• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Kickstarter Project for Book on James Niehues' Work

KD7000

Or not.

A $191,268 collect (and growing) with very limited word-of-mouth "marketing", suggests this was either a failure on the part of the publisher(s) who rejected the work, or Team Niehues knew there would be solid demand for his book and realized they'd maximize profit this way & never went to mass publishers in the first place.
I think your first suggestion is likely. I still don't think pure profit was the motivator, but we can disagree. In either case, they're going to have to go to a mass publisher now, as their funding is approaching $250,000. :eek:

urungus

I’m in for the autographed book. 8 days left on the campaign (and to get your name included in the book) ... Funding has now reached $369,729

BenedictGomez

I think your first suggestion is likely. I still don't think pure profit was the motivator

The other day I got a "sponsored advertisement" for this on Facebook.

So I think the concept of "profit" being completely an afterthought with regards to this project, can easily be dismissed.

cdskier

Ordering a signed copy and large print. For those of you ordering a print which mountain are you planning on getting? The only one I have skied so far is Okemo. With any luck the Mt Bachelor one he is currently working on will be available.

I would have backed at a level to get a book and a print if they had a better selection of map choices for the print (namely if Sugarbush was a choice).

BenedictGomez

I would have backed at a level to get a book and a print if they had a better selection of map choices for the print (namely if Sugarbush was a choice).

Given how successful this has been, dont be shocked if he starts selling prints after this book is complete (assuming he has the various rights).

Only thing I really dont like though? It looks like trail names are not on the maps. That doesn't completely kill it for me, but it's a pretty huge negative I think. I'd much rather see the lift names, and the various green, blue, black colored trail names.

cdskier

Only thing I really dont like though? It looks like trail names are not on the maps. That doesn't completely kill it for me, but it's a pretty huge negative I think. I'd much rather see the lift names, and the various green, blue, black colored trail names.

For hanging on a wall I actually like it better without the trail names. I think it provides a "cleaner" more artsy look.

FYI anyone wanting James Niehues Prints, there is a much larger selection for sale here

http://www.imagekind.com/MemberProfile.aspx?MID=C93FF046-2056-4CFA-98AE-24B6AFB1B2AD

Thanks. I'm surprised he didn't have that linked anywhere on his own website. I had tried going there last night thinking maybe others were available separately. The "Purchase" link on his website just goes to the Kickstarter page for the book though.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Given how successful this has been, dont be shocked if he starts selling prints after this book is complete (assuming he has the various rights).

I think Jim only does the art work of the mountain and resorts add that information themselves later. A lot of places do have their maps for sale...in some form.

benski

Most ski areas have a PDF of the map on there website for you to download. All you got to do is have it printed.

urungus

Final tally for the Kickstarter project is $590,088, not too shabby considering initial goal was $8,000

BenedictGomez

Final tally for the Kickstarter project is $590,088, not too shabby considering initial goal was $8,000

Wow, lots of money came in last minute.

I'm conservatively guessing a $59.99 cover price, in which case he clears a $1.5M profit easily. Easily.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

Most ski areas have a PDF of the map on there website for you to download. All you got to do is have it printed.

I wonder if that's how people get massive ski map on the wall at home? A year or so ago when I was AirBNB'ing homes in the Cottonwood Canyon area, I noticed at least 3 or 4 different private homes had huge Snowbird maps on the wall in their house. Looked pretty cool. Couldn't tell if they were printed on paper or inked on the wall. Also not sure where you'd go to get something 6' x 5' printed, lol.

thetrailboss

Staff member
I wonder if that's how people get massive ski map on the wall at home? A year or so ago when I was AirBNB'ing homes in the Cottonwood Canyon area, I noticed at least 3 or 4 different private homes had huge Snowbird maps on the wall in their house. Looked pretty cool. Couldn't tell if they were printed on paper or inked on the wall. Also not sure where you'd go to get something 6' x 5' printed, lol.

There are some vendors on Etsy and other places online that sell these maps. One I have been getting ads from is Gnarwall.

cdskier

The problem with many of the PDFs on websites is they have so much other crap on them (i.e. information on amenities, mountain policies, etc). I'd want a just the trail map without all the other stuff.

Of course if you did want to print something large, it isn't hard to find places online that will print very large posters.

That said, even the website someone posted a few posts back of ski maps that you can have printed offers a "massive" size that would come out to roughly the size you mentioned. The exact size varies for each map due to the slightly different shapes of each mountain. Massive for Snowbird's map from that site would come out to 52½ x 57½ for example.

kendo

Has anyone recieved their book?

I got a USPS tracking number on 9/21 and it hasn't left the warehouse yet. Guess they're waiting to fill the truck book by book.