• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Hunter Opens Saturday!

jg17

Less crowded than I expected today, haven't waited more than 3 chairs for the Flyer so far. Base cover is a little more packed down than expected after Thursday's snow, but still pretty good for opening day. Debating getting a hotel and staying for tomorrow too...

JimG.

Staff member
I don’t think they have opened earlier than Black Friday since ORDA took over. Back when Tony ran it the plan was always to open as early as possible, but those days are over.

I do think they need more time to open deer run since it needs so much more snow. We’ll see, and I certainly hope you’re right and they do open this weekend! I’m sure there will be an announcement today if so.

Turns out we were both half correct. Yes, Deer Run opened but I was mostly interested in skiing Dot Nebel early on and that was not open. So I was very disappointed to see Deer Run only for Belle on Sat and I just bagged that. And I would agree with you that I'm not a fan of the new plan if it is to open Deer Run first at the expense of opening Onteora.

Hunter was sweet yesterday, probably the best terrain and conditions I have skied yet this season.

Skiing was great both days. Flat light, but soft edges rules the day. Saturday the side country was good with lots of natural wet snow. Many people learning how to ski it seemed.

Bandit2941

Went to Hunter Saturday and Belleayre Sunday.

Hunter was good, it was nice having 2 full trails open. Snow quality was fun and variable. It was fairly crowded but not terrible when I stopped around noon. Got about a dozen runs in and worked the legs pretty good.

Belleayre Sunday was also good. The snow quality was excellent. Did about 8 or 9 deer runs then called it a day. Absolutely nobody there, a patroller said there were 243 Saturday and less on Sunday.

Guns going top to bottom on Seneca so we should have that for the weekend at least. Only so many deer runs can be done before boredom sets in.

tnt1234

Any terrain expansion for Hunter likely by the weekend?

Not sure what you mean. They opened Cliff and Huega and Ike in 1 day. Awesome conditions today. The continued to pound Park Ave, Ike, 7th and started East Side, MIlky and Upper K at noon, all should be open tomorrow. They also blowing the tubing and Hunter one. Forgot to mention the trees were open and yesterday I skied untacked all day on East Side and K runout.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/oeNQ26GL97WWeZ5h7

Attachments

• IMG_20181121_153622.jpg
    IMG_20181121_153622.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 104

jg17

I don't think it's worth complaining. After a few warm days earlier this week, they wanted to make sure they didn't lose anything that was already open, and then they were still able to get more open. White Cloud, Belt Parkay, and the west side won't open until the Hunter North construction is done, so can't really complain about not blowing there. So far, so good for early season, and I'm looking forward to getting back up there on Sunday.

RichT

N Haledon, NJ/Jewett, NY/South Seaside Park, NJ
OKAY, I take that back! What a difference two days make, yesterday was a BlueBird day. Cold (didn't feel like it though) sunny and no wind. They made snow and did all day. I would say, since it's a shorter list, that the trails that aren't open are Belt, Racer's, Upper and Lower K, Crossover and Gun Hill. East Side had 10 foot whales, which should be groomed out for today. It's currently 26 and sunny, ENJOY!!

andrec10

Hyde Park, NY...Hunter on Weekends in the Winter..
OKAY, I take that back! What a difference two days make, yesterday was a BlueBird day. Cold (didn't feel like it though) sunny and no wind. They made snow and did all day. I would say, since it's a shorter list, that the trails that aren't open are Belt, Racer's, Upper and Lower K, Crossover and Gun Hill. East Side had 10 foot whales, which should be groomed out for today. It's currently 26 and sunny, ENJOY!!

It was a very nice day today. Nice to have so many ways down on Thanksgiving weekend!

mfi

Nope..wife scheduled a ...Bar Mitzvah to go to..oh..joy. next Saturday I have to work which leaves that Sunday open for..whatever. I have the EPIC pass so the only thing in day trip range is..Okemo. Blue cruisers and coffee..or Hunter.