbike -- I'm coming from ME and bypassing SR, as well. I dont think coverage will be an issue on open trails. I'll be bringing rock skis just in case but intend to be on the pow skis all day cuz why not! Wind is always a crapshoot and it does look pretty gusty tomorrow..hut I'd rather be there on wind hold then not be there when its spinning! Definitely check snow report around 630 to see if wind holds are mentioned. And msg me if you'd like to get a lap in! Have fun

Last edited:

Edd

Wildcat claiming 6” of dense snow overnight.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

machski

SR claiming with eyes reporting a good 6 inches up top, 3-4 down low but did change over to drizzle this morning. Good base start for snowmaking tonight at least!

Unfortunately, Tuesday's storm is now trending hard in the wrong direction, so looks like a speed bump midweek now. Still really early!

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

Smellytele

Wildcat claiming 6” of dense snow overnight.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
I was there today. This morning skied nicely. Snowing lightly when we got there at 9:45. Picked up around 11. After lunch it went to shit the top 2/3rds of the lynx trail. The wind picked up temps dropped. tried to ski some ungroomed under the chair and it had a crust on top. The trail itself froze up and was a little tough to ski gracefully. Left around 2 as I had enough. It was fun for the full ttb morning runs just not after lunch.

machski

Sunday River skied nice today, back to TTB (lower punch still has water bars but should be even better tomorrow). Very likely Barker Quad is in at tomorrow with at least Jungle Road and Ecstacy. Question is if Right Stuff will join the fun, it's coming along nicely. Started making Cascade today too.

Sent from my XT1650 using AlpineZone mobile app

Zand

NWS has 6-10" on Tuesday at SR. Thinking about starting my season with a powder day.

Smellytele

While I had fun today when skiing, the line at North Ridge at k sucked. 1 minute of skiing for every 15-20 minutes of waiting in line then the lift ride.

sull1102

Sounds like the crowds are starting to arrive then because Mount Snow had a huge backup for downloading on Canyon while the Grand Summit is already having issues it looks like.

Sent from my Pixel using AlpineZone mobile app

JimG.

Staff member
When we quit at about 2:30 Canyon was open and we skied to the bottom.

Started at 10am when lift started loading, glad we got over to Freefall early, that skied OK for about 3 laps and then we stuck to Cascade where snow was better. Run down Canyon at end was decent but more snowmaking is needed at the bottom.

Sported the glazed donut look all day:

20181.jpg

At Killington now heading out for turns around 9.

KustyTheKlown

While I had fun today when skiing, the line at North Ridge at k sucked. 1 minute of skiing for every 15-20 minutes of waiting in line then the lift ride.

same story sunday but hard to complain. its november 11. it was a beautiful day. they had a nice set of options to ski. and the bold could ski t2b on cascade with a rope duck (snow was trash but it beat the walkway). im just grateful to have day 1 under my belt nice and early.

we are closed for veterans day. i am so sore in my triceps and legs.

urungus

Went to Mount Snow on Sunday. Conditions were great, except for the top of Free Fall which was scraped off and very treacherous, saw many wipeouts from the icy chairlift. After two Sundays with virtually no waiting, for some reason everyone decided to show up yesterday and the lift lines were horrible. Apparently the Grand Summitt was not working, so they were downloading using the Canyon chairlift. The download line was crowding into the actual trail, making it treacherous to navigate. There was wholesale poaching of Canyon going on, as a steady stream of people bailed on the line and ducked the rope right in front of the liftie. Snow on Canyon was nice and soft and coverage was much better than opening weekend (except for a couple water bars). Or so I heard ;-) Early on my goggles got covered in a thick sheet of impenetrable ice and I spent the day getting blasted in the eyes by ice pellets from the snow guns, which were everywhere and on full blast.