• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Kickstarter Project for Book on James Niehues' Work

BenedictGomez

To get the book it's $75. I dont get that, because the book wont cost that much when it's released. Unless it's going to be a super nice book with high gloss pages like a wildlife photography book, then I could definitely seeing it being spendy. Awesome idea in any event, I'm surprised he hadnt done this prior.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Maybe it's just a case of him struggling to find a publisher to finance it?

I definitely want one. Maybe not $75 want one, but probably $50 want one.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

jaytrem

Very cool. I actually suggested a coffee table book a few years ago on his Facebook page. $75 doesn't seem too bad. Wonder what the retail price is. I'm sure he's flattered by the huge response. Also of note, his Facebook page has been a lot more active lately with his guess the ski area games. Good stuff!!!

ps Hopefully I'll get off int 280 before the book comes out!

Glenn

That's really cool. Glad it hit the goal! Amazing how many areas he's drawn/painted...all by hand.

jaytrem

Up to $53,109 and it doesn't seem to be slowing yet!

thetrailboss

Staff member
Very cool. I actually suggested a coffee table book a few years ago on his Facebook page. $75 doesn't seem too bad. Wonder what the retail price is. I'm sure he's flattered by the huge response. Also of note, his Facebook page has been a lot more active lately with his guess the ski area games. Good stuff!!!

ps Hopefully I'll get off int 280 before the book comes out!

It is $75 for the book...and your name in the credits.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I definitely want one. Maybe not $75 want one, but probably $50 want one.

That didn't last. My wife has been struggling with what to get me for Christmas. So, I thought, okay, contribute to this Kickstarter and I'll get a book I want next summer.

Wife: do you want the signed copy at $125.

Me: well, I've been a fan of his work for 35+ years. Ok. I should go for that.

My wife is a stay at home mom and I pay her CC bill. Lol

KD7000

To get the book it's $75. I dont get that, because the book wont cost that much when it's released. Unless it's going to be a super nice book with high gloss pages like a wildlife photography book, then I could definitely seeing it being spendy. Awesome idea in any event, I'm surprised he hadnt done this prior.
You're totally missing how most kickstarter funded projects work. You need capital to produce something. Kickstarter raises the capital, allowing the book to be printed, distributed, and eventually sold for some lower amount. When you support a kickstarter project, it's not an investment as there is no return. It's way to fund something that otherwise wouldn't exist at all. Some people are willing to chip in. In this case, the support is completely overwhelming.

Edit: Neihues is a brilliant artist. I'll be supporting or buying a copy.

BenedictGomez

When you support a kickstarter project, it's not an investment as there is no return. It's way to fund something that otherwise wouldn't exist at all.

Or not.

A $191,268 collect (and growing) with very limited word-of-mouth "marketing", suggests this was either a failure on the part of the publisher(s) who rejected the work, or Team Niehues knew there would be solid demand for his book and realized they'd maximize profit this way & never went to mass publishers in the first place.

bushpilot

Ordering a signed copy and large print. For those of you ordering a print which mountain are you planning on getting? The only one I have skied so far is Okemo. With any luck the Mt Bachelor one he is currently working on will be available.

JN MtB.jpg